PDA

View Full Version : Ouch!

HammerFANatic
03-28-2001, 01:41 PM
Hammer bidding is out of control at eBay and HF is caught up in the madness! :eek: Thank God I lost the auction, but I was going nuts for a while....was bidding on a MINT and complete set of lobby cards for the film, Captain Kronos-Vampire Hunter. Does anyone else here ever find themselves caught up in a bidding war for any Hammer items on eBay or for that matter, any items on eBay?

mutleyhyde
03-28-2001, 02:53 PM
Don't hate me, but I'm a sniper. I know, it's bad, but I figure the less activity during the auction, the less people involved will "compete". I mean, if they put their max bid up, then I beat that, eBayers normally either take offense or get the "fever" and try to gain the bid back. So if I wait, and put my max bid up at the end of the auction, it's the same as putting it in earlier, except that I've kept the frenzy factor out of it (unless extended parties end up competing). If my max doesn't get it, then fine, I can do without. What I don't do is "snipe until I win". That's dumb, because if you bid over what they bid, you still only pay the next bid increment, not what you bid. Anyway, you probably really didn't need to know all that, but that's my take on it. As for Hammer stuff, I've bid on several Twins of Evil auctions, but no luck yet. Years ago I did win a vintage Playboy Puzzle of the Collinson Twins. THAT was cool! :D

Paff
03-28-2001, 08:16 PM
Do any of you use snipe software? That's the thing that really pisses me off. I lost an auction to a sniper once, then I checked his bidding history, and every single one of his bids came EXACTLY 5 seconds before the end of auction, even if he was the only bidder, or even if the auction ended at 4AM.

I'll give a sniper props if he's got the item bookmarked, and throws in a bid at the last second. But programs that do that automatically are just uncool.

On the plus side, I once got the last laugh at a sniper. The Criterion edition of Halloween was available, minimum bid of $12. It wasn't a "must-have" for me, so I threw in a $13.01 bid. If it went higher, I wouldn't re-bid, I'd just wait till it came around again. Well, I won the auction, but it was for $13. I looked at the bid history, and someone put in a $12.50 bid with 3 seconds left, so it jumped up to $13. If the guy had just bid with time left so he could see my max, and was willing to pay just 50 cents more, it would have been his. A lesson to you snipers out there.

mutleyhyde
03-28-2001, 11:56 PM
lol, no, I don't use any programs, but I am a bit obsessive - whether it's 4 a.m., or I'm the only bidder, I'm probably right there at the end of the auction. I'm kinda wacky like that :rolleyes: . Yeah, I just won some oop dvds that way. I actually, for once, wasn't around for the end, and a twice bidding sniper just almost got 'em. Whew!

HammerFANatic
03-29-2001, 02:30 AM
I had no idea there was such a beast as *snipe software*! I like the hands-on approach, myself. ;) I tend to wait till the last minute to place a bid, then I'm forced to put a limit on a bid and if it's too high and I miss out, then it wasn't meant to happen. :( I'm the same way, MH....I've even gone so far as to set my alarm, if I was just too tired to stay up for the end of an auction! I think I need help..... :eek:

HammerFANatic
03-29-2001, 06:42 AM
Can't hate you for being a *sniper*, MH, because I more often than not do the same thing and for the same reasons! :D