PDA

View Full Version : My review of TRUE ROMANCE - Director's Cut 2 disc special edition

KillSwitch
04-01-2003, 07:59 PM
Ok. This is my second review. Let's hope I do better than the last one I did.
K, the film starts out in a bar where we meet Clarence Whorley. (Christian Slater) He is trying to pick up some chick (you know that chick that appears in alot of movies as a drugged out druggy... she was in the Crow too) Anyway, he's tryin to pick her up. He asks her to go see 3 kung fu movies with him, starring Sonny Chiba. She declines. The credits begin and then we see that there are alot of famous people in this flick. Holy macaroni!!
Then we meet Alabama (Patricia Arquette... what a dahling!!) and stuff happens, she sits next to Clarence in the theatre and he ends up taking her home to bed. They awaken and she confesses that she's a call girl and she was sent there by Clarence's boss cuz he needs to get laid and stuff. Anyway, they fall in love, get married and then Clarence finds out his bride's former pimp used to beat her up and whatnot. He says she shouldn't lose all her belongings, so he wants to go get them. Clarence's conscience (Val Kilmer... as Elvis) tells him to go kill the pimp, so he does.
Anyway, shit happens and we see that Clarence was given a suitcase but it contains alot of cocaine. So... like any smart person, they decide to go to Los Angeles and sell that shiot!!
The story unfolds more from there, the police and mob get involved. And it has (IMO) one of the bestest finales ever put on film.

The acting is pretty good in this film. The best performances coming from Dennis Hopper and Christopher Walken in that famous "Dennis Hopper/Christopher Walken scene" or as its also known "the sicilian scene"
Gary Oldman's performance is quite memorable as well. You will never see a darker, dirtier scumbag that this guy, let me tell you.
Brad Pitt is also good in this movie. He doesn't say much, he has very few scenes but you will remember his scenes long after the film is over.
The two leads are pretty good as well.

The picture quality of the 2 disc set is awesome. It's very clear and the colours are bright. I didn't notice any grain or anything.

We also get 3 running commentaries on this film as well. One from Christian Slater and Patricia Arquette. Another from director Tony Scott. and a final one from Writer Quentin Tarantino. All 3 are both informative and fun to listen to. Tarantino is a smart man. :)

On the second disc, we get a load of special features. There are deleted scenes and behind the scenes stuff. Alternate ending. Storyboards. Picture galleries, etc...

Overall, a nicely packaged set. A film that didn't receieve much fame when released gets the royal treatment here that it deserves. :)

Nick

DefJeff
04-01-2003, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by KillSwitch
He is trying to pick up some chick (you know that chick that appears in alot of movies as a drugged out druggy...

oh THAT chick! hahaha

seriously, awesome review. ive been dying to see this movie for awhile. i hear nothing but good things about it and i passed up seeing it many times. reading this made me tell my friend to bring the DVD over later

Zodiac-Mindwarp
04-01-2003, 08:19 PM
Very good review!

I picked this up recently for cheap, and have not had time to watch it yet.

This good review reminds that I need to get to it soon. :D

Suicide
04-01-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by KillSwitch
He is trying to pick up some chick (you know that chick that appears in alot of movies as a drugged out druggy

Courtney Love? Anyway I personally really like the elevator scene. Funny stuff. I just bought it recently, Best Buy had it for $12.50 a couple weeks ago. I recommend the movie to everyone as well. Very entertaining movie, apart from the Arquette/Gandolfini scene, which was pretty painful to watch. Just remember to be careful getting the DVD out of it's case, those Warner 2-Disc sets are an absolute bastard to get DVDs out of.

KillSwitch
04-02-2003, 02:19 AM
Yes, I forgot to mention that in the review. Those are a bitch to get off that little spindle thingy. Damn!! Be careful yŠll. :)

Nick

Grim
04-02-2003, 02:57 AM
One of my all time favorites, probably the only "romance" film I'll ever own. Great review KillSwitch, I'm still contemplating how I'll write my first review, I get cold feet every time I consider it.

legnadibrom
04-02-2003, 08:41 AM
i love this movie, i cant believe its not more popular than it is, quentin tarantino and tony scott? great pairing

mcchrist
04-02-2003, 09:58 AM
You know why this movie works so well? I absolutely adore it, it works on every level... I will admit that tarantino is a clever man, but the reason why this works is because he didn't star in it or directed it. he should stick to screenwriting IMO.

rhett
04-03-2003, 06:39 AM
You know you have one wacked out movie when Dennis Hopper is the most restrained character in the film! :)

I love TRUE ROMANCE. I saw this in theatres with my parents(!) before all the Tarantino hoopla, and I was just blown away. Great performances, amazingly witty dialogue and some seedy subject matter make this a must-see by everyone. Great review KS! I don't own the DVD yet (just the uncut VHS), but this is definitely on my "to buy" list.

mcchrist
04-03-2003, 07:55 AM
You know you have one wacked out movie when Dennis Hopper is the most restrained character in the film!
:)

Never a more true statement on this board. Just look at his career in the late 60's, early 70's... My god! :eek:

DVD Connoisseur
04-03-2003, 09:49 PM
One of my all-time favourite movies....it's almost too good to be true. As well as featuring, well, "everybody" (you literally lose track of all the well-known actors who appear in this film), the script just sizzles. And the film looks beautiful (as you'd expect from one of the Scotts).

True Romance is gripping drama, great humour and OTT violence, all successfully blended together. I have the DC on LD and it's probably my most watched film in this format. Simply excellent.

If you haven't seen this movie, GIVE IT A SPIN!

Grim
04-03-2003, 09:59 PM
This is probably one of the best films of the nineties. My favorite Quentin Tarantino story, although I am glad he didn't direct because then clarence would've died but then again in the commentary Tarantino says that his version would've been alot different and darker and tony's ending was the better one for his version Great film, Great Cast, and probably the only tarantino written film that you can see with a girl and get her in the mood.:D

KillerCannabis
04-08-2003, 08:56 AM
This is a great 2-disc set for a great movie. My only complaint (as is most everyone else's) is that the music sucks serious ass. Its such a shame because the movie could have REALLY kicked ass with a better score.

mcchrist
04-08-2003, 11:21 AM
I never noticed the music in this one, to be honest. I'll pay attention next time.

legnadibrom
04-08-2003, 01:35 PM
yeah that hanz zimmer score sucks mega-assholes, and on the commentaries everyone mentions how great the music is, i hate zimmer's generic bombastic, bruckheimer scores, but i hate this gay cocoa-cabana crap even more, on the commentary tarantino mentions that tony scott only used one of his music cues, i guess that means tony scott has shitty taste in music,
all the full-on tarantino films have fucking fabo soundtracks, especially "jackie brown"
Originally posted by KillerCannabis
This is a great 2-disc set for a great movie. My only complaint (as is most everyone else's) is that the music sucks serious ass. Its such a shame because the movie could have REALLY kicked ass with a better score.