PDA

View Full Version : 2 new Hammer DVDs

jae
03-31-2001, 07:06 PM
I heard about this a few weeks ago but didn't really know what they were.. Uh.. I still don't know exactly what they are and what all they contain but the text from the Hammer site is below.

Hammer site also has pictures of the covers. Are these worth looking into? Are the trailer DVDs going to have stuff like Twins of Evil that aren't available on the Anchor Bay DVD?

---

On 3 July, the DVDs The Horror of Hammer and Tales of Frankenstein will be released by All Day Entertainment in the US. The Horror of Hammer is a 97-minute compilation of original trailers, and Tales of Frankenstein is a 105-minute disc featuring trailers, interviews, and the complete unbroadcast pilot of Hammer's Tales of Frankenstein, starring Anton Diffring as the Baron. Both of these sound as though they're well worth tracking down.

HammerFANatic
04-01-2001, 12:26 PM
I thought I'd posted about this a week or so ago, but it looks as if I completely forgot, so I thank Jae for posting this info. :) I checked to see what films may be covered in the trailer disc and this is what was listed:
Curse of Frankenstein
Revenge of Frankenstein
Evil of Frankenstein
Frankenstein Created Woman
Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed
Horror of Frankenstein
Frankenstein and the Monster From Hell
Abominable Snowman of the Himalayas
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Creeping Unknown
Enemy From Space
Five Million Years to Earth
X the Unknown
These are the Damned
One Million Years BC
When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth
Creatures the World Forgot
The Old Dark House
Nightmare
The Devil’s Own
Devil’s Bride
To the Devil a Daughter
Plague of the Zombies
Curse of the Werewolf
The Mummy
Curse of the Mummy’s Tomb
The Mummy’s Shroud
Blood From the Mummy’s Tomb
Rasputin
The Reptile
Stranglers of Bombay
The Man Who Could Cheat Death
The Gorgon
Night Creatures
Phantom of the Opera
House of Fright
Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde
Horror of Dracula
Brides of Dracula
Dracula Prince of Darkness
Dracula Has Risen From the Grave
Taste the blood of Dracula
Scars of Dracula
Dracula AD 1972
Dracula and His Vampire Bride
Kiss of the Vampire
Capt. Kronos Vampire Hunter
The Vampire Lovers
Lust For a Vampire
Twins of Evil
Vampire Circus
Countess Dracula
The 7 Brothers and Their One Sister Meet Dracula

Plus Additional Bonus!
When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth alternate version
Beauties and Beasts (original behind-the-scenes promotional short for When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth)
Brides of Dracula alternate version
Dracula AD 1972 alternate version
Prince of Terror (original behind-the-scenes promotional short for Dracula AD 1972)
Countess Dracula alternate version

I'd say from some of the tiels being used in the trailers that these are mainly the US trailers, but some I've never seen and I can't wait to watch this disc! :D

As for, Tales of Frankenstein:

For the first time on DVD, you’ll see the half-hour pilot for a TV series, Tales of Frankenstein, produced by Hammer films in 1959, directed by Curt (Donovan’s Brain) Siodmak, plus hysterical appearances by Lon Chaney and Glenn Strange with Abbott and Costello, and a clip from Chaney’s ill-fated broadcast of Frankenstein on the early live TV anthology Tales of Tomorrow. As extra added-value attractions, this DVD also includes an audio interview with Boris Karloff, a filmed interview with Karloff, and interviews with Hammer producer Michael Carreras and “Baron Frankenstein” himself, actor Peter Cushing. Plus.....Tales of Frankenstein Trailer Collection:
Frankenstein
Bride of Frankenstein
Son of Frankenstein
Boris Karloff interview
Ghost of Frankenstein
Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman
House of Frankenstein
House of Dracula
Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein
Curse of Frankenstein
How to Make a Monster
I Was a Teenage Frankenstein
Frankenstein’s Daughter
Frankenstein Conquers the World
Frankenstein Meets the Space Monster
Munster Go Home
Frankenstein 1970
Jesse James Meets Frankenstein’s Daughter & Billy the Kid vs. Dracula
Lady Frankenstein
Dracula vs. Frankenstein
Frankenstein Created Woman
Michael Carreras Interview
Tales of Frankenstein (1958 Hammer TV Pilot, with alternate audio commentary track)
Tales of Tomorrow (excerpts from Lon Chaney’s appearance as Frankenstein)
Young Frankenstein

Plus Additional Bonus!
[list]
Frankenstein re-issue trailer
Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein bloopers
Abbott and Costello TV appearance
How to Make a Monster, alternate version
and radio interviews with Boris Karloff and Glenn Strange

Sounds like two discs that definitely need to be in any Hammer fan's collection and possibly any Universal fan's as well!

mutleyhyde
04-02-2001, 02:07 AM
Twins of Evil... 'nuff said, baby! :D

jae
04-02-2001, 06:33 AM
Thanks for the info :) How are they able to put all of these trailers out on DVD? I would think that the rights problems between all the different companies holding the Hammer movies and even Universal would keep them from releasing the DVDs.

I just took a look at their site (didn't know they had the specs up yet) and the Hammer DVD even has a commentary with 3 'horror scholars'. Sounds cool.

But it definately sounds like I'll get them both. There are alot of cool trailers on the Hammer DVD. I usually don't like buying trailer only DVDs but these sound good and most of this stuff probably won't show up on DVD anytime soon. Then you have to convenience of having them all together if you just want to run through some trailers.

HammerFANatic
04-02-2001, 12:43 PM
These two discs do sound very promising, don't they? I know I'll be adding these to my collection...one way or another. :D

Diamondhead
04-02-2001, 02:59 PM
JAE - Before the mid-eighties trailers were public domain (i.e. studios didn't copyright trailers) so no rights problems. I'm really looking forward to these DVDs, I looooove trailers!

jae
04-02-2001, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the info. So now the question is why didn't Anchor Bay put any of these trailers on their old DVD? I can only assume they didn't want to track them down..

Anyways I'm also looking forward to them both. Not so much the 2nd one though. It would be cool if they had thrown some more trailers on there like for the Dracula movies but I know its not a Tales of Dracula DVD. :)

HammerFANatic
04-03-2001, 01:30 PM
I always assumed that Anchor Bay was just interested in showcasing the Hammer films they were planning to release to DVD at the time the trailer disc was released.

mutleyhyde
05-31-2001, 04:57 AM
Found this over at Amazon. A few other etailers have it to though. Check www.dvdpricesearch.com. (http://www.dvdpricesearch.com.)
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005KH28.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005KH2A.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Yayy! The July 3rd date seems to be holding. Keep yer fingers crossed! :D

HammerFANatic
06-02-2001, 01:28 AM
These are fantastic looking covers and I'm hoping the scheduled release date holds, too! :D