PDA

View Full Version : Rumors about Warner Hammer DVDs?

jae
04-01-2001, 09:28 PM
I just saw this on Sinister Cinemas message board. Don't know if its for real though. Could be just a rumor.

--

: Yes Warner is going to release Curse Of Frankenstein, Horror Of Dracula & The Mummy onto dvd. But it will be region 2 only (U.K). Fat lot of good that does most of us here in the states.What marketing geniuses!

They're also set to release special edition DVDs in the US sometime during the halloween season. I believe we can expect Christopher Lee commentaries...

HammerFANatic
04-02-2001, 01:42 PM
It is true about the UK release of those films on DVD, Jae....if you scroll down a couple of topics in the forum, you'll see the subject headline: Big News For Hammer Fans....Region 2.

jae
04-02-2001, 06:29 PM
I knew they were releasing R2 DVDs I was more surprised by this guy saying that Warner is scheduled to release them as SEs in the US around Halloween with Christopher Lee commentaries. Is that true?

HammerFANatic
04-03-2001, 02:35 PM
I'm not 100% clear on this, myself.....I believe the Dr Jekyll and Sister Hyde disc will include a bonus disc of trailers(?) and the Scars of Dracula disc will include a bonus disc featuring the documentary, The Many Faces of Christopher Lee. If anyone has any other info ir if my info is wrong, please feel free to correct me and offer any info you can.

mutleyhyde
04-03-2001, 03:23 PM
HF, the AB webmaster told me that it was the Blood from the Mummys Tomb that will have the extra trailers disc. Also from what he told me, you are right about the Scars dvd. But tell me please, what's up with MGM? Has anyone else seen this? If you can't quite tell, this is the VHS... where the hell is the dvd!?! I saw this at amazon and literally felt a slap in the face. :mad:
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0792846761.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

mutleyhyde
04-04-2001, 03:56 AM
HF, the Vampire Lovers Midnight Movies VHS edition came out Sept. last year. As far as I can tell, the Lust For a Vampire on VHS that came out in 94 has been unavailable for a while. I don't know about ALL of the MGM Midnight Movies being ported to dvd, but after all the flak over the last chat, I received an email from an MGM mole that Vampire Lovers and Hound of the Baskervilles (not in the Midnight Movie line, but an MGM Hammer nonetheless) are scheduled for 2002. No mention of Quatermass was made, but I suspect they'll eventually put that one out on dvd too. My gripe is that they put these out on VHS, and don't commit to dvd for another year?? I just don't get it. I mean, part of me wants to run out and get the Quatermass and Lovers VHS, but I haven't bought VHS for over a year, and for good reason. (Somebody stop me if I'm rambling.) Not only is it an inferior media, but if I know that I'll just be buying it again later, well, that just riles me. I had a few AB videos before I started collecting dvds, and that was hard enough replacing those videos. Not too hard, as I was going to dvd, but it's just the fact of throwing more money at the same title in a relatively short period of time.

---sigh---

Okay, my final answer... the fifteen or so bucks each that I save not buying MGM Midnight Movie VHS I will put towards buying more Anchor Bay Hammers and Criterions in general. When is MGM going to realize this simple truth? Aghh, okay, I will quit bitching now. :rolleyes:

Styx
04-04-2001, 04:48 AM
I just don't get it. I mean, part of me wants to run out and get the Quatermass and Lovers VHS, but I haven't bought VHS for over a year, and for good reason.

...And that's exactly why MGM releases the VHS way before the DVD. They know impatient fans will run out and snatch up the VHS release and then buy the DVD a few months later.

With the little work they do on most (actually 99.9%) of their DVD releases there's no excuse for these titles to be absent. Of course I'd wait years if it meant the quality would be very good but unfortunately "quality" and "MGM" are two words that never go together.

HammerFANatic
04-04-2001, 07:34 AM
MH, thanks for clearing that up for me....I wasn't real sure and I knew some fellow Hammer fan would have the correct answers! :) Was it Vampire Lovers that was released last year or Lust For A Vampire? I have both prerecords, so never bothered checking these new releases out. I don't know how true this is, but I have heard that we can expect most, if not all of the current [i]Midnite Movies[/b] videos to see a DVD release. I sure hope so, that would give us several AIP films and the Quatermass Xperiment as well as, Vampire Lovers if this is true. :D

HammerFANatic
04-04-2001, 03:41 PM
I certainly know that I have absolutely no patience in waiting for a DVD release and if I don't have a Hammer film in my collection and it's offered as a video first, I will purchase it....my youngest brother makes out like a bandit, because he often receives my extras on video!