PDA

View Full Version : My review of BRAINDEAD (PAL Region 2 disc)

KillSwitch
04-02-2003, 07:38 PM
k, Braindead is probably one of the few gore comedy films that I truly love. The story is a simple one. A Rat Monkey from Sumatra is brought back to New Zealand and put in a zoo. But before we find out that, we meet Lionel. Lionel is a momma's boy and he is one big wimp. His Mum is one mean old crotchety bitch, lemme tell ya. We also meet Paquita who is looking for her one true love. Anyway, thanks to Paquita's grandmother, Lionel and she end up going out on a date to the zoo. Lionels mother follows and she is bitten on the arm by the Rat Monkey. The Rat Monkey is quickly disposed of by Mum, and Lionel leaves Paquita alone as he takes his injured Mum home. From there, things start happening to Lionel's Mum... gross things. Icky Oogy things. Like ears falling off and face peelings. Anyway, it becomes apparent that Lionel's Mum is turning into something that craves flesh. A zombie perhaps!!! :) Anyway, she dies and Lionel inherits the house and money. We meet his uncle Les at this point, who wants the house and money for himself. Damn greedy guy!!!
Anyway, stuff happens and Lionel ends up harboring 4 of these dead things. (5 soon enough with the birth of Baby Selwyn) Uncle Les throws a big party for his snobby drunk friends and all hell breaks loose in the house. Blood flies this way and that way. Heads roll. Arms and Legs go this-a-way and that-a-way. Joy!! This all leads up to a terrificly bloody finale with a lawnmower. :)

Peter Jackson is one damn entertaining filmmaker. There is not one PJ film that I don't like. I've enjoyed every one of his films. The film moves along nicely. Its always funny. (especially the Baby Selwyn stuff) He truly delivered the goods with the way he exaggerated the gore and all that stuff.

The Region 2 PAL disc is presented in 1,66:1 widescreen (tho it looks alot like 1,85:1 to me) It is slightly grainy though, buts it no biggy. The thing about this release is that it is completely uncut. Every blood splashing moment is here, from the opening arm chopping to the final gorey gut spill in the finale. Amazing!!

As extras, we get a photo gallery which is all of maybe 12 photos... maybe less. We get trailers (one for Braindead, one for Premutos... looks like crap to me... but that's just me, and one for one other one. Forgive me, I forgot what it was) There is also a very small filmography for PJ. :)

Ahhh... one other thing. There is word going around that the spanish subs are not removeable. Have no fear fellow horror fans, Nick is here!! All you have to do is go to the language set up menu, click on english language, then selct spanish subs, start the movie. Then wait a few seconds and then go back to the main menu, go back to language selections and click on "No subtitles" and viola!! No subs! :)

Anyway, a very fun movie to watch. If you have a sense of humour, enjoy!! I watched this with some friends and they totally hated it. Dumbasses!! From the opening, its pretty obvious its not a film to take seriously. Oh well. :) :)

Nick

DefJeff
04-02-2003, 08:14 PM
nice review, but i really dont like this movie. i feel its soooooo overrated.

Zodiac-Mindwarp
04-03-2003, 12:46 AM
I love this movie!

I have yet to see the totally uncut version of it, since the American unrated version is still cut.

Another good review KillSwitch!

If I ever go Region Free I will have to be sure and pick this one up.

mcchrist
04-03-2003, 01:12 AM
nice review, but i really dont like this movie. i feel its soooooo overrated.

I second Jeff on this one, its fun to a degree but at the same time I think I'd rather be at the dentist.

newyorkripper
04-03-2003, 04:15 AM
One of my fave zombie films! I completely agree that every Peter Jackson film has been great. Comedy and horror usually don't mix well but this is a great combination. I also would love to see it uncut but the R1 release is pretty paltry. Hopefully someone like Anchor Bay or Elite will get the rights to release this uncut.

"I kick ass for the Lord!" :lol:

thrashard76
04-03-2003, 05:13 AM
While I haven't seen the Braindead version (only Dead Alive) I must say it is very humorous and gory (and it works). ;) I'd rank it with ROTLD 1 / 2 and ReAnimator. :evil:

patmcgahern
04-03-2003, 11:51 PM
A good thought would be to pick up the UK R0 disc. Its English language, completely uncut so no muckin about

mcchrist
04-04-2003, 12:04 AM
I think what bothers me the most about this movie, and completely destroys it IMO, is the soundtrack! A most horrible and grating soundtrack! Its pretty much the same for most of Jackson's earlier work, but Braindead sports perhaps some of the worst music I've ever heard. I can't sit still through this long enough.

KillerCannabis
04-07-2003, 08:46 AM
I think its got quite a lot of hype around it always but its still one of my favorite zombie flicks. I'd love to get my hands on a completely uncut version and it seems like R2 is the way to go.

Latency
04-08-2003, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by mcchrist
I think what bothers me the most about this movie, and completely destroys it IMO, is the soundtrack! A most horrible and grating soundtrack! Its pretty much the same for most of Jackson's earlier work, but Braindead sports perhaps some of the worst music I've ever heard. I can't sit still through this long enough.

WHAT ?????? The soundtrack kicked so much arse! It was perfect ! It was crazy yet creepy and horribly hard to get out of your head.

Latency
04-08-2003, 03:14 AM
Oh, great review BTW :)

mcchrist
04-08-2003, 03:14 AM
No dude, I cannot agree with you at all. The soundtrack was absolutely horrible, I've never heard shite like that before.

Latency
04-08-2003, 03:57 AM
LoL, I don't care if you agree or not. I still like it. I repect your opinion though.

Nocturnaloner
04-08-2003, 11:58 AM
Braindead (and I mean BRAINDEAD) is on my short list of the greatest films of all time. When you realize how much better it is to this day than so much crap that cost 10 times as much to make, is when you see Peter Jackson's true genius. Budget filmmaking that doesn't suck. That includes the soundtrack, which, though uber-cheese, is still handled perfectly. Frankly I never noticed it that much. It does what it's supposed to do.

I have the (out of print?) Laser Paradise version, which probably has the same transfer as the Spanish one.