PDA

View Full Version : Black Cat on TCM

Paff
04-04-2003, 04:11 AM
Extremely late notice (20 minutes), but the Lugosi/Karloff classic The Black Cat is on TCM at 8:30 (Pacific Time).

Cool old movie...

Chucky P
04-04-2003, 06:42 AM
Yes Paff, it is a very cool movie.

X-human
04-06-2003, 05:27 AM
The Curse of the Cat People was shown before it, unfortunatly I had forgotten about that, but was able to catch Black Cat. Besides the fact that Bela has a LOT more lines and flays Karloff rightside up (upside down last's longer) , I found it to be a very good movie, incredibly well shot.

When are we ever going to see this on DVD or the other Universal classics rereleased?

dwatts
04-09-2007, 10:26 PM
I did a double-bill of Lugosi tonight, with Karloff in tow for both.

The Black Cat is a strange film, a mix of war time angst, satanism, and lust. The film starts, as many films of the time started, with a car accident, and then uses the device of a remote house trapping it's inhabitants overnight (typically a storm rain-drenched night) while some horror plays out. Throw in a beautiful alluring girl, a new husband, and a mad scientist type - and you have the set really.

Still, you either like these films or not, and for me they work. I missed the more gothic settings - Karloff's house in this movie is high-tech for its day, with doors that disapear into walls, and strangely concrete architecture. Mind you, the basement kept some of the gothic settings, and we all know the film is going to end down there somehow.

And how! What we get is a meeting of satanists who arrive as if from nowhere. It's out of place in the film, and really isn't needed for the central thrust of the story, however, it does introduce a bizarre set.

Lugosi revels in being the "good" guy, albeit someone twisted by his past. Karloff is oblique and strangely looks like a character from Flash Gordon.

Nice excursion this though, Lugosi is good, and at a little over an hour, never gets boring. Liked it.

I assume X-human has his copies now. :D