PDA

View Full Version : My Review of FROM DUSK TILL DAWN - Collector's Series

KillSwitch
04-04-2003, 07:50 PM
When you mix Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino together... you are definitely gonna get a violent messed up movie. This is the case with From Dusk Till Dawn. The story is about two brothers, Seth and Richard Gecko. (George Clooney and Quentin Tarantino) Richard has just helped his brother Seth break out of prison and are now on the lam. They robbed a bank and have taken a lady bankteller hostage. We soon see that Seth is the smart one in this duo, he is calm and collected. He knows what to do. Richard ont he other hand, is one crazy mofo. He is trigger happy and a sex offender as well. When Seth goes to check on the border, Richard rapes and kills the hostage. Seth comes back and sees what his brother has done. They then decide they can't get across the border themselves so they need something or someone to help them. An RV pulls up eventually. This is where we meet the Fuller Family. Jacob (Harvey Keitel) is the father. Kate (Juliette Lewis) is the daughter and Scott (Ernest Liu) is the son. The momma she be passed on, due to a slippery road back inthe day. Anyway, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what happens next. The family is taken hostage and Jacon is forced to take them across the border into Mexico. After the border, they hole up in a bar called the Titty Twister, where Seth is to meet his contact. (He is guaranteed total freedom and protection from the law if he gives his contact 30% of the loot) Anyway, this bar is host to Vampires and after a little boozin, they vamps attack. What follows is a good old fashioned bloodbath/monster movie.

From Dusk Till Dawn is presented in 1,85:1 widescreen. The image is clear and free of grain and stuff, seeing as the film is fairly new. Sound is 5.1 surround.

Special features on this 2 disc set are plentiful. We get a commentary from Rodriguez and Tarantino. I have to admit, Tarantino is kind of annoying on this commentary. He laughs to much and it is the most annoying laugh ever. :) But still, I like the man. He's a good writer. Overall, a good commentary. Just that laugh... grrrr...

We also have outtakes (Clooney is the bomb when he gets pissed when flubbing lines)
There are deleted and alternate scenes. There are some cool gore shots also, but some of the fx weren't completed so it looks really cheap and cartoony. The best deleted gore stuff is all the stuff involving the "Mouth Bitch"vampire. Damn that is some cool stuff!!
There is also the "Hollywood goes to Hell"feature. Its all behind the scenes stuff. Those of you who own the VHS already have seen some of this. The one on this DVD is longer.
There are music videos by ZZ Top and Tito and Tarantula. Both directed by Rodriguez.
One of the most enjoyable features on this first disc is "The Art of Making The Movie" It is broken into 4 sections (I think) and it details the making of the movie with commentary by Rodriguez and make up artist Greg Nicotero. Emphasis is placed on special fx make up inthe last 2 segments. Really cool stuff here!!
There is also and "On The Set"segment... the usual behind the scenes stuff again.
We also have some cast and crew bios and the theatrical trailer to finsih off the disc.

The second disc has the documentary Full Tilt Boogie. This is pretty good and interesting. It shows you what its like to be on a movie set like this and the problems you face. It also shows how the tabloids turn stuff around and make it something its not. The opening to this documentaryis pretty funny as Tarantino and Clooney are lost in the production building, trying to find there way to the set. :)

Overall, A fun movie. It really feels like 2 movies. The first hour or so is a crime film, like Tarantino's other films. Then spirals in horror comedy in the last half. The performances are gnerally good. They know what kind of movie they are making and go on that. Anyway, check it out. :)

Oh ya... Cheech Marin has the funniest lines in this movie. :)

Nick

Hellbilly
04-04-2003, 09:25 PM
Chicken Pussy :D

Great review KillSwitch. I still have the SE LD since this DVD ain't 16:9 enhanced.

Bummer.

blairmonster
04-04-2003, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by KillSwitch
Oh ya... Cheech Marin has the funniest lines in this movie. :)

"If you buy one pussy, you get another pussy for equal or less value for ONE PENNY! If you can find cheaper pussy anywhere else.....FUCK IT!"

Excuse the profanity, but that is a classic line that had to be reprinted here :D

Good review KillSwitch...awesome film.

moogong
04-04-2003, 10:21 PM
Great movie review! Awesome movie with shitty sequels!

Did anybody else think Tarantino looked like Frankenberry when he turned into the vampire?

Andrew
04-05-2003, 07:42 AM
I still haven't gotten this disc. I really need to though.

blairmonster
04-07-2003, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by moogong
Great movie review! Awesome movie with shitty sequels!

Did anybody else think Tarantino looked like Frankenberry when he turned into the vampire?

Wow! It's so true!

http://www.ifrance.com/tarantino/images/VampRg.JPG
http://www.letsgetwacky.com/wobblers/frankenberry/frankenhead.gif

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That's awesome moogong!

KillerCannabis
04-07-2003, 08:37 AM
Nice review. This really is a fun vampire flick and BV went out out with the release. I'm glad it got the 2-disc SE treatment it deserves. I havent bothered with any of the sequels and I dont think I will. I'm more than happy with just the original.

bigdaddyhorse
04-07-2003, 11:13 PM
Heey Hellbilly, are the deleted scenes on the laserdisc IN the movie, or still in the supplement section?
I'm guessing Sup. sec., but the "director's edition" banner makes me think they might be back in.