PDA

View Full Version : Edison's Frankenstein Showing in NJ

Shannafey
04-04-2003, 07:13 PM
I wish I could be up there for this. I have wanted to see this for so long. I wish that jerk would let someone produce a dvd of the film for sale!!

http://www.silentera.com/info/showings/FLFC2003-1.html

mutleyhyde
04-05-2003, 03:42 AM
Too cool! This is one of the very few times in my life I've ever wished I could be in Jersey!

Maybe somebody will sneak in a video camera for us. ;)

mcchrist
04-05-2003, 04:26 AM
one word...

FINALLY!

I mean, jeez! They guy has been promising a new master and a VHS, which was held up because he was sick and all... But still! I was afraid we'd never see it, a showing is much different than a tape, but since I can't make it to NJ... Somebody better get off their ass! Its an old fucker who owns this, he can keel over at any minute! Not to mention, if its the only surviving print I'd be duplicating that shit before I'd go any further, what if something were to happen at the showing? Anything could happen! Jeez!

Shannafey
04-06-2003, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by mutleyhyde
Too cool! This is one of the very few times in my life I've ever wished I could be in Jersey!

:D :D :D :D

X-human
04-06-2003, 05:20 AM
Frankenstein is a favorite of mine, I even own an 8mm copy of Whale's Bride, I've been waiting for this for a long time. I hope it's release is coming soon, hell, I'll start a production company just for this release if that's what needs to be done! :D

mutleyhyde
04-06-2003, 05:40 AM
By the way, here's an older thread on Edison's Frankenstein that has some good background info...
http://www.horrordvds.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6258&highlight=edison

mcchrist
04-06-2003, 06:02 AM
Thanks hyde, that's one of my fave threads!

Shannafey
04-15-2003, 03:57 PM
A truly unique event for Frankenstein fans will be unspooling at the Landmark Loew's Jersey Theater (at Journal Square in Jersey City, NJ) Saturday, April 26 and Sunday, April 27: the theatrical re-premiere of Thomas Edison's 1910 film of FRANKENSTEIN. This movie was long thought lost until collector Alois Dettlaff of Wisconsin revealed that he had a print in his archives; after holding off from allowing it to be screened for copyright concerns, he has now authorized its DVD release in the near future, as well as the Jersey Theater showings.

Edison's FRANKENSTEIN is just part of the weekend's programs, however. Saturday's show will also include James Whale's 1931 FRANKENSTEIN, in a new print that restores censored scenes; THIRD DIMENSIONAL MURDER, a rare 1941 Frankenstein short presented in 3-D (glasses provided); a collection of Universal Frankenstein trailers; and Mel Brooks' YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN. Sunday's lineup consists of the Edison film; Hammer's THE REVENGE OF FRANKENSTEIN in a dye-transfer Technicolor archival print; THIRD DIMENSIONAL MURDER; Frankenstein trailers from the '50s through the '90s; and YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN. Admission for each day's program is $7 for adults, $4 for children and seniors under 12; go to www.loewsjersey.org for more info. (thanks to Fangoria.com)

mcchrist
04-15-2003, 05:47 PM
HOT DAMN!

This calls for bananas... :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

I wonder what will be on the DVD?

Shannafey
04-15-2003, 07:50 PM
I'm just happy for knowing there's a chance to see this lost classic!!

Cydeous
04-20-2003, 12:55 AM
I remember the famous still from this film haunting me when I was a kid. I never thought that I'd ever see it. I can't wait for the DVD! I wonder if it will be on a short film compilation or something since its runtime is only 14min.

marioscido
04-20-2003, 01:05 AM
Wow! I too was haunted by that famous still from the film. But I've never seen it. Is the film touring around major cities, or is this a once off showning?

Shannafey
05-03-2003, 04:03 AM
What's this crap about the dvd only being sold at the event? Is this just Ebay BS???
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3323731368&category=41559

mcchrist
05-03-2003, 09:05 AM
OK, now I'm getting nervous...

:nervous:

Based on how the ownder of the film has been such a dick about it for the past several years, it sounds like his son is just as bad... If this is true, he's going to milk it for all its worth, one very limited edition at a time... :mad: Somebody needs to DVD-R this shit and bootleg his ass!

Shannafey
05-03-2003, 05:25 PM
MC, my little sis lives in North Jersey. If I would have known this, I would have begged her to go there to pick one up for me. Then, I would have recorded it for everyone on the forum, just for spite!! I am so pissed!!

Shannafey
05-05-2003, 03:44 AM
OK MC, Check it out. I just sent them an email.
http://www.digitallyobsessed.com/showarticle.php3?ID=63

mcchrist
05-05-2003, 04:41 AM
thanks, will do the same.

X-human
05-06-2003, 12:02 AM
Window framed, hot dog, he's got some sense, even if it does have logos on the corners.

dwatts
05-06-2003, 01:05 AM
Actaully, I find the whole thing repugnant. This jerk-off owns the movie, great. But they way he's using it is awful. If I had any interest in seeing this film - it is diminished knowing this idiot will get some proceeds from it.

Deaddevilman
05-06-2003, 03:36 AM
Great movie plot: deranged fans sacrafice selfish holder of old horror movie in order to rise in their religous sect, Frankentology.

Shannafey
05-06-2003, 03:54 AM
That's why only one of us needs a copy, then we rip it and distribute it to the whole forum!!

mcchrist
05-06-2003, 05:20 AM
Indeed!

dwatts
05-06-2003, 11:00 AM
Heh!

Well, that means someone has to fork out $25, and then give the film out to people for free.

You know it is a bit much. As anti-piracy as *I* am, and I've no problem with this jerk-off owner whose name we'll never remember. The movie belongs in a museum! We need to deal. Someone send me a DVD from my wish list, and I'll pick this one up :D

TATU
05-06-2003, 11:23 PM
They had Edison's Frankenstein on the Sci-Fi like once last year. I caught the last twelve minutes.

dwatts
05-06-2003, 11:32 PM
I think it's only 12 minutes long ;)

mcchrist
05-07-2003, 12:40 AM
:D

dwatts
05-07-2003, 12:46 AM
Here's a quote:

"Although only 975 feet long, and running a brief 12m:38s"

So, TATU - you missed the opening 38 seconds only. I don't expect that ruined the plot or anything.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

X-human
05-07-2003, 05:05 AM
I've e-mailed'em, but have yet to get a response.

The movie is in public domain after all (99.9% sure about that), so it's not really piracy if someone else gave away copies.

mcchrist
05-07-2003, 05:19 AM
That's not really how it works though, the movie itself may be public domain, but the source materials aren't. He owns the source, he had the DVD manufactured, etc. Same reason why you just can't go out and copy word for word a version of Beowulf or something, because that's not your translation.

X-human
05-07-2003, 02:40 PM
True, a restoration maybe covered. Was the VHS release that website talked about a restoration or just a copy of the source? It'd be interesting to look this stuff up.

mcchrist
05-07-2003, 10:31 PM
It doesn't matter if the VHS WAS just a copy from the source, the fact is that the VHS wasn't put out for public domain. It is still his. The only way this movie will go public domain at this point is if another print is found and the people who find it allow it for that kind of distribution. Or if it is found by a non-profit group or something. Or the surviving members of the family die and it ends up in those kinds of hands. As of now, any copy of the movie is copyrighted to this guy (I don't know his name), only because he's the owner of the only print.

Shannafey
05-07-2003, 10:43 PM
Well, I still haven't gotten an email from them. I want to see this film and SO BAD!!

X-human
05-08-2003, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by mcchrist
It doesn't matter if the VHS WAS just a copy from the source, the fact is that the VHS wasn't put out for public domain. It is still his. The only way this movie will go public domain at this point is if another print is found and the people who find it allow it for that kind of distribution. Or if it is found by a non-profit group or something. Or the surviving members of the family die and it ends up in those kinds of hands. As of now, any copy of the movie is copyrighted to this guy (I don't know his name), only because he's the owner of the only print.

I really think that just because you own the film on a reel doesn't automatically mean you have distribution rights, if it's in public domain it's pretty much up for grabs.

http://reason.com/9904/fe.co.mail.shtml

"Sinister and Something Weird are unusual among the outfits that sell public-domain videos because they transfer films to video themselves to maintain reproduction quality. Most sellers simply copy tapes bought from the companies that have done the legwork of tracking down obscure films. An irony not lost on industry players is that the same cheap, popular VCR technology that helped create their market in the first place also makes it easy for their tapes to be copied and resold by others. It's a sore point, but absolutely legal in the world of public-domain media."

'Copying is rampant in the business,' says Craig Ledbetter, who runs European Trash Cinema, which also does its own transfers. Originally started as a zine, ETC sells mostly foreign drive-in movie fare (e.g., Lonely Violent Beach, an Italian film about a couple terrorized by a biker gang), but also carries art films by directors such as Jean-Luc Godard. The firms that do their own transfers have responded to knock-off competitors in several ways. Some put their company logo in the bottom corner of the screen on their tapes. Others simply offer better service and cheaper prices."

This is the whole reason why this release of Frankenstein has a logo on it, it's also not something they want to shoot from the roof tops. How this applies to restorations or even re-editing of a film I don't know. It's pretty clear cut though that a straight up copy from the source is fair game.

mcchrist
05-08-2003, 03:28 AM
That may be true. You aren't going to get in trouble for copying the film, but my point was that you can't legally licence the film for distribution. That would be like raiding a private collection, scanning a copy of an old painting and selling the print. You can't do that.

Shannafey
05-08-2003, 05:17 AM
Got the email about ordering tonight. I want to order the thing this week. Damn email states it takes 4 to 6 weeks for delivery. This is really getting old!!

X-human
05-08-2003, 06:53 AM
Yep, got the e-mail. I'll be sending it out shortly, I can wait.

Originally posted by mcchrist
That may be true. You aren't going to get in trouble for copying the film, but my point was that you can't legally licence the film for distribution. That would be like raiding a private collection, scanning a copy of an old painting and selling the print. You can't do that.

No, it's more like an owner of a private collection sends you a poster print of a work in public domain which you scan and place on your website. You can do that.

You'd need permission to copy or photograph someone else's property, this is true, but this is also universally true for any item owned by another, but once you're given a copy (or the actual property) there is nothing the seller can do.

How did we get on licensing? Nobody can license a work in public domain, that defeats the purpose of public domain. You can legally sell it, but you can't license it. You could sell the permission to use a physical form of your personal copy of the film, but I believe you can't license the use of the movie.

Shannafey
05-09-2003, 03:51 AM
You guys, I just bought one off Ebay. A guy has a buttload up there and a few, he has a buy it now for $24.95 and $3.85 shipping. He has a good rating, and I figure it's a little cheaper, you can pay with paypal, and he won't make you wait 4 to 6 weeks. I had a bid for $19.50 going on one, then some dickhead beats me in the last 15 seconds. I really freaking hate that shit. Nobody touched my bid until that last few seconds. What an asswipe! I put a bid in at $23, figuring, if I didn't get it, I'd just buy one on buy it now. I will let you know when I get it.

X-human
05-09-2003, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Shannafey
You guys, I just bought one off Ebay. A guy has a buttload up there and a few, he has a buy it now for $24.95 and $3.85 shipping. He has a good rating, and I figure it's a little cheaper, you can pay with paypal, and he won't make you wait 4 to 6 weeks. I had a bid for $19.50 going on one, then some dickhead beats me in the last 15 seconds. I really freaking hate that shit. Nobody touched my bid until that last few seconds. What an asswipe! I put a bid in at $23, figuring, if I didn't get it, I'd just buy one on buy it now. I will let you know when I get it.

Cool, I'm all over that. Any idea what the reserve may be set at?

Shannafey
05-09-2003, 02:32 PM
Well, at $19.50, the reserve had been met, but most times it just gets close to $25 anyway, so that's why I bought one on the buy it now feature. I get sick of bothering, and as I said, that asshole last night stole it from me, in like the last 10 seconds. I hit refresh, and I had lost. Really pissed me off, since he only saved about a buck. He could have just bought one with the buy it now feature, but instead he had to screw me.

dwatts
05-11-2003, 02:13 AM
Here is a company selling them for $20.

http://www.creepyclassics.com/scripts/shopplus.cgi?DN=creepyclassics.com&cartid=41547342878&FILE=/cctoday.html

Shannafey
05-11-2003, 04:22 AM
Shoot, you were just a little too late on that one. My dvd was supposed to have shipped yesterday. I am excited!! Been wanting to see this for years!

mcchrist
05-11-2003, 08:30 AM
Thanks dwatts!

Shannafey
05-15-2003, 04:11 AM
Well, I got my copy tonight, and eagerly threw the thing in the dvd player. Damn, it was wonderful to finally see this piece of history. Wonderful little film. I didn't realize they used stop motion effects to bring the creature to life. Beautiful early filmmaking!! It pisses me off that at 3 corners of the screen are logos to show copyright, but at least we can see the film. Also, I assume all the title cards were made new, though I would have rather seen them restore the originals, that is, if they are still exstant. Definitely worth having!!

mcchrist
05-15-2003, 04:31 AM
This is my next purchase.