PDA

View Full Version : Evil Dead Trap

Rock
04-04-2003, 10:09 PM
(I realize Dave already did a much-better, more-detailed review of EDT on 11/30/00, but I watched it for the 1st time the other night and here is my impression)

Recipe for a potent scare:

Take Dario Argento to Japan, stir in elements from PSYCHO and BASKET CASE, add a dash of DEMENTIA 13, a liberal dose of Goblins-like music, shake well, and cook for 102 minutes in a hot atmospheric SESSION 9-like oven, and you have this potent hybrid horror from the Land of the Rising Sun.

Nami, the host of a late-night TV show for insomniacs, solicits her viewers to send in their homemade movies. After making the mistake of telling them that their recent entries haven’t been very good, she receives a tape of what looks like a partial snuff film: a young woman bound and gagged and squirming for her life somewhere in an abandoned factory is brutally killed (sliced open and her eye punctured by the tip of a knife) before the brief disturbing clip ends with a facial shot of Nami herself. Unsettled by the tape but fascinated with the potential story for her sagging ratings, she gathers a volunteer film crew, searches out the factory and, with herself in the lead, disperses her crew to explore its dark recesses in typical dumbass, just-looking-to-be-killed fashion.

Why does a slickered masked killer start slaughtering the helpless crew in brutal fashion? Who is the mysterious stranger lurking within who warns Nami to get out one minute, then half-threatens her the next? And how come the requisite sex scene between two of Nami’s co-workers is so incredibly convincing? Could it be because they used real adult film stars?!

I was taken by surprise by Synapse Films’ EVIL DEAD TRAP (1988). Most foreign horrors have an edge on our domestics because of the instantly unsettling feeling of being a stranger-in-a-strange-land right when the movie starts, and TRAP is no exception. With a camera that flies around like Sam Raimi on acid, it is obvious the filmmakers studied their namesake over & over before putting this one together. The murders are swift and vicious and, coupled with convincing performances, hair-raise this foreign slasher to a level far above anything that ever happened at Camp Crystal Lake (or Elm Street, for that matter). But do yourselves a favor and watch the DVD without the commentary by director Toshiharu Ikeda and SPFX director Shinichi Wakasa, they’re terrible...

The Chaostar
04-05-2003, 12:24 AM
The commentary is extremely funny!

MaxRenn
04-05-2003, 12:49 AM
Good review Rock. I too enjoyed this movie; has one of the best settings ever for a horror movie.

moogong
04-05-2003, 01:20 AM
Great movie, can't wait to pick up the sequel!

betterdan
04-05-2003, 07:37 AM
The commentary was hilarious but the movie I didn't like. It was just a mess.

mcchrist
04-05-2003, 07:57 AM
Great review, I found it quite accurate. To be honest though, I haven't seen this film in a few years, but your review was pretty much the impression I got. I haven't revisited it since, though, because like betterdan I found it to be a mess. the elements were there, but there was just too much. maybe that's just a cultural thing, I tend to see this alot in asian cinema. So much is thrown in to shock or please the viewer, but it just turns out to be a mess...

But when it works, it fucking works! Still waiting on an Eko Eko Azarak 1 DVD!

Zodiac-Mindwarp
04-05-2003, 07:56 PM
Great review!

This is one of the very first modern Japanese horror movies that I saw, and it is still amongst my favorites.

A great movie! :D

KillerCannabis
04-07-2003, 07:42 AM
I've had this disc for quite a while now but I just havent gotten around to watching it. I think now I've got a good reason to throw it on and see how I feel it stacks up to US horror fare.