PDA

View Full Version : Noisey LD players- I need solutions

jscott
04-05-2003, 08:58 PM
My RCA LD player has a very noisey fan. When I play the audio through my TV, the player is as loud, if not louder, than the audio coming through the TV's speakers. I have inquired into getting a replacement fan motor, but the part is no longer availible. Would it be possible to replace the fan motor with, say, a fan motor from a PC? Anyone know how difficult this would be? I'm sure it will require matching the RCA's fan motor to another one with the same voltage specs, but other than that, I don't know how to approach the situation. Any help would be appreciated.

PS
I keep seing alt.laserdiscgroup etc... listed in LD posts. Is this a website? A newsletter? Please help me.

Dave
04-10-2003, 12:52 AM
Here's a suggestion: Buy a new player. For $100-$150 you can get a pretty good player.

alt.video.laserdisc is a newsgroup. You need a newsreader to read the messages (Gravity is a good one for Windows, and it's free now). Or you can read/post through the web using something like Google Groups (see www.deja.com)

jscott
04-10-2003, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by Dave
Here's a suggestion: Buy a new player. For $100-$150 you can get a pretty good player.

Sounds like a great idea if I want my wife's foot up my ass!
I already own the above-mentioned RCA, and a Pioneer CLD-504 that has display problems. I think I might contact that fella who BigDaddy posted about that services/sells LD players, and see if he's heard of either of my problems.

Paff
04-10-2003, 01:50 AM
I'm with Dave here.

If you're gonna make Laserdisc a permanent part of your Home Theater, you'll want a decent player. RCAs aren't bad, as they're Pioneer clones, but they're clones of some pretty mid-level Pioneers (500 level).

I think you should look for a good upper level player (Pioneer 700 level). You really will notice a big difference.

Dave
04-10-2003, 08:20 AM
Well, that 504 may or may not be worth fixing. The 504 is a half decent player. It's a good starter player. Search alt.video.laserdisc for Kurtis Bahr - he's a good source for LD repair information.

But again, invest in getting the 504 fixed or buy another player. That RCA needs to be shot and buried.

jscott
04-10-2003, 07:20 PM
I spoke with Duncan from Laserdiscservice.com, and he said that my RCA player doesn't have a fan. Turns out it's the spindle motor that's making all that noise. If I could find another spindle motor to replace it, I would keep the RCA, because it has a nice picture, and a PCM Optical output (which the 504 lacks, otherwise I would consider getting the Pioneer repaired).

I will be upgrading my LD player sometime later this year (hopefully to a 604 or 704), but in the meantime, money's just too tight. Thanks for the advice fellas.