PDA

View Full Version : My First Hammer Movie

hell ya!
04-05-2003, 08:42 PM
Today i picked up "Horror of Dracula" and i can't wait to watch it tonight. I haven't seen any other Hammer movies and i thought that this would be a good place to start.

I also got "The Abominable Dr. Phibes" which i don't think is a Hammer movie(AIP i think) but i also can't wait to watch it. If all goes well i will be diving in to some more vintage Hammer and i guess AIP titles. Can' wait.:banana:

mutleyhyde
04-06-2003, 04:46 AM
Damn, what a place to start! Terrific choice Hell.

hell ya!
04-06-2003, 05:12 AM
Yes it was a terrific choice to start becuase i loved it! I really enjoyed "Horror Of Dracula". I have never seen a better Dracula than Chris Lee, what an great preformance same with Cushing. The movie was dated but it didn't take away too much from my enjoyment. I can't wait to see the sequels.

I also watched "The Abominable Dr. Phibes" and i enjoyed that one also. I had never really seen a "Vincent Price" movie so i didn't know what to expect from him but he was really good. It was a pretty interesting idea and actually had some pretty cool make-up FX for its time. I can't wait till next weekend becuase i'll pick up the sequel and maybe a couple more VP titles(Tales of Terror, Twice Told tales, Fall of The House of Usher...etc). I'll probably also pick up either "The Mummy" or "The Curse Of Frankenstein". Decisions.... decisions ;)

Can't wait:banana: :banana:

mcchrist
04-06-2003, 06:03 AM
Horror of Dracula is Hammer's best, seriously! They never did any better, but Dracula: Prince of Darkness is close.

Fart Lighter
04-06-2003, 08:44 PM
Although I've not seen TWICE TOLD TALES myself, I hear unanimously bad things about it, and I didn't like the original books by Nathaniel Hawthorne. I'd adive spending your money on Hammer's HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES, DIE MONSTER DIE or something else.

R. I. P.
04-07-2003, 02:37 AM
I've always been a great fan of Hammer films. This little studio just outside of London made some of the most atmospheric and spine tingling fright films ever. Chris Lee definitely is the most effective Dracula in cinema history and Peter Cushing was an outstanding Dr. Frankenstein. :nervous:

There are only a few DVD's available of classic Hammer films, unfortunately. I eagerly await the DVD releases of "Taste The Blood Of Dracula" in it's original UNCUT glory along with, what I feel is the most captivating Hammer horror film, "Hands Of The Ripper", which explores the premise of Jack The Ripper having a daughter who inherits his murderous tendencies. Another interesting Hammer film that IS available currently on DVD is "Dr. Jekyl and Sister Hyde".

Hammer is currently attempting to make a comeback. Let's hope that soon we will be viewing new and exciting stories with the atmosphere that has become Hammer's trademark over the years. :banana:

R. I. P.

mcchrist
04-07-2003, 05:25 AM
Hammer is currently attempting to make a comeback. Let's hope that soon we will be viewing new and exciting stories with the atmosphere that has become Hammer's trademark over the years.

There's been discussion of this for a number of years now. It would be nice to see them up and running again, but to be honest I am VERY skeptical of what a Hammer flick would be like today. Not that the atmosphere can't be achieved or anything, I dunno...

KillerCannabis
04-08-2003, 08:40 AM
This was my first Hammer film too. It's a damn good movie and I'm looking to add more to my collection now.

mcchrist
04-08-2003, 10:37 AM
Come to think of it, Horror of Dracula was my first Hammer film as well... Anybody else?

Andrew
04-09-2003, 01:00 AM
My first was THE MUMMY, which you need to buy. I love that movie...so much fun. I liked HOD, but nowhere near as much as THE MUMMY. Also, RASPUTIN kicks ass, and PLAGUE OF THE ZOMBIES is pretty cool too.

mcchrist
04-09-2003, 01:08 AM
Rasputin is great! Plague of the Zombies was a nice moody piece, I haven't watched that in a while.

rhett
04-09-2003, 05:24 AM
STRAIGHT ON TILL MORNING was my first Hammer film, and the more I think about it, the more I like it. I definitely like it better than the Hammer Dracula films; they haven't held up so well IMO...

Paff
04-09-2003, 06:48 AM
Horror of Dracula is great. I've had the pleasure of seeing it not once but twice on the big screen, within the last year.

Dracula Prince of Darkness is a good followup too. I'm also enjoying the Frankenstein films too. Rasputin was a bit slow upon first viewing, but when you watch it as a Christopher Lee drama instead of as a horror film, you'll really appreciate it.

Just got around to seeing Plague of the Zombies, and I absolutely loved it. Definitely a Hammer classic.

My first Hammer film was Captain Kronos Vampire Hunter, but it's been almost 20 years since I saw it. I can't wait for the DVD.

JW77
04-09-2003, 08:15 AM
Really, when I was a kid, the Hammer movies were THE horror movies. They're the only Drac and Frank films I can really remember watching as a kid, and sort of scaring the shit out of me. Lee's Mummy just scared the fuck out of me when I was little. The bright colors, the dank castles, the bright red blood (that sort of looks like Marinara sauce)... the things just oozed creepy atmosphere.

And I didn't even know what "Hammer" was at the time, I just remembered "those" movies.

Whereas the Universal stuff just put me to sleep.

life_o_petey
04-09-2003, 05:07 PM
after reading this thread, Horror of Dracula might end up being my first hammer movie, too.

Nasty Nate
04-09-2003, 09:11 PM
I just picked it up last night too. Good stuff.

hell ya!
04-10-2003, 02:47 AM
I am going to pick up The Mummy this weekend for sure(maybe also Curse of Frankenstein). I'm going to wait a bit before buying too many AB hammer movies starting Peter Cushing or Chris Lee becuase there is supposed to be a boxset for each in Nov i think. But Plague of the Zombies is on the list. I also want to get some more Vincent Price titles(at least Dr. Phibes Rises Again this weekend) So many DVDs so little $$$:D

Fart Lighter
04-12-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by R. I. P.
Hammer is currently attempting to make a comeback.

Looks like they've given up again. I've been in contact with them for a couple of years now, and was having some script work being considered. But about six months ago the studio suddenly went silent and issued an announcement that they weren't looking for any new material. I've not heard a peep from them since.:confused:

hell ya!
04-12-2003, 04:55 PM
Well i picked up The Mummy today and will watch it tonight, can't wait!

I also got The Pit And The Pendulum and Dr. Phibes Rises Again. I'm really looking forward to Dr. Phibes Rises Again becuase the orginal was great and i heard good things about this one too.

:banana: :banana:

Hammerfan
04-12-2003, 11:45 PM
THE MUMMY is great! I have vivid memories of watching this when I was little. The Hammer films seemed to play non-stop on Saturdays on WTTG in Washington D.C. WDCA also introduced me to Hammer. They scared the shit out of me beyond belief. I still remember covering my eyes when Christopher Lee would bare his fangs.

THE MUMMY'S SHROUD, while no where near THE MUMMY has its moments. I was scared to death by it 25 years ago.

DRACULA HAS RISEN FROM THE GRAVE remains probably my favorite Hammer next to HORROR OF DRACULA.

My least favorite of the Hammer films are silliness like TROG. Its hard to believe the same studio that brought Dracula to life years earlier ran out of ideas and tried to make a horror movie about a troglodite. I'm not talking about the film's star, Joan Crawford, either.

hell ya!
04-14-2003, 11:09 PM
I watched both The Mummy and Curse Of Frankenstein and i loved both of them. The Mummy was a little slow but still VERY enjoyable. COF was also excellent, great perfromaces by Cushing in both movies as well as Lee(well for his amount of time on screen anyways). Now the question is to either wait for the AB Cushing and Lee boxsets or start to buy them now.:nervous:

Zodiac-Mindwarp
04-14-2003, 11:22 PM
The Lost Continent would be the first Hammer movie that I ever saw, and I just loved it as a kid.

I found it on DVD recently, and it is still enjoyable all these years later.

I only have a couple of Hammer movies, and this talk of a Hammer boxset sounds wonderful. Can anyone point me to a list of what will be in the boxset?

Many Thanks as always. :)

hell ya!
04-15-2003, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by Zodiac-Mindwarp
I only have a couple of Hammer movies, and this talk of a Hammer boxset sounds wonderful. Can anyone point me to a list of what will be in the boxset?

Many Thanks as always. :)

Its listed on the Fangoria chopping list. There is no offical word from AB of what titles will be in it though:(

Andrew
04-15-2003, 03:12 AM
I need to get CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN. I smell an order coming soon.

hell ya!
04-15-2003, 03:36 AM
I really enjoyed it, and i think you would too. :banana:

Paff
04-15-2003, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by AndrewBBD
I need to get CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN. I smell an order coming soon.

Might as well add Revenge of Frankenstein to the order. A very worthy sequel, and I'm honestly not sure which one I like more. If I prefer Curse, it's only because of Christopher Lee.

Another Hammer sequel that doesn't get a lot of love is Brides of Dracula, the first sequel to Horror of Dracula. No Christopher Lee (actually, no Dracula for that matter), but another great outing by Peter Cushing as Van Helsing.
Of course, it's not out on DVD...

hell ya!
04-15-2003, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by Paff
Might as well add Revenge of Frankenstein to the order. A very worthy sequel, and I'm honestly not sure which one I like more. If I prefer Curse, it's only because of Christopher Lee.

Thats next for me, i'm going shopping on Thursday so hopefully i will be able to pick it up or else i'll have to order it and wait longer.:nervous: