PDA

View Full Version : DVD Collections

Chainsaw
01-21-2001, 09:43 PM
What discs do you have in your horror collection? I just bought my DVD player on November 26, so my library is rather small:

Army of Darkness - Director's Cut
Evil Dead - Elite SE
Evil Dead 2 - AB Reissue
Fright Night
Halloween
Halloween II
Halloween III
Halloween 4
Halloween 5
Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers
I Spit On Your Grave
The Sixth Sense
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - Pioneer SE

I would be very interested in knowing exactly how many horror discs you guys actually own. I plan to have a huge horror library in a few years, but I'm sure most of you have long since beat me to it.

Keep the Heads a Poppin',
Chainsaw

ashe001
01-21-2001, 09:47 PM
way too many to name but I'm in the 150ish range. I'd say about 90% of them are horror. I haven't bought anything recently cause nothing seems interesting right now. The last one I bought was Hollow Man.

ctyner
01-21-2001, 09:48 PM
The URL to my list is in my signature.

------------------
My DVD list (http://www.weirdal.org/me/html/dvd/list.php3) | bigwolfoncampus.org (http://www.bigwolfoncampus.org)

jae
01-21-2001, 09:51 PM
I have 135 right now.. Probably 75% is horror or horror related like dark comedy, scifi like Invasion of the Body Snatchers type stuff. That percentage will go up since I'm starting to sell off some of my non horror DVDs.

napalm68
01-21-2001, 10:08 PM
I have about 100. About 80% are horror, the rest offbeat commedies (Very Bad Things, Theres Something About Mary) or cult films (Pulp Fiction, Drugstore Cowboy).

------------------
Oh no, mother! Blood!

Mark Relford
01-21-2001, 10:48 PM
Welcome to the forum, Chainsaw! http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif
I have 233 DVDs total. Most of them are horror.

------------------
"Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"

"They're back from the grave and ready to party!"

Jeremy
01-22-2001, 01:29 AM
I've got a little over 100 titles right now, about 40% of them horror, but that ratio is going up.

Dave
01-22-2001, 01:40 AM
200 DVDs - but I really try to maintain it. I sell anything I'm not going to watch more than once a year.

30-40 lasers

------------------
David W. Anderson - dave@horrordvds.com
Webmaster - www.horrordvds.com (http://www.horrordvds.com)

Chainsaw
01-22-2001, 01:48 AM
Well now, I certainly have a long way to go. Thanks for the info and the welcome!

joltaddict
01-22-2001, 04:12 AM
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
From Dusk til Dawn
Scream (Deluxe Edition)
The Shining
Tenderness of the Wolves
Dead Ringers (Criterion)
Alien
Peeping Tom (Criterion)
Night Porter (Criterion)
Alice, Sweet Alice
Black Sabbath (Mario Bava Collection)
Hellraiser
Evil Dead (Special Edition)
The Nightmare on Elm Street Collection (Box Set)
A Nightmare on Elm Street
A Nightmare on Elm Street 2 Freddy's Revenge
A Nightmare on Elm Street 3 Dream Warriors
A Nightmare on Elm Street 4 The Dream Master
A Nightmare on Elm Street 5 The Dream Child
Freddy's Dead The Final Nightmare
Wes Craven's New Nightmare
The Nightmare Series Encyclopedia
The Beyond
Final Destination
Asylum
Flesh For Frankenstein (Criterion)
Requiem For A Vampire
Ganja and Hess
Rosemary's Baby
I Spit on Your Grave
Funny Games
Silence Of The Lambs (Criterion)
Clean, Shaven
Psycho -1960 (Collectors Edtion)
Friday The 13th
Friday The 13th Part 2
The Thing (Special Edition)
Cannibal Ferox
Pitch Black (Unrated)
Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer
Dance with the Devil
Tenebre
Changeling
Ms. 45
Modern Vampires
New York Ripper
Phantasm
Let Sleeping Corpses Lie
Horror Hospital
Stir of Echoes
Cube
Carrie
Jacob's Ladder
Halloween (Restored)
Kalifornia
Cujo
Deep Red
Seven
Ravenous
The Cell
Kwaidan (Criterion)
Carnival of Souls (Criterion)
Slumber Party Massacre III
Dawn of The Dead
Straw Dogs
Ilsa- She Wolf of the SS
The Exorcist - The Version You've Never Seen
Salem's Lot

TobalRox
01-22-2001, 08:01 AM
A Nightmare on Elm Street (box set)
American Psycho
Army of Darkness (theatrical and director's cut)
Bay of Blood
The Beyond
The Birds
The Bone Collector
Breeders
Cannibal the musical (not really horror)
Creepshow
Dark City
Dawn of the Dead
Dead Alive
Evil Dead
Evil Dead 2
The Faculty
Final Destination
The Frighteners
Gremlins
Halloween
Hellraiser (tin, so it's 1 and 2)
Horror Express
House on Haunted Hill ('98)
The House on Sorority Row
In the Mouth of Madness
Jack Frost
Jack Frost 2
Jaws
Jessica: A Ghost Story
The Last Broadcast
Misery
Night of the Living Dead (Both original and remake)
Night Train of Terror
Pumpkinhead
Re-Animator
Rocky Horror Picture Show (ok, so not really horror)
Se7en
The Sixth Sense
Skinner
Sleepy Hollow
Strangeland
Stir of Echoes
The Surgeon
Sweet Evil
Tales from the Crypt Presents Demon Knight
Tales from the Crypt Presents Bordello of Blood
Tales from the Crypt: The Robert Zemeckis Collection
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
Toxic Avenger
Vampyros Lesbos
Werewolf
The Wind

------------------
"It's a spadoinkle day" -Cannibal: The Musical

AIM: TobalRox

Jason25
01-22-2001, 08:09 AM
Very nice collections. I haven't bought any dvd's over the past few days, but I have a few on preorder.

I have 724 dvd's in my collection. I started buying dvd's after I bought my first dvd player and dvd,Re-Animator, back in December of '97. I buy mostly horror titles as they are my favorite. I'm concentrating on Euro Horror titles now, but they can be a bit expensive.

Styx
01-22-2001, 10:24 AM
I have close to 800 DVDs at present. About half of those are horror and the rest are primarily made up of westerns, comedy and sci-fi.

I was starting to list them all on DVD tracker but since they decided to charge for their "service" I haven't bothered with it.

mutleyhyde
01-22-2001, 10:27 AM
Jesus Christ guys! 1500+ between the two of you? Boy, do I feel inadequite! I think I've only got a measly 170 or so. I'm gonna go sulk now.

------------------
"When I go to confession, I don't offer God small sins - petty squables, jealousies - I offer him sins worth forgiving!"

May the Hammer eternally bleed!
M. Hyde

chrishicks
01-22-2001, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Jason25:

Very nice collections. I haven't bought any dvd's over the past few days, but I have a few on preorder.

I have 724 dvd's in my collection. I started buying dvd's after I bought my first dvd player and dvd,Re-Animator, back in December of '97. I buy mostly horror titles as they are my favorite. I'm concentrating on Euro Horror titles now, but they can be a bit expensive.

That's the 1st title I bought as well. Same year and everything. I had ordered a DVD player and went to Media Play and bought that one DVD so I could have it for when my player arrived. My collection is over 1000 DVDs and I have preorders for at least
another 100 thru the next few months. I am one of the luckiest people around as my wife also loves to collect them so everytime she goes out shopping she always comes home with a little gift.

LeBugg
01-22-2001, 04:28 PM
I have a little over 850 dvds, I would guess that about 1/3 of them are horror

Jason Reynolds
01-22-2001, 04:47 PM
I'm up to 858 DVDs, 428 of which are horror and sci-fi.

-Jason

DVD Connoisseur
01-22-2001, 07:59 PM
I have around 50 DVDs and 60 LDs. I'm always amazed at the size of your collections...as I have to order practically everything from overseas (I'm based in the UK), this kind of limits the size of my collection. That, and the fact that my wife will kill me if I go OTT on purchases!

On a serious note, I find there aren't that many titles out there that I really want at the moment. The big releases for me will be the new Anchor Bay releases for 2001 such as Opera, Suspiria, Bad Taste, etc. An occasional purchase is more pleasurable for me than a big splash out on titles.

Guys, how do you find the time to watch all your films?

Paff
01-22-2001, 08:15 PM
I've always wondered that as well DVD Con...

What amazes me are the guys that have had players for like a month and a half and have 200 DVDs. It means people are buying movies, yet clearly have not had time to watch them all. I have a sizeable collection (~220 movies) but it's taken over 3 years to amass them all. There's a few here and there I haven't watched yet, but almost all have gotten at least one spin. I could easily thin out my collection, but since most of my movies are LD, I'd barely make any money on the sales, so it's just easier to keep the movies on hand.

For the record, I have around 40 DVDs, about 40% horror
I have around 185 LDs, about 25% horror

DopeChamberX
01-22-2001, 08:32 PM
My collection is in my sig. But I've had my player for only a little over a year now, and I just surpassed 50. Working a part time job and getting minimum wage is one of the main reasons it's taken me this long to get 50, plus like someone else stated there just isn't that many DVDs out there right now that I really really want.

------------------
"It's not who you come with, it's who you take home." - Prom Night 4

"...find something you love doing and do it for the rest of your life..." - Rushmore

My Collection (http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=Rasmith)

chrishicks
01-22-2001, 08:49 PM
Many of the movies in my collection have not been watched yet, but will someday. The main reason I have so many and still buy so many is that if I see a movie I want to see or something I haven't seen in awhile I usually
just buy it even if I won't watch it for months. With the way movies go out of print it almost seems like you have to buy it when you see it or the chance might not repeat. Besides how many people rent movies only to return them without having watched it even once. This way I have the movie for whenever I want it. And one other way I made myself a large collection is to buy alot of movies on clearance. I have purchased over 35 DVDs at my local Media Play for only $.50 a piece. At those prices you can easily build a decent coll. Also I own my house so I only have utility bills that cost about $300.00 a month and with my wifes checks and my own we have a decent amout of money to spend on movies.

gunner
01-22-2001, 09:06 PM
How do you all present your collections.I had a custom wall mounted cabinet built by a local woodworker,it makes my dvds look important and professional and since it has a glass door it keeps the damned dust off them.I only have 178 titles so far,and once I hit about 350 my cabinet will be full.I couldn't imagine how to display 800 or more titles.

chrishicks
01-22-2001, 10:10 PM
I have 2 media cabinets going across one whole wall. They are around 70" wide each.

AceRimRat
01-22-2001, 10:21 PM
Sheesh, I always feel better when I hear how many discs some of y'all have. I have about 150-175 titles (about 200-225 discs), about 45% of the titles horror and another 25% sci-fi. Figure about 15% action, 10% comedy and 5% other.

I keep 'em on a medium-sized bookshelf, which regrettably is almost full. I wanted a 200-DVD changer for a while, until I realized I had more than 200 discs. (And mashed up a wheel on my car to the tune of $500 in repairs.)

I've probably owned another 50-75 discs at some point or another - I sell off the ones I tire of or don't like, I used to be a lot less picky about what I bought, but now I try to rent before I buy or only buy the stuff I really want.

Paff
01-22-2001, 10:22 PM
That's becoming quite the dilemma with me as well. I have two of those Napa Valley racks....one's filled up, the other will be real soon.

I'm shying away from the permanent wall fixtures for now, since I'm just renting. But I plan to buy a place in the near future, maybe then I'll look to mount some shelves...

Styx
01-22-2001, 11:04 PM
I've had a DVD player since November of 98. I missed out on Laserdisc (though I have around 60 or so of those all of which are horror except for The Terminator, Star Wars Trilogy (THX,LTBX,ORIGINAL), Princess Bride (Criterion) and the my Japanese Lasers of Legend and Blade Runner) so DVD is the first format I've seriously collected.

I find I buy a lot of films I normally wouldn't have on any other format. When I first got into DVD I bought discs that were reference quality just to marvel at the eye and ear candy. DVDs like The Fifth Element, and Lost in Space fit into that category. I would never have bought (or even rented) those on Laser or VHS.

I've toned down my buying habits since then and I only buy Movies on DVD that I have an interest in. I was also less discriminating when I first got my player but now a disc has to have a certain level of quality before I buy it. Because of that Disney and MGM purchases are few and far between http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif.

The fact of the matter is DVD presents a very theater like experience so I don't mind spending the money I do on the format. For someone like me who grew up in the 80s video is the only way to discover and experience a lot of great films. Also the feeling of ownership and the ability to watch a film whenever you want, as Chrishicks pointed out, is also enticing. I'd say I've watched about 90-95% of the DVDs in my collection at least once and some like The Evil Dead, Conan the Barbarian and the Addams Family I've seen ten times or more.

As for displaying them I have 4 wooden display racks that hold 250 DVDs each. They arenít much but they get the job done. For displaying LDs I bought a wooden display case from Bags Unlimited, which holds around 130 LDs. I also keep my DVDs and LDs in plastic sleeves (also purchased from Bags Unlimited) so dust isnít a factor. One day I'd like to get something really nice to display them in, but since I don't know how many DVDs I'll have in a few years I don't want to commit to anything yet.

Vdlman
01-22-2001, 11:30 PM
I currently have 47 DVDs in my collection.

Se7en
01-23-2001, 01:38 AM
I pretty much started my DVD collection this past December. I got about 50 so far and it keeps growing weekly. http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif Here are the highlight's so far in my collection.

The Exorcist 25th Anniversary Limited Edition Box Set - Creative Arts Design

Evil Dead - Special Collector's Edition - Elite

Evil Dead 2 - Limited Edition Tin

Army Of Darkness - 2 Disc's Limited Edition Set

Halloween - 2 Disc's Limited Edition Set

Night Of The Living Dead - Special Collector's Edition - Elite

Silence Of The Lambs - Criterion Collection

Se7en - 2 Disc Set

Halloween 5 - Limited Edition Tin

Hellraiser/Hellraiser 2 - 2 Disc's Limited Edition Tin

Texas Chainsaw Massacre - Pioneer Special Edition

A Nightmare On Elm Street Box Set - All the Freddy movies plus a special disk.

The Ultimate Scream Collection - All the Scream movies plus a special disk.

Psycho - Collector's Edition.

From Dusk Till Dawn Collector's Box Set.

rhett
01-23-2001, 02:04 AM
I started my collection roughly a year ago (I got my DVD player in December of '99) and I currently have 100 DVD's; out of which, probably 70% are horror. I generally try to buy only the DVD's that I will watch more than once, and of all the DVD's I own, I'd say The Thing has gotten the most playback on my dvd player.

TobalRox
01-23-2001, 02:25 AM
well, I watch movies quite a bit, especially on the weekends. I'm in college, so we don't have a lot to do besides play video games and watch movies, especially now that it's winter and we can't go outside and play sports. On weekends we sometiems watch 3 or 4 movies in one day. There are only a few movies Ihaven't seen yet, and they are mostly the ones that I got for $4 at media play that are when Simitar went out of business and they were getting rid of their discs. Also, during the summer I watched movies a lot with my girlfriend, it was just what we liked to do.

------------------
"It's a spadoinkle day" -Cannibal: The Musical

AIM: TobalRox

joltaddict
01-23-2001, 03:30 AM
I got my player in August and I have 111 DVDs ALL watched! I have watched mmost of the commentaries on the ones that have them too. I still haven't watched the commentaries for Evil Dead and Seven though and I have 5 more on the way so I'll watch the commentaries when the mood strikes.

Besides some of us just like to collect.

Storage has become a prob lately, I can keep my horror DVDs on my rack but some of the others are starting to get stacked in the entertainment center.

A pic of my wire DVD rack (http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1470896&a=11066790&p=38529857&Sequence=0&res=high). http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif

AceRimRat
01-23-2001, 03:34 AM
Hey, joltaddict, nice rack! http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/biggrin.gif

(Oh come on, somebody had to say it.)

Choptop
01-23-2001, 06:12 AM
I have 121 DVDs, most of which are horror. But Ive got quite an unhealthy obsession for organizing them, its quite unique I think.

They are organized by studio. Major studios on the top shelf (MGM, Universal, Fox, Tri Star etc..) smaller studios on bottom (Artisan, Anchorbay, Elite, Synapse etc...)

Its kinda quirky, but I find it better than alphabetical. To my shock, I actually found someone else that did the same exact thing. He even had Criterions Salo and The Killer http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/frown.gif

Matt
01-23-2001, 07:49 AM
I just got my player not too long ago, so my collection is kind of small...

American Beauty
Beyond:Tin
Boogie Nights: New Line Platinum
Brazil: Criterion
Cell
Chasing Amy:Criterion
Dead Alive
Edward Scissorhands
Evil Dead 2:Tin
Fight Club
From Dusk Till Dawn: Collectors Edition
Hated: GG Allin and the Murder Junkies
Get A Life (the tv show)
Gladiator
Jack Frost
Leaving Las Vegas
Mallrats
Myster Science 3000: the movie
Nightmare On Elm Street:Box Set
Night Of The Living Dead 68:30th anniversary( it was a present!)
Night Of The Living Dead 90
Phantasm
Romper Stomper
Rushmore: Criterion
Seven: New Line Platnium
SOD: Kill Yourself The Movie
Story Of Ricky Oh
Terminator 2:Ultimate Edition
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Thing, The:Collector's edition
This Is Spinal Tap

I'm working on it...

[This message has been edited by Matt (edited 01-23-2001).]

laserdogg
01-23-2001, 07:57 AM
Maybe 35% of my collection is horror. Started with LD in mid 80's and DVD in May '98. Resented the little discs at first, pleased as punch with them now.

1071 LD's
792 DVD's

------------------
ALL THOSE LASERS...ALL THOSE DVD'S (http://www.dvdtracker.com/~laserdogg.asp)

rhett
01-23-2001, 08:19 PM
Jolt, I couldn't help but notice Elmo In Grouchland. Is this a favorite?? http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif

joltaddict
01-23-2001, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by rhett:
Jolt, I couldn't help but notice Elmo In Grouchland. Is this a favorite??

Damn!!! Good catch http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif

Believe it or not but that DVD has been played HUNDREDS of times! I have a two year old niece and you know how they are at that age, nothing gets old! I could probally recite it by heart.

DeepDownTraumaHound
01-23-2001, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Styx:
I find I buy a lot of films I normally wouldn't have on any other format....
I've toned down my buying habits since then and I only buy Movies on DVD that I have an interest in.
I can say the exact same for myself. Most of the titles I find intersting now I would never have purchased on VHS video back when I only had a VCR. But I also had to tone down. There was so much crap in my collection, I had to sell! I hate selling my stuff.

------------------
"Do you have to open graves to find a girl to fall in love with?"

rhett
01-23-2001, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by joltaddict:
Believe it or not but that DVD has been played HUNDREDS of times! I have a two year old niece and you know how they are at that age, nothing gets old! I could probally recite it by heart.

Are you saying that Halloween is not a key ingredient in the prosperity of a growing child?! Tsk tsk...

joltaddict
01-23-2001, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by rhett:
Are you saying that Halloween is not a key ingredient in the prosperity of a growing child?!

She walked in on me watching Hellraiser and it just happened to be a scene with the cenobites and she said "What's that man doing?" all nonchalant. I didn't even know she was in the room.
But Cruella freaks her out, she can't finish 101 Dalmations.

Maybe that should be my next thread "Who is scarier - Pinhead or Cruella DeVille?"

AceRimRat
01-24-2001, 01:51 AM
Maybe that should be my next thread "Who is scarier - Pinhead or Cruella DeVille?"

If you're talking the live version of "101," my vote's for Glenn Close, sort of the way whats-his-name voted for "Showgirls" as his favorite scary movie. http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/wink.gif

Jamm
01-24-2001, 12:40 PM
Cruela Deville the character, or Glenn Close the actress?

Anyway, we're up to about 160 movies now. I'd say 90% horror/sci-fi. Most of them have been purchased but there are a growing number that are advance screeners from the studios.

K'
01-24-2001, 10:10 PM
Here (http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=k-dash) is my collection 44 DVDs at the momentand another 8 ordered.

No that much, but i only buy movies i really like or movies that are really cheap http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/biggrin.gif

joltaddict
01-25-2001, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by K':
Here (http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=k-dash) is my collection

Carrie 2 but no Carrie? If that's not illegal it is at least immoral!!! http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif

K'
01-25-2001, 11:45 AM
Carrie 2 but no Carrie? If that's not illegal it is at least immoral!!! http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif

I have it on tape and will probaly get it on dvd in the near future.
I hope that that you no longer consider me a immoral person http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/tongue.gif

------------------
Whoever said violence never solves problems
obviously never used enough of it.

[This message has been edited by K' (edited 01-25-2001).]

joltaddict
01-25-2001, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by K':
I have it on tape and will probaly get it on dvd in the near future.

That and an extremely cool sig gets you a free pass in my book!

The Meanie
01-29-2001, 03:00 PM
I have collected the following 30 DVDs since October 2000:

Night of The Living Dead (Elite)
Night of The Living Dead (1990)
Dawn of The Dead
Day Of The Dead
Zombie
City of the Living Dead
The Beyond
Dead Alive
Dead Hate The Living