PDA

View Full Version : Amityville III: The Demon (R2)

Hellbilly
04-06-2003, 09:29 PM
After exposing some con artists who's using the Amityville house to run a seance scam - and after having a conversation with the house's real estate agent - reporter John Baxter (Tony "Popcorn" Roberts) decides the buy the house, for a bargain.

Not a firm believer in the supernatural, ghosts or the house's controversial history Baxter moves in and soon weird things start to happen ...

Little did Stuart Rosenberg know when he unleashed The Amityville Horror back in 1979. Based on "true events" (http://www.angelfire.com/goth2/amityvillehorror/) Rosenberg's film was a success (total gross: $86 m), spawning quite a few sequels. Amityville III was one of them, filmed in 1983 in 3-D, (a gimmick that was quite popular at that time: Jaws III-D, Friday The 13th III-D) presented by Dino De Laurentis and directed by Richard "Soylent Green" Fleischer with a cast including Tess Harper, Lori "The New Kids" Loughlin, Candy "The Blob" Clark and *drumroll* everybody's favorite sweetheart Meg Ryan.

Not really my favorite of the series (that'll be AH2), but AH3 is still a good show. It's a fun little haunted house movie ("PG") with a few little scares and a few neat special effects. There are a few moments of unintentional humor though and there's one "special effect" that made me chuckle: a pink floating spirit that looked more like a floating pink jellyfish.

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B000067ATH.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

How's the DVD? Sadly, not great. German company "Marketing Film" presents AH3 in a 16:9 enhanced 1.78:1 widescreen transfer. Not only is this the wrong aspect ratio (it was obviously shot in 2.35:1) but the print ain't the cleanest either. Lots of grain, some dirt and speckles. The Image quality is quite dark at times and the colors are kinda washed out.
Besides that this film was also cut!
There are scenes of Candy Clark missing, burning to a crisp after her car accident.
However those Marketing dumbfucks show those missing scenes in the trailer though. Assholes.
The English 2.0 Surround sound is ok but I did notice a few annoying "popping" noises.
Extras include trailers (Amityville 2), bio's and slideshows.

I don't know how good the UK disc is but this DVD ain't really recommended, unless your a hardcore Amityville freak who can't wait till a better DVD comes out (sooner or later, hopefully).

Zodiac-Mindwarp
04-06-2003, 11:01 PM
Nice review Hellbilly!

I am still not region free, but this looks like something that I can plan on skipping for the long run, ever after I am region free.

Thanks for letting us know about this one.

Hopefully a better version will come out.

KillerCannabis
04-07-2003, 07:40 AM
I'm sorry to hear the disc you reviewed aint all that good. I want to get this on disc and now the R2 UK edition seems a likely bet, assuming it in the OAR and looks good.

Hellbilly
04-08-2003, 05:10 PM
I heard the UK disc is full screen but seems to be uncut ...
Doesn't make a purchase any easier :rolleyes: