PDA

View Full Version : Tell Me Something - How is this film?

Lindane
03-31-2002, 10:08 AM
I just got back from seeing this movie tonight. Anybody seen this yet? I highly recommend it. This has enough blood ang guts to keep almost any gorehound satisfied. It was kinda remniscent of Seven.

poorlogic
04-01-2002, 05:57 AM
"An Asian version of Seven" is how I describe this great film to all my friends. While it has a bit of a slow pace, the film has some beautiful shots, I love all the scenes in the rain. I purchased the region 3 dvd, I heard there's a another DVD out there - anyone know if it's different from the one I purchased?

Lindane
04-01-2002, 10:47 AM
I think there are actually 3 versions. One is ultra expensive and is loaded with all kinds of features including a 4 page booklet. The other is the same but without all the supplements (it has a black cover with his and her face on it). And then I think there is a more "ghetto" version. I've seen all 3 but don't remember the exact details like region and all that. I'm going to order the one with the black cover. It's only $19.99 at PokerIndustries and it is supposedly going to be discontinued soon.

DVD Connoisseur
04-01-2002, 06:05 PM
....I note that the cheapest version of the movie is also available from the ever-reliable DDD House for HK$122 (equates to US $15.64 plus shipping, or thereabouts, or just under 11 for me).

The dark covered version looks great but I'm a little concerned about the running time being less (116 as opposed to 117 minutes) and that there's a note about playback on 4:3 televisions. Neither of these factors may be of any real significance but if someone has a comparison of the discs, I'd be interested to read it.

DVD Connoisseur
04-01-2002, 06:09 PM
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=KWBV-4

Not a lot of info by any means. I wonder if this is the "deluxe" version?

napalm68
04-01-2002, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by DVD Connoisseur
....I note that the cheapest version of the movie is also available from the ever-reliable DDD House for HK$122 (equates to US $15.64 plus shipping, or thereabouts, or just under 11 for me).

The dark covered version looks great but I'm a little concerned about the running time being less (116 as opposed to 117 minutes) and that there's a note about playback on 4:3 televisions. Neither of these factors may be of any real significance but if someone has a comparison of the discs, I'd be interested to read it.

I'm unable to find it at DDDHouse. Not listed under their Japanese section. Do you have a link to the disc?

DVD Connoisseur
04-01-2002, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by napalm68

I'm unable to find it at DDDHouse. Not listed under their Japanese section. Do you have a link to the disc?

The way the site is set up, I don't have a direct link. It's under the Korean section, though.

napalm68
04-01-2002, 11:30 PM
Ah, yes, found it.

Lindane
04-03-2002, 07:50 AM
Oh shit. If someone knows or can find out whether or not the dark covered version is cut that would be great. I just ordered the "dark covered" version. I hope it's fine.

Bods
04-07-2002, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by DVD Connoisseur
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=KWBV-4

Not a lot of info by any means. I wonder if this is the "deluxe" version?

That's the limited low-priced version. Could be movie only. The SE can be found here..

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=KWBV-1

It contains:

2 trading cards feat/ Suck-Kyu Han and Eun-ha Shim (for initial only.)

Audio commentary by producer and director.

Interview w/ director(5min).

Behind-the-scenes footage(5min).

Still gallery of all of 9 'Mystery' cards.

Cast & crew bios.

Music video clip.

Korean and Japanese trailers.

Teaser trailer.

Japanese TV spot(s).

4-page color booklet.

& Japanese subs only.

DVD Connoisseur
04-07-2002, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Bods
& Japanese subs only.

Cheers, Bods. The lack of English subtitles is very off-putting. Shame as this looks a great package apart from that.

DVD Connoisseur
04-21-2002, 07:12 PM
What a cracking good film! When I sat down to watch it, I didn't expect the film to be as polished and competent as it was. The film plays like a giallo - gripping stuff!

As I was very tired when I watched the film last night, I now feel that I must see it again as there are just a few loose ends that I've not tied up.

Overall, a quality movie and an excellent recommendation.

I bought the HK version from the excellent DDD House - quite a bargain.

Lindane
04-23-2002, 12:26 PM
No prob. Glad you enjoyed it. I got mine in the mail a couple days ago.

Suicide
05-10-2002, 11:02 PM
We actually got this in at Blockbuster. I know they're evil, but it comes out on the 14th there. It's the Kino on Video version, I'm not sure if thats good or bad. It's rated R at 116 minutes, but I heard the other version is 117, so it's not too heavily cut. Incredibly bad english dubbing, but it might get better, I only saw a little bit of it, I'm watching it later tonight, with subtitles, that dubbing was awful.

DVD Connoisseur
05-10-2002, 11:10 PM
...respect of DVD releases in the past. I think the Kino on Video version will probably be intact as there's little in the way of OTT violence. Like Se7en, this movie works on implied violence rather than in-your-face gore. Let us know what you think of this release once you've viewed it.

Suicide
05-11-2002, 06:12 PM
Ok here's my crappy "I see why I wouldn't make a great reviewer" review of the Kino release of Tell Me Something.

http://www.kino.com/video/dvd_titles/images/tell_some_dvd1.jpg
I'll skip the movie description, but it can be found on the Kino page I put a link to below.
I'm no expert on video quality, I mean I can tell if something looks really good or really bad, but take this with a grain of salt. The picture quality was really inconsistant on this one. One minute it looked really good, the next it was quite grainy and murky, sometimes changing back and forth a few times in the same scene. It never looked too bad overall, but keep in mind I still watch a decent amount of videos so I don't mind as much as some of the strictly DVD people would.

Sound wise it sounded pretty good, but I only used the tv speakers, it was late I didn't want to disturb anyone. It has 5.1 Korean and English language soundtracks with optional english subtitles. Some pretty effective stuff in it though. Not bad.
For extras all we get is a photo gallery and a pretty entertaining widescreen trailer. Also the menus are very cool.

I assume this is the cheap-o release of the movie, but it is still pretty decent. I don't know much about this Kino International company, the only other release I've seen by them was a Nosferatu video we got in a Blockbuster, but if you are interested,

Kino International (http://www.kino.com)
Tell Me Something DVD (http://www.kino.com/video/dvd_titles/tellme.html)

Also If anyone is slightly interested in buying but doesn't want to pay alot, this one goes on sale previewed at Blockbuster for $9.99. Pretty cheap, and this one won't get rented out alot, at least at mine stuff like this doesn't, so it shouldn't be in bad shape.

Shannafey
04-08-2003, 07:03 PM
My local Blockbuster has a copy of Tell Me Something. Has anyone here seen this? It looks good, but I am usually mixed with most Asian films. This one comes from Korea, not Japan, so I am expecting something a little different. Tell me your thoughts.

KillSwitch
04-08-2003, 07:18 PM
My friend has this DVD. He tells me it is good. Bloody murders and stuff. But I dont't know for sure. I want to get this DVD myself actually. :)

Nick

DVD Connoisseur
04-08-2003, 08:47 PM
Shannafey, I've merged an old thread so you can see how other forum member's found this great film....

Shannafey
04-08-2003, 09:10 PM
Thanks, I did a search, but for some reason, nothing was coming up!

DVD Connoisseur
04-08-2003, 09:17 PM
Yep, I also tried a search and also drew a blank. As I knew that there was a thread from way back, I just trawled through the old threads.

Deaddevilman
04-09-2003, 09:42 AM
Tell Me Something is a Korean film available with English Subtitles at dvdasian.com for 21.99. It is the Korean release and an all region disc. Check out Shiri, staring the same actor, for another great Korean film, available at Best Buy of all places.

Shannafey
04-11-2003, 09:06 PM
I rented it, and damn if it wasn't a pretty good film. Different than a lot of Asian films, in that it felt like an American film with Asian actors. The story translates very well, though a little bit hard to follow at times. Just a series killer movie, well done with good atmosphere and plenty of gore. I definitely recommend it. I watched it dubbed, because I was too lazy to read the English subs. The dubbing wasn't half bad.