PDA

View Full Version : Hammer Help

dwatts
04-13-2003, 12:39 PM
I’d sure like help I understanding which hammer releases to get. I posted a while back about the films I don’t yet have – but I have noted that some of them are being re-released with a cheaper price. So which Hammers are in the works for release by others (other than Anchor bay)?

I note that in the UK there are new releases advertised for:

Qautermass
Qautermass II
Qautermass Xperiment
Frankenstein and the Monster From Hell
Kronos the Vampire Killer
The Abominable Snowman

These look better than that the Anchor bay releases because they have really good 24 page booklets. Those World of Horror bonuses that AB give are crap.

Anymore coming? I can get the AB ones locally, but they’re $35 each – quite pricey.

Unless someone knows a cheap place to get them on the net – that ship to Europe!

JW77
04-13-2003, 04:24 PM
"Captain Kronos" and "Frankenstein and the Monster From Hell" are going to be released by Paramount later this year. I know FATMFH is, and I'm pretty sure CK will, too.

JW77
04-13-2003, 04:26 PM
And -- Jesus, Anchor Bay needs to cut the fucking prices on this shit. They're still selling at a MSRP of $30.00.

Nobody sells catalog titles for that anymore. Not even Paramount. Most of AB's new Hammer releases, like "Dr. Jekyl and Sister Hyde" and "To the Devil a Daughter" sell for a MSRP of $20.00.

dwatts
04-13-2003, 06:33 PM
Tell me about it! The AB stuff is just too pricey for a fun purchase. They've been out a while too, so the excitement for these titles must be reasonably low.

Rock
04-14-2003, 10:48 PM
Be careful before shelling out for FATMFH...I just watched my Manga Films DVD yesterday (part of their "Hammer Collection") and, while the transfer is gorgeous, it is still missing the notorious scene of Dr. Victor (Cushing) clamping down on the monster's wrist artery with his teeth...$&^#%@$....don't settle for anything less than the complete, unedited version...

dwatts
04-14-2003, 11:01 PM
Which one is the Manga version? Are they the guys putting out the discs listed in the original post?

Seriously, I might settle for a little nip and tuck here and there. I'd rather have the film than not at all. :(

Rock
04-15-2003, 05:39 PM
No, I don't believe so dwatts, Manga Films is in Spain, so the keepcase language is in Spanish but the movie can be viewed in English...I got mine from diabolikdvd.com...they do have a couple of other Hammer films on DVD, but mine did not have a 24-pg. booklet.

dwatts
04-15-2003, 05:48 PM
Oh! yes, I have seen those - ALMOST bought them, except right at the same time I bought Quatertmess Xperiment in the UK, and found the advertisement inside saying the UK version was on the way :) Still, I'm sure you don't regret buying it.

How about Frankenstion Must be Destroyed?

Damn, why are so many of these classics hard to find?!?!?!

JW77
04-16-2003, 12:50 AM
Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed is another Warner title.

The reason so many of those Classic Hammer films are MIA on DVD comes down to studio politics.

The three Dracula films and FMBD are Warner properties, the studio is content to sit on the properties without releasing them. And it's also Warner policy to not license their properties out to third parties like Anchor Bay.

Three others -- Curse of the Werewolf, Brides of Dracula, and Evil of Frankenstein -- are Universal properties. And, so far, Universal hasn't expressed much interest in dipping into their catalog. Unlike Warners, they have shown a willingness to license out their catalog -- lots of their catalog titles were released onto DVD by Image. It was mostly 80s stuff, like Cat People, Ghost Story, They Live, and Prince of Darkness. However, that deal fell through when Image cut the MSRP of their $30.00, non-anamophic, barebones Universal-licensed titles.

Universal was supposed to ramping up their release of catalog titles this year, but I haven't really seen it happen yet. I mean, fuck, their pulled their "classic" Universal horror films out of circulation, with no hints of re-release.

At least Paramount is dipping into their Hammer catalog later this year.

Warner: :fuck:
Universal: :fuck:

dwatts
04-16-2003, 01:47 AM
*sigh*

I can't even give money away :(