PDA

View Full Version : Nightmare City

dwatts
04-13-2003, 11:54 AM
Nightmare City is advertised as a zombie flick – think again. I’m not quite sure what these monsters are, but they are best described as a cross between zombies and vampires. They do not spread their contagion, they can run and jump, and they use weapons such as machetes, knives, axes and guns.

This film is much maligned (Jay Slater’s book butchered (sic) it). So I was not expecting much from my $15 purchase. This disc is put out by Anchor Bay.

First of all, I should say that I have a soft spot for these Italian films. Watching a new one is a real treat. Bad dubbing, silly dialogue, lots of murders etc. That defines Italian horror for me. I was excited to be seeing a film that I had not yet seen.

So is it as bad as people have said? Well, yes. It is bad, and rather silly. But nevertheless, it is bad in a fun kind of way. That’s right, I loved the film! Sure the acting leaves a bit to b desired, and for once, the zombie make-up looks like the people have fallen asleep into their Corn Flake bowls, but the silliness of it is overrun by the fun.

Umberto Lenzi of Cannibal Ferox fame gave us this one. We have the usual assortment of gore – throat slashers, breasts being cut off, heads exploding, stabbings, blood sucking, and Fulci eye gore. Honestly, I don’t know how many people die in this film, but it could easily be in the 60 to 70 range.

All this comes with that brilliant Italian soundtrack music we all know and love. AB have done their usual job of giving us a 2:35 print to die for. This film looks great. Color are bright, no grain etc. It’s another fine job from the AB team.

Extras? An insert with poster art and chapter stop names. A trailer, and a “new interview” with Lenzi. This is 12 minutes long. In it he talks about hating the lead actor, the script, the producer and the original ending (which he changed). No really that interesting, to be honest.

Oh – and the ending, I have read that some hate it (Jay Slater clearly did) but I liken it to the ending of Fulci’s Zombie, clearly a bit ragged, but funny anyway. Love the apocalyptic feel.

All in all then – yes this film is as bad as everyone says it is – but in a good cheesy way. This film is definitely one I am proud to own for my collection. You get a good laugh, some nice gore, and 90 minutes of cheesy music. Come on!

:)

Hellbilly
04-13-2003, 11:58 AM
Love this flick, guilty pleasure for sure. I actually saw this on the big screen once. Quite a experience. :D
Cool review dwatts.

Andrew
04-13-2003, 04:48 PM
I like this one a lot. My thoughts are here: http://www.geocities.com/eurocultdiscs/lenzi.html ...just scroll down.

rhett
04-13-2003, 05:34 PM
This film is a bad movie classic in my opinion. It actually it shot quite nice too in 2.35:1, which is surprising considering I had grown up watching it on a cropped to shit VHS. The ending though, is what really makes the film for me. It is so apocalyptic as you said dwatts, and it is as if it was written by a child in the "and it was all just a bad dream" kind of cop out. There is really no hinting at all to prepare the viewer for the twist ending, but that is part of the fun. It is a bad movie, but in that good, fun way! Good review dwatts!

DefJeff
04-14-2003, 02:27 AM
ehh, i feel this movie is way too slow at some parts.. to the point that it acutally gets boring.

i like Lenzi alot, but i feel this is definitally one of his lesser efforts and overrated in general

hell ya!
04-14-2003, 02:44 AM
I really enjoyed it, great zombie cheese

Jason25
04-14-2003, 03:10 AM
http://www.eurohorrordvds.com/ncab011.jpg

Excellent film! The ending is amazing and fits perfectly.

Hugo Stiglitz is the man!

RyanPC
04-18-2003, 08:08 PM
I love this film... it has to be one of my favorites! I hate Hugo Stiglitz, though! :fire:

wago70
04-19-2003, 02:29 AM
I love that Anchor Bay has released this - they have my $$$ on some cool releases. Fun film - plain and simple.