PDA

View Full Version : Flesh and the Fiends

studio1
04-15-2003, 03:27 AM
Anyone else had the chance to watch this awesome movie made in 1959 and based on the story of Burke and Hare,
starring Donald Pleasance and Peter Cushing, and a few other well known british character actors, such as a young Billie Whitelaw of The Omen/Krays fame.

This special double feature dvd presents the original u.k. cut of The Flesh and the Fiends in a brand-new widescreen transfer made directly from the film's camera negative. Also included is a widescreen edition of the fabled "Continental version" of the film with added scenes of nudity and violence shot for the more permissive European market.

After having had this on shitty vhs for a number of years now, I was bowled over by how this widescreen edition had been handled. man this edition is gob smacking, everything is crystal clear:eek1: and people who fucking moan about how they hate W/S should be made to sit down and watch both versions simultaneously, To say I'm a happy chap is an understatement.
The continental version is a tad lower quality than the U.K. edition but wont spoil your enjoyment, plus, like I stated earlier, it has more violence and nudity.

Special Features Include:
New Widescreen Transfers of both the British and the Continental versions of the film
Theatrical Trailer for The Fiendish Ghouls, the shortened U.S. re-release of the film
Alternate title sequence from Mania, the first U.S. version of the film.
Director and Cast Filmographies
Photo and Poster Gallery
Linear Notes by Genre writer Jonathan Sothcott

Guys I emplore you, if you haven't seen this movie, please, beg, borrow or steal a copy today:evil:, This is how good this gem of a movie is.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/images/293flesh.jpg

Review is here:http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s293flesh.html

S1

Andrew
04-15-2003, 04:08 AM
Ah another movie that's cheap that I've been meaning to get. Thanks for the review!

hell ya!
04-15-2003, 04:10 AM
I just put it in my cart last night;)

studio1
04-15-2003, 03:30 PM
I hope you enjoy it:D

Pleasance is a joy to watch, and like I say there is only the odd couple of surface marks on the print, but I'll be damned if we can find a better quality version of this classic.

S1

Ash28M
07-27-2004, 11:01 PM
Just picked up this DVD today. Great film and one of the best horror films of the Fifties. This and along with Robert Wise's 1945 film Body Snatcher are the among the best examples of the Burke and Hare case of Scotland (1827 - 28) put to film and one of Cushing's best roles.
If you haven't seen the movie i would without hesitation recommend picking it up.

studio1
07-29-2004, 12:28 AM
Never seen the body snatchers, I just ordered the vhs from amazon, as it doesn't seem to be out on dvd:(

After watching the flesh and the fiends, I would like to see other variations on the burke and hare story

Thanks for the heads up :)

Baron Meinster
07-29-2004, 06:11 PM
Peter Cushing is brilliant in this film and I love what he does with one of his eyes! Donald Pleasance is always a joy to watch (apart from maybe Argento's Phenomena) - it is such a shame that both are now lost to movies - but I suppose that, if they were alive, neither would be acting now...

Damed
07-29-2004, 07:35 PM
Just picked up this DVD today. Great film and one of the best horror films of the Fifties. This and along with Robert Wise's 1945 film Body Snatcher are the among the best examples of the Burke and Hare case of Scotland (1827 - 28) put to film and one of Cushing's best roles.
If you haven't seen the movie i would without hesitation recommend picking it up.

Out of curiousity, where did you pick this up? As we both live in the same region, I'd like to know where the "sweet spots" for horror dvds are :)

Ash28M
07-29-2004, 08:40 PM
Out of curiousity, where did you pick this up? As we both live in the same region, I'd like to know where the "sweet spots" for horror dvds are :)

Well I picked it up at a real hard to find hidden Gem of a place it's called Amazon.ca I don't know if you ever heard of it:)

They were handing out 5 dollars off coupons last month so I took advantage and bought that along with white zombie for about $40

If you want to know were I buy my DVD's.

Locally I find the best place is future shop they have a pretty good selection and they have a lowest price guarantee so you can't beat their prices.

Online i usually buy from ebay or if your talking retail the following are good Canadian sites.

www.futureshop.ca
www.amazon.ca
www.dvdboxoffice.com
www.northamericandvd.com
www.dvdsoon.com
www.cnl.com

I usually just check which is offering the best price or which has the ones I want in stock.

The only Canadian online store I now of that sells DVD's from other regions is.

www.machiaveldvd.com

If anyone knows of any other good Canadian Online stores Im always interested.

Damed
07-29-2004, 09:08 PM
YGPM Ash28M

dwatts
07-29-2004, 09:45 PM
Why do you people say this is hard to find? I have a version in the mail as we speak - DDD has them. I got mine and you should go get yours :)

life_o_petey
07-30-2004, 02:06 AM
well, i didn't hesitate and i ordered it today from DDD. i guess i could always use some more 50's horror.

edit: listed as flesh and the friends at DDD.

dwatts
08-02-2004, 11:44 AM
I got mine in the mail late last week. Just have to watch it now :)

dwatts
08-08-2004, 04:30 PM
Watched it last night. The original post is ovr a year old - so I'm going to say that yes, the print is good, but it's not in the upper echelons of what they're able to do with these types of films today. Don't let me put you off, but it's certainly not "crystal clear". It's a little soft.

As for the film - brilliant stuff. Cushing is amazing. Pleasance is great to watch, although the doofy accent was a bit much. He looked like he was impersonating Stan Laurel at times.

Very nice DVD overall. If you like Cushing and don't own this, then shame on you. You're really missing out.