PDA

View Full Version : LD remote controller replacement?

Blade
04-15-2003, 04:41 PM
I recently won a great laserdisc player of ebay.co.uk, the Pioneer CLD-2950, but there is no remote included. Can this remote be replaced by a non-programmable universal remote? I don't mean one of those deluxe touch-screen remotes! I mean a simple (and relatively cheap) universal remote...
And, are all the functions usually present on the cover of a Pioneer player?

jscott
04-15-2003, 09:42 PM
Here's an older thread along the same lines. (http://www.horrordvds.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3869) Since you have a European model, I'm not quite sure if a North American LD player remote would work on yours.

Blade
04-15-2003, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the link, very informative. It looks like I won't be able to play the commentary tracks, but that's okay, I never listen to them anyway.
But I still would like to know, are new (and cheap) universal remotes capable of working with old LD players?

Agent Z
04-16-2003, 12:39 AM
It looks like I won't be able to play the commentary tracks, but that's okay, I never listen to them anyway.

Sacrilege! I couldn't imagine not listening to the commentary tracks! But...to each his/her own. I was curious if the universal remotes can be programmed to do the "step" feature (to page through text/photos one at a time) that is common on most laserdisc remotes. I would check out Ebay before you committed to http://replacementremotes.com/...you can usually pick up the original remote for your player on Ebay for about 20-30 dollars less there.

bigdaddyhorse
04-16-2003, 01:35 AM
There's a site called pacficcoastparts or something like that that has replacment remotes also. I lost the link and adress, but did get a remote for my reciever from em a couple years ago. Not postive if they have LD remotes though, and it looked like they were pretty pricey. I was lucky cuz the one I needed was the cheapest of any listed.

Blade
04-16-2003, 05:36 PM
The problem is that I live in Holland, and most people on Ebay.com will only ship in the U.S.

sinister
04-18-2003, 06:48 PM
I've got a 2950 for my PAL discs so if you're stuck you could send me a learning remote and i could program it from my 2950 remote, or i guess i could buy a learning remote here, program it and send you it or something...

The 2950 has the basic functions on the front panel, side swap, chapter skip, play, stop, eject etc., but you will miss a few features like analogue sound (for commentary tracks), cinema mode (for black screen during side changes) etc.

Blade
04-18-2003, 07:03 PM
Sinister, your suggestion is a great one, but I wouldn't know which remote to buy. Any suggestions?
When you remove the batteries from the remote, does it forget the learned functions? That would suck, because I couldn't replace empty batteries that way....

sinister
04-21-2003, 02:36 AM
Any decent learning remote should do - and the codes should be stored in an eeprom so won't be lost when changing batteries. :)

Just pick one that you like the look of and which has the ability to learn from other remotes, rather than just having preset codes.

Blade
04-27-2003, 03:22 PM
As it turns out, there'll come a learning remote supplied with my LD player. Thanks for all the help though!

sinister
04-28-2003, 01:04 AM
No probs, glad you got it sorted out. :)