PDA

View Full Version : THEM - Opinions?

studio1
04-15-2003, 06:56 PM
Just like to get someones opinion on the quality of the DVD version, as I've been meaning to pick it up for months now.

I have it on vhs, but the quality is a bit rough.

Cheers

S1

dwatts
04-15-2003, 06:58 PM
Very very good imho. You have the VHS, so you already know the film itself. Transfer is marvellous. I have the german release "Formicula!" --LOL--

studio1
04-16-2003, 12:19 AM
Cool, that's all I needed to know, if the transfer was okay?

Cheers

S1

dwatts
04-16-2003, 12:46 AM
Better than okay - they did a great job. I think you'll be very pleased - I was.

studio1
04-16-2003, 01:40 AM
Thanks mate, I just ordered it along with murder by decree.

I've always been a big fan of Them.
That wind effect always stuck in my head as being eerie as hell, especially when the two cops visit the store and the wind is howling outside:nervous:

Gonna be skint this year:( what with all the great releases coming out.

Ahh, who cares as long as I have my movies:D

S1

dwatts
04-16-2003, 10:05 AM
The opening scene of Them - with the girl in the desert, has got to be one of the best openings out there. The ants come early too - so they're visible throughout the whole film. Cheap disc too. Great stuff.

marioscido
04-16-2003, 05:24 PM
Yes, indeed, the opening scene is unforgettable! The recent release of "Them" is really good imo. The B&W print quality is excellent; it is nicely textured and well balanced. You can't go wrong with this disc. The menus are fun as well!

studio1
04-16-2003, 05:48 PM
Thanks guys, will let you know what I think when the dvd's arrive, which should hopeully by tomorrow.

Any othr black and white classic recomendations on dvd.

I just bought the Bob Hope classic The Ghostbreakers, and was wondering if there is any sign of the Cat and the Canary being released on Dvd?, the one starring Bob Hope, I wasn't keen on the other versions

S1

dwatts
04-16-2003, 06:21 PM
The Quatermass films are just great. I am not sure whether you are region-free or not, but each of them (quatermass Xperiment, Quatermass II and Quatermass and the Pit - which is, gasp, in color!) are films you really ought to have. The new UK releases of Xperiment and II are very good.

Do you mean black and white sci-fi, or black and white in general?

marioscido
04-16-2003, 06:38 PM
My favorite "Cat and the Canary" is the 1927 silent version by Paul Muni. It's the grandfather of all haunted house movies. It was put out on dvd by Image, but I haven't seen that version. I'd love to get it though. Maybe soon...

studio1: The poster that you use as your avatar is from which version? I can't really tell from the image. Is it the 1939 version?

dwatts
04-16-2003, 08:33 PM
Hey - let's not forget Night of the Demon :) I just ordereed that one.

studio1
04-17-2003, 12:24 AM
Hey man, you must have a sixth sense or something?, I love the quatermass movies, the atmosphere on quatermass and the Pit was first rate:D

I have all the quatermass movies, + the Tv movie, the one with John Mills in it, not brilliant but watchable.

Do you mean black and white sci-fi, or black and white in general?

Any really, any I probably have forgotten about:D.

marioscido, the avatar is the Bob Hope Version.

Dvd's arrived today, al I can say after watching THEM on dvd is WOW, man, that is unbelievable, I only wish I had bought it earlier:( , quality is superb!!!

I also bought the Abominable snowman, and the print on that is also fabulous, compared to my old and worn out vhs copy.

Hey - let's not forget Night of the Demon
You'll feel the same as me with THEM, when your NOTD arrives:D

S1

dwatts
04-17-2003, 03:40 AM
I tired buying every DVD I wantd all at once, but my wife got too annoyed :D

I canot explain why I have not bought Abominable Snowman. It's going to hit the UK soon, and shall efinately pick it up then.

Not black and white - but you've got to be a big hammer fan - right?

ps: Glad you enjoyed Them. Don't forget The Thing was announced this week! How about Fiend with a Face? Pricey, but a keeper.

Hammerfan
04-19-2003, 08:19 AM
I've been wanting to get this for some time now. I have very distinct memories of watching THEM! on TV as a kid...at all hours of the day when it would come on TV. It has such a memorable opening. I can picture it in my mind right now. Even better, it would be great to see in my home theatre.