PDA

View Full Version : Ordered Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires (and more!)

dwatts
04-17-2003, 11:10 PM
And it shipped today! God help me, I know this one is supposed to be really bad (and I must have seen it before now, but just forget it) but how the hell could I resist:

1. Another hammer film
2. Another Dracula film with Christopher Lee
3. A little bit of Kung Fu mixed in
4. With cheese on top?

So it is headed my way!

Along with this (but not yet shipped - come on DeepDiscount!) is:

Curse of the Demon
The Dunwich Horror (*)
The Fall of the House of Usher (*)
The Pit and the Pendulum (*)
"X" The Man with the X-Ray Eyes (*)
The Blob (criterion)

Those with "*" ship in a box for just $36!

A full complement of classic horror there. Wonderful stuff :)

Paff
04-17-2003, 11:27 PM
that's cool....except Chris Lee isn't in 7 Golden Vampires. Peter Cushing is, but he's a shell of the former Van Helsing. You'll be thinking more of Grand Moff Tarkin instead of Van Helsing.

It's still a fun movie, especially if you're into Kung-Fu Swordplay (very little hand-to-hand combat)

As for the others, I liked The Dunwich Horror a lot, in a cheesy kinda way. Interesting optical effects...

dwatts
04-17-2003, 11:32 PM
Oh - yeah --LOL-- (Quick Watts , go back to edit original message so you don't look like a complete idiot...... doh! Paff has posted a response...... shit!)

Actually, I just want all the Hammer I can get. The Poe stuff is a must and..... well, I must want them, I DID order :)

mutleyhyde
04-17-2003, 11:38 PM
Ahem, dwatts, what did I tell you about Rasputin? :eek2:

dwatts
04-17-2003, 11:44 PM
Oops - don't have it yet :( Forgot :(

I'll be getting Abominable Snowman as soon as the UK disc comes out - along with Kronos and Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell.

Truth be told - this was my first order with Deepdiscount, shipping to the EU. I want to see how it goes. Shipping seems VERY VERY slow. If this order goes well, though, I'll get more. Rasputin will be one - honest!

mutleyhyde
04-17-2003, 11:49 PM
Ah, didn't realize you were in the EU. Still, that's no excuse! Rasputin next time or you're history buddy! ;)

MaxRenn
04-18-2003, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by dwatts
Curse of the Demon
The Dunwich Horror (*)
The Fall of the House of Usher (*)
The Pit and the Pendulum (*)
"X" The Man with the X-Ray Eyes (*)
The Blob (criterion)

Great choices - not one bad movie there (although I'm not that fond of Dunwich).

mutleyhyde
04-18-2003, 06:01 AM
You know, I hated Dunwich, the first time I saw it when I was like 17. Then I picked up the MGM dvd, and now at 33, it seems better. It's just slow, low impact, atmospheric, and certainly dated - however, it does have a certain charm, if you don't mind the pace.

mcchrist
04-18-2003, 07:14 AM
Excellent choices there! I love 7 Golden Vampires, that movie is just a blast! Too bad it came out before the era of the hopping vampire, I'm sure the Hammer/Shaw Bros. title could have had some serious fun with that one!

The rest of the titles rock too!

dwatts
04-18-2003, 11:29 AM
Yup - have left Texas for a while - working in Germany of all places! Difficult to get the DVD's I want here, but the net helps out a lot! I still visit the Us a lot, so all is not lost :)

I'm looking forward to these!

KR~!
04-18-2003, 05:32 PM
The DVD is the uncut version that was never shown in the US. If you are in a retro mood, you can check out the crappy old school badly dubbed and cut version as an extra on the DVD.

X-human
04-18-2003, 08:01 PM
Hey now, Peter Cushing does not take a side step to Christopher Lee. Cushing rocks plain and simple.

Some good picks. If you haven't picked it up already I suggest The Masque of the Red Death, it's on a double bill with Premature Burial on Region 1. It's my favorite of the Corman/Poe series.

Fart Lighter
04-20-2003, 12:04 AM
Prepare yourself for a BAD disc with 7 VAMPIRES, it's one of the worst quailty I've ever seen. There's these weird circles that keep appearing everywhere, characters have different colour eyes and green teeth in some shot. Dunno what program GTM NEW MEDIA (Or whatever they were called) used to encode this movie, but I hope I never see another disk made with it!

dwatts
04-20-2003, 01:54 AM
Oh, I am ready - and will give you feedback when it arrives :)

KR~!
04-20-2003, 03:00 PM
Check out this link, they review 8 different vampire kung-fu flims.

http://www.kfccinema.com/

dwatts
11-21-2005, 12:00 AM
Did a search, no thread on this one.

Anyway, I have owned the R1 version - which has some nice extras - for quite some time. Never thought it was great looking, but it was alright. Recently I bought the R2 to see if it was any better - and watchd that tonight. Good news! The R2 version is pristine! I had missed some of the excellent lighting in this one - at times it looks like a Suspiria era Argento flick. The image is anamorphic, and dirt free throughout.

If there are fans of this film out there, it's worth the upgrade for the film. Sadly the DVD is bare bones, so keeping both is a smart move.

Agent Z
11-21-2005, 06:53 AM
Thanks for the update. I might actually add this R2 to complement my laserdisc. :)

I couldn't find a dedicated LOTSGV myself, just this thread (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=11739&highlight=legend+golden+vampires) from dwatts some time ago. ;)

dwatts
11-21-2005, 07:28 AM
Thanks man - it didn't show for me.... maybe I'm a dork. (don't answer that).

mutleyhyde
11-21-2005, 05:18 PM
Merged threads.

I know I've talked about this one extensively before, think I even opened a thread on it. Seems maybe some old threads are either gone or are stored where the search function can't get to them.

EDIT; All I can find of my original thoughts on this one are buried in this thread (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=1075), but here's the gist of it...

I used to absolutely hate this movie, until I saw the original edit. The American edit shows just how bad piss poor editing can ruin a movie. I strongly suggest you pick up the dvd if all you have is the American version (if you have an AB video, I bet it's the UK edit, but check it out to be sure). It also has a great audio adaptation read by Peter Cushing.

... and also from this thread (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=1141)...

I popped Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires in last night (had been studying for hours and need a little escape!). Now, I've gone on record before stating that I like the original version of this film quite well, and that the dvd is pretty cool in the extras department, and presents a great example of how important the craft of editing can be to a film (it includes the horrendous American cut). Only thing is, and I did in fact notice it the first time I watched it, either the print or the transfer is plagued by these football shaped, very light, transparant artifacts most noticeble in Van Helsing's apartment on the walls and ceiling as he first meets the head brother (forget his name), but prevalent throughout the movie. Has anyone else noticed this, either on this release or maybe on another dvd? I wondered if this was a problem with the print, or if it was some growing pains that good ole' boy Lustig and Anchor Bay had to go through. The footballs aren't really that distracting, if you can ignore them. It's not like they're solid shapes. You can see right through them, they just kind of wash out the color a little in the space behind them, and sometimes layer upon one another. In any event, I still say it's a worthy addition to any Hammer library.

dwatts
11-22-2005, 03:48 AM
Man, I screwed up on that search :D

Mutley - the AB release just wasn't very good. The newer R2 is just a miles ahead of it. It can be had quite cheaply, if you enjoy the film, an upgrade is the best path.