PDA

View Full Version : The Oblong Box

dwatts
04-18-2003, 02:06 AM
Just got through watching The Oblong Box. And what a treat it is!

Oblong Box is one a long line of films Vincent Price made based on Poe stories. This one has voodoo, throat slashings, stabbings and burials. It’s kind of a “Man in the Iron Mask” crossed with Psycho.

I happen to like all of these Poe type films, but quite honestly, it is hard for me to imagine that anyone, Poe fan or not, would not find something to like here. It’s a great little story of revenge, with a strong hint of the macabre (and what else should we expect from Poe?)

Basically we have a story of two brothers. They live in Africa, since they’re plantation owners. Something happens, the natives use a bit of voodoo, and one of the brothers is turned into a monster as revenge.

The story picks up back home after that. The mutant brother is kept in a room at the top of the house, while Price turns into a recluse looking after him. But why did the natives in Africa punish the brother? And what is the brother’s plot to free himself from Prices clutches?

This is out in R2 in a double feature MGM Midnite Movie pack with “Scream and Scream Again”. Transfer great, only a trailer as an extra. Mono sound.

I’m not going to talk about Scream and Scream Again. It’s one of the tripiest films I have ever seen. I still don’t really understand it (something to do with a bunch of Nazi wannabes) but it is so freaking weird it’s great. As a double pack – this is a delight and great value. Just expect to see something “unique” in Scream.

By the way – couple of things. The mutation in Oblong Box is a real letdown, when everything is resolved you kind of wonder what the fuss was about. The film also has some of the lamest throat slashings I’ve ever seen – they’re not even scratches. Finally, in one scene - where a prostitute gets murdered - blood is spurting out the end of the knife used to kill her, even before it reaches her throat – which is hilarious to freeze frame.

Not to take anything away from the film – it’s a great journey, very entertaining. You get Price and Christopher Lee together for the first time, and a great 90 minute yarn. Brilliant stuff.

hell ya!
04-18-2003, 05:26 AM
Great review, i am going to pick this one up when i get a little more cash ;)

Grim
04-18-2003, 04:28 PM
Only ten bucks, how can I resist, I think I'll pick it up this weekend.

Rock
04-18-2003, 06:01 PM
BOX is much better than SCREAM...even with the phony throat slashings...this was prob pretty potent stuff back in 1969...and what a letdown SCREAM is...what the hell were the filmmakers thinking by putting 3 masters of terror in the same film and then never letting them share screen time together?! Oh, wait a minute, I know....let's rip off the viewer! What a waste...

Zodiac-Mindwarp
04-18-2003, 09:00 PM
i picked up this double feature from MGM Midnite Movies on Tuesday at Best Buy. A hell of a deal for $10.00 :D

I remember seeing Oblong Box at the drive in as a kid and thinking that it was creepy as hell.

I look forward to sitting down and watching this once I finish Band Of Brothers this weekend.

joltaddict
05-11-2003, 08:15 PM
I just (finally) watched The Oblong Box. Anybody who says Box is better than Scream and Scream is crazy. I can see feeling cheated that Price/Lee/Cushing only had what amounts to cameos but judging the movies alone SASA is worlds more entertaining.