PDA

View Full Version : Oblong Box anyone?

dwatts
04-18-2003, 03:08 AM
Posted a brief review: http://horrordvds.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11741

Anyone else like this one? I really enjoyed it! Man, the value you can get for $10! Comments on Scream and Scream Again also appreciated. Definately made on acid - no?

MaxRenn
04-18-2003, 05:33 AM
Good review dwatts. "Oblong Box" is pretty good but that makeup job on the mutation kind of spoils the effect. Still haven't seen "Scream and Scream Again".

You should get the recently released "Cry of the Banshee" / "Murders in the Rue Morgue" both also directed by Gordon Hessler. "Cry..." is a story of witches in olde England - somewhat reminiscent of "WitchFinder General". "Murders...." is a really interesting film with a good script (not based on the Poe story) and cast. Both are good movies but I haven't seen the DVD so can't comment on quality. For less than $10 I'm sure it's fine.

mutleyhyde
04-18-2003, 07:03 AM
I still gotta watch this one. I've had it for a while now, having picked up a bunch of Midnite Movies during the last MGM sale at Best Buy online. Corman Poe and Vincent Price for cheap? Yeah, that's a bargain. :banana:

Hammerfan
04-19-2003, 09:17 AM
I thought THE OBLONG BOX was great but I really did not like SCREAM AND SCREAM AGAIN. To be honest, I thought it was a real snoozer. :sleepy:
Luckily, the other movie made this a keeper. :)

I have mixed feelings about Hessler's work. To me his direction can be rather plodding. Yet THE OBLONG BOX didn't feel like it was made by the same director.

You are right, though.....for 10 bucks these are bargains, even if one of the movies sucks.
:banana:

Fart Lighter
04-20-2003, 12:43 AM
I really liked OBLONG BOX, much better than I expected.

SCREAM AND SCREAM AGAIN has it's merits, but also has too many problems. A messy plot. But it's something that every filmmaker who really wants to make a 'trendy' film should watch. Look how horribly cheesy it looks nowadays, it looks much more dated than earlier films! Why? Becasue it was over-trendy for it's time. GIve it ten years, and all the trendy horror of today, like SCREAM will look just as bad.