dwatts
04-18-2003, 10:50 PM
Rabid
Director David Cronenberg
Roger Corman – The Directors Series
New Concorde DVD
4:3
Extras: Trailer and Bios

Guy and gal on a motorcycle. They hit a truck. She gets injured quite seriously, he has minor injuries. Fortunately, they crash right outside a cosmetic surgery hospital. She is whisked inside where they try some experimental reconstructive surgery, and he heads back to Montreal while she heals.

One anus under the arm (with a penis hiding inside), some bloodletting and frothy mouths later, and we have the makings of another strange (if early) Cronenberg effort.

Rabid was a film that at various points I both liked and disliked. Having sat through the whole thing I can conclude that the opening sequences, and the slowness of the tale movie to Montreal, is the problem.

In the latter stages of the film, things really pick up, although the low budget really hurts (it’s hard to portray a city under siege with no money and one garbage truck). However, what we do get to see is kind of interesting.

The movie is called Rabid because of a disease that is going around, this is thought to be rabies. Actually though, people are turned into these cool zombie type creatures. Some of the deaths are really quite inventive (jack hammer through the door of a car?) and there is a bit of blood too. And hey, Marilyn Chambers plays the female lead, and she doesn’t mind doing plenty of topless work.

Still, something just failed to fully engage me here. The lighting is poor, one sequence takes place in a movie theater, where the lights are turned up quite brightly, yet everyone is staring at the screen as though it’s black. To be honest, everything looks overlit to me.

Maybe it’s the fault of a merely “okay” transfer (but I doubt it). The colors are okay (but a bit muted) and the lack of dynamic lighting makes every scene look the same. Sound is mono. There are some good performances though.

All in all, I’d have to say that from my point of view, some of the earlier Cronenberg films sound better when they’re discussed, than when you actually watch them. I never thought I would say that – because I have seen Videodrome and Dead Ringers so many times, and am NEVER disappointed. But after The Brood (which I thought was just okay) and this, I have to wonder if the early works (though interesting from a formative perspective) really hold up. Looking like a straight to video movie, this one is not a “must own” imho. If you can get it cheap, do so. Maybe there is a better version out there somewhere.

Zodiac-Mindwarp
04-18-2003, 10:59 PM
I liked this movie quite a lot years ago, but it does not sound like it has held up to well.

Still, Cronenberg is one of my very favorite directors, so I must look around for this on DVD to add to my Cronenberg Collection.

I look forward to hearing if their is a better edition of this film out there.

dvdasia62
04-18-2003, 11:34 PM
I'm not a Cronenberg fan at all but I like "Rabid". Reminds me at times of Romero's "The Crazies".

Zodiac-Mindwarp
04-19-2003, 12:49 AM
I had not thought of that before, but you are right.

For that matter, Crazies and Rabid would make a good double feature. :D

I will have to try that sometime.

legnadibrom
04-19-2003, 01:10 PM
you just dissed two of my fav cronenberg movies dude! i love both of them, they have a weird, cloudy, claustrophobic feel to them, like "shivers,"
on another note i saw "spider" last weekend, i kept falling asleep, boring as shit, fiennes is great, but the movie moves at the pace of a locomotive being pulled by eric roberts' corpse

dwatts
04-19-2003, 01:34 PM
I really want to see Spider. Hopefully it will it DVD soon. I won't even wait for it to get cheap (which I suspect it will do - very fast!)

Hellbilly
04-19-2003, 08:05 PM
I hope we will see a better DVD of this in the near future.
Until then I'm sticking to my old Warner tape, even though it's hardly watchable anymore.

Rock
04-22-2003, 04:47 PM
SPIDER is already out on DVD...check diabolikdvd.com.

RyanPC
04-27-2003, 05:16 PM
I loved Rabid... I thought it was a wonderful movie. I also loved Cronenburg's Shivers (aka They Came From Within) and The Fly.

It's a little ironic, but doesn't it seem like The Fly ISN'T one of Cronenburg's films? I mean, I love it, but it just doesn't seem like the kind of film he would do, no?

I was disappointed in Videodrome... but hardly even remember it. Maybe I should give it another spin. :D

Blade
04-27-2003, 09:49 PM
Hey Ryan, I LOVE your avatar! Do you adore Amy Irving as much as I do?

Back on topic: I have two versions of Rabid on dvd, one widescreen and one fullscreen. The widescreen version is the English edition and comes with an introduction by David Cronenberg himself. It has better colors than the fullscreen version, and quality of the print is satisfying. I never noticed any bad lighting, so I'm guessing that's a problem with the region 1 release?

The movie itself to me has a reel Cronenberg feeling to it, more than The Brood anyway. It does tend to move slowly, but overall it is interesting to watch and very atmospheric. Any Cronenberg fan should be able to enjoy it I think.

shift
05-02-2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Rock
SPIDER is already out on DVD...check diabolikdvd.com.

I head from alot of people that this movie is pretty bad and is extremely SLOW. I also checked on IMBD reviews and boy were the David Cronenberg fans pissed on this one :(

Zodiac-Mindwarp
05-03-2003, 12:12 AM
I have loved pretty much all of the Cronenberg, with the exception of Fast Company.

If you want to see a Cronenberg movie that REALLY does not feel like a Cronenberg movie, just try Fast Company.

Spider looks interesting , but different than what I usually expect from a Cronenberg flick, judging by the trailer.

dwatts
05-03-2003, 02:38 AM
I really want Spider. Really bad! Screw what thers think - I have high expectations!