PDA

View Full Version : Piranha (1978) (R2)

Hellbilly
04-19-2003, 12:26 AM
I think most of you are familiar with Joe Dante's low budget toothy tale about a horde of man-eating fish that were "created" by the military (as a top secret project to use in the Vietnam war), gnawing their way down a river towards a family beach resort ...

Three years before Dante amazed the masses with The Howling he gave us this sassy little Jaws ripoff, cleverly scripted by John Sayles with a cast of genre faves including Kevin McCarthy, Dante regular Dick Miller and Barbara Steele *drool*

Gallons of blood, tongue in cheek humor, a little slapstick and cheesy effects - Piranha is pure camp: Not my favorite Joe Dante flick but a fun timewaster nonetheless.

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B00006JYXC.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

New Concorde's DVD (http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/n-z/piranha/) seems to be (almost) the ultimate edition: featuring audio commentary, making of, bloopers & outtakes etc.
None of the extras made it on MGM's R2 release (except for one Theatrical Trailer) - but it's 16:9 enhanced (1.78:1) whilst the US version is not. The transfer is very good. Crystal clear image, hardly any dirt or print damage at all. Audio (English 2.0 mono) is ok.
Only recommended if you really need to watch this film in widescreen and can do without any extras. :eek2:

dwatts
04-19-2003, 01:58 AM
That's the worst of the region crap - extras I might actually want getting "lost" between regions.

Anyway, being reminded of this film makes me want to give it a go --LOL-- I mean, it can't be good!

wago70
04-19-2003, 03:26 AM
I'll have to own this along with some other Region 2 flicks (Deepstar Six and Silver Bullet)

Andrew
04-19-2003, 05:48 AM
I love PIRANHA! I've been meaning to get the US disc for a long time but never have gotten around to it. Oh well, maybe one day.

Mortis
04-19-2003, 06:58 AM
Piranha is badass. I just saw it for the first time about a month ago. I haven't seen it for sale, though. I always see the second one.

Hellbilly
04-19-2003, 08:54 PM
I probably would have picked up the sequel if Columbia had released it in it's original 2.35:1 aspect ratio.
I wonder if there are release plans for the pseudo-sequel Killer Fish ...

life_o_petey
04-23-2003, 03:19 AM
I was reading in a book on John Sayles earlier today and it really got me in the mood to watch this.