PDA

View Full Version : Zombi 3 review

RyanPC
04-19-2003, 08:33 AM
I wrote this review for my Euro Horror DVDs (http://www.msnusers.com/eurohorrordvds) and decided I should post it here, too. Here goes:

In 1979, Lucio Fulci directed one of his most famous films, the classic Zombie. In 1988, he decided to direct a follow-up to that film. Unfortunately, he was unhappy with what he had filmed and quit the project, leaving it unfinished. Bruno Mattei was hired to finish Zombi 3 (although Fulci is given the most credit-- something I don't think he was proud of), and I can't say that he was all that successful. The film has it's share of gore and violence, but does that really make a movie? Shriek Show has released Zombi 3 in anamorphic widescreen, so let's take a look at how this film turned out.

The Plot

After a group of terrorists release toxic waste on a town of unsuspecting citizens, it turns them into zombies. A group of people including Kenny (Deran Sarafian) and Patricia (Beatrice Ring) seek refuge at a near-by hotel, not knowing that there are zombies inside! From there on in the plot deteriorates, and all that is left is a bunch of mindless zombies (including some really freaky "ninja zombies") intent on killing everyone in sight.

The reason why this summary is so short is because that is really all there is... not much plot, just lots of action. The film could have been better, but then again, it could have been much worse than it actually is. The original Zombie is a classic in my opinion, and while Zombi 3 tries it's best to live up to the original, it doesn't really. It is surprising since Fulci directed most of Zombi 3-- you would think he'd know how to do it. I'm sure that the main problem was the script, and there is only so far you can go with the material.

The make-up effects are alright, but aren't near as well done as in the original, and the music is also somewhat effective. The dubbing is atrocious, but isn't it always? The whole movie reminds me a lot of Lenzi's Nightmare City (aka City of the Walking Dead), but is also not near as good as that classic. Actually, it is not surprising since Claudio Fragasso was both writer for this film and for Nightmare City. This movie is somewhat laughable, and is really enjoyable if you go in knowing that it's a movie you can actually laugh at. If you go in thinking it is going to be a masterpiece of serious Italian horror cinema, you are wrong, my friend. It strives to be serious, but in the end turns out just plain goofy.

Rating 3/5 (Camp Value)

Video Quality

The video quality on this Shriek Show DVD is not as good as what I expected it to be. There is a lot of grain and the colors are pale and lacking. Also, the film has a very fuzzy and hazy look that is not very pleasant to the eye. Believe it or not, there are actually scenes which look worse than the rest of the film and are of varying quality. A slip included inside the box explains that this is due to the process they used to make the film uncut and assures us that this is the best possible print of Zombi 3 available. The film looks slightly older than it actually is, which is not a very good sign. But overall the transfer is somewhat acceptable and Shriek Show should be commended for bringing an obscure title such as Zombi 3 to the U.S. uncut for the first time.

Rating: 2.5/5

Sound Quality

There is no indication of what type of track this is, so I am guessing it is Dolby Digital Mono and it's your only choice. The sound is alright, but there is really no life in it- exactly what is expected of Mono. It is alright for what it's worth, but it leaves a lot to be desired.

Rating: 3/5

Special Features

There are some nice extras on this DVD, but they are somewhat small. First up is some interviews with co-director Bruno Mattei, writer Claudio Fragasso, stars Ottaviano Dell'Acqua & Massimo Vanni, and star Mariana Loi. They are all somewhat interesting and nice to have. The rest is just standard stuff: talent bios, liner notes, theatrical trailer, and trailers for other Shriek Show DVDs. A Mattei commentary is to be desired, but the things Shriek Show included are okay for now.

Rating: 3.5/5

Overall

This is a good release from Shriek Show, and a mildly enjoyable film if you don't take it too seriously. I paid $25 for this, and for that price I recommend that you rent it first to see if it suits your tastes. Shriek Show is becoming increasingly popular with their wonderful releases, and, although I can't say this is one of their better ones, I must admit that I am learning to love them as I collect their DVDs. They did a great job considering this is probably the best Zombi 3 is ever going to look.

Overall Rating: 3/5

legnadibrom
04-19-2003, 01:13 PM
nice thorough review, although i dont think "zombie3" tried to live up to the original, they are vastly different,
$25?! holy shit man, i got mine for $14.98! you got PUNK'D

Andrew
04-19-2003, 07:52 PM
Yeah seriously, I feel bad for all of these people who pay retail (I may sound snobby, but it's true!). Do some looking around first; hell even Best Buy has it for $20.

I was pretty disappointed in this film. It was pretty boring and not really bad enough to be good. I dunno, it deserves a second chance but overall I was a bit let down.

Zodiac-Mindwarp
04-19-2003, 08:42 PM
I thought that it was an okay movie, but not as good as I remember it being.

I think my local Best Buy had it for $17.99 or $14.99 when I picked it up.

Decent for the price, and worth adding to my collection. :)

RyanPC
04-19-2003, 09:47 PM
Yeah I know... I got mine at FYE and they are too expensive with their DVDs!

Mortis
04-20-2003, 12:57 AM
My buddy bought this at Suncoast and he only paid $19.99, so you know $25 is expensive. :D

I saw this movie, but I had a few alcoholic beverages. I didn't like it, but I'll have to see it again.

Zodiac-Mindwarp
04-20-2003, 01:03 AM
Actually a few alcoholic beverages might make this movie better! :lol:

RyanPC
04-20-2003, 04:37 AM
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Mortis
04-20-2003, 12:27 PM
Hah! I just e-mail my buddy that has 3 and 4. He's going to bring them down and we're going to watch them again. Maybe my opinion will be better, maybe not. Oh, and there will probably be more beverages, but I'll try to pace myself better. :D

Originally posted by Zodiac-Mindwarp
Actually a few alcoholic beverages might make this movie better! :lol:

Mortis
04-20-2003, 12:28 PM
Oh, RyanPC, I just noticed that you're from PA, too. There seems to be a few of us representing now.

RyanPC
04-20-2003, 07:44 PM
Yeah, my dad used to live in Pittsburgh but he moves a lot. So I spent a little time down there.

rxfiend
04-23-2003, 08:45 AM
i only paid $12.99 for my copy (used, but in great shape!).