PDA

View Full Version : Cannibal Ferox review

RyanPC
04-19-2003, 08:37 AM
I wrote this review for my MSN Group Euro Horror DVDs (http://www.msnusers.com/eurohorrordvds) and decided I should post it here, too. Here goes:

Let's face it-- there were a lot of cannibal movies in the 70's and 80's. Some of them were so cruel they were almost unbareable (i.e. Cannibal Holocaust), and Cannibal Ferox falls somewhat into this category. It is cruel, but also very enjoyable to watch. This is probably one of the goriest films I have ever seen, and also one of the most interesting, so let's take a look at Grindhouse's version of Cannibal Ferox (aka Make Them Die Slowly).

The Plot

A group of explorers-- Gloria (Lorainne De Selle), her brother Rudy (Danilo Mattei), and their friend Pat (Zora Kerova)-- set out to the jungle in order to prove that cannibalism does not exist. Along the way, their jeep gets stuck in the mud, and they are forced to travel by foot in the mighty jungle. They meet a couple of drug dealers, Mike (Giovanni Lombardo Radice, aka John Morghen) and his friend Joe (Vanantino Vanantini), who say they narrowly escaped being killed by a local cannibal tribe. They walk along until they come to the village where the cannibals live. Joe was severely wounded, and is about to die, when he tells Gloria, Rudy, and Pat the real story. It was actually the other way around-- Mike tortured and humilated the cannibals. After Rudy dies, they decide they must get out of the jungle for fear the cannibals will torture them because of what Mike did. But the natives get to them before they can even leave, killing them off one by one in most brutal ways until there is only one left...

Cannibal Ferox (also known as Make Them Die Slowly) is probably my favorite cannibal film because I remember watching it when I was younger... it totally freaked me out! But I still loved it, and although it may sound morbid, my heart has a special place reserved for it. Sure, it is extremely gory, but that is what is so fun about it! Some of the deaths will have you cringing (especially the guys!), but the special effects are awesome, although some of them look fake. The only thing I have against the film are the animal deaths... I have always hated them and felt it was not needed in order to make this a good film. I think they weaken it, but that's up to you.

I also must say that this film has one of the best soundtracks... EVER. It is simply awesome and fits into the film perfectly. You will still have that little jungle tune stuck in your head for days afterward.

This film is definitely one of the more primitive cannibal films, although some of it takes place in New York City where a cop is trying to locate Mike for dealing drugs. These scenes certainly weaken the movie, but aren't all that bad... at least it's something to hold the plot together! I highly recommend this film to anyone who loves Italian cannibal movies!

Rating: 5/5

Video Quality

The video quality on Grindhouse's DVD is excellent, although it is non-anamorphic. It is so much better than past VHS releases, and although I have not seen Sazuma's DVD, it is also better than it, too. There are some minor problems like specks and glitches, but they are very minor and not too noticeable since you will be totally fixed on the movie and nothing else. The film is also colorful and the does the film justice. There is no doubt in my mind that this is the best Cannibal Ferox has ever looked.

Rating: 4/5

Sound Quality

The film is presented in Dolby Digital Stereo and sounds very good, although it's not the best track I've ever heard. Overall it is pretty weak but somewhat effective, especially when it comes to the film's score. You also have the choice of an Italian track, which is also fairly good although I wouldn't say it is better than the English.

Rating: 3/5

Special Features

First off is a commentary with director Umberto Lenzi and star John Morghen. It seems as if two tracks were spliced together to create this, because at times it feels they are not in the same room. But then other times it seems they are talking to each other. Overall, the commentary was very good and it was nice to hear comments from the both of them, despite the fact that Morghen hates this film and any other horror films he has done. I have grown to love Morghen in films such as Cannibal Apocalypse and City of the Living Dead, so it was great to see him participating. He seems like a very likeable guy and very pleasant, although he was very digusted with this film. It was also wonderful to hear from Lenzi although it was hard to understand him some of the times because of his accent.

Also included are the Italian, German, and U.S. trailers for this film. All of them contain major spoilers so it is recommended that you view them after watching the film. There is also a great still gallery, liner notes from Bill Landis, and an interview with Umberto Lenzi, which is interesting. Also included is an Easter Egg, which is included in the "Grindhouse Releasing" menu. Click on the small "Banned in 31 Countries" icon and you will find a videotaped segment of a showing of Cannibal Ferox in a theater and the reaction of the audience before and after the showing. It is really interesting and a wonderful addition to this already excellent DVD of a classic film. I also have to mention the wonderful menus which are included... check out the Biographies section for a great laugh!

Rating: 5/5

Overall

Overall, this is a wonderful DVD and a great addition to anyone's film library. It is definitely worth the price, so I highly recommend that you go out and buy it now! If you haven't seen the film, you may need to rent it first as it is really vicious and brutal, and it is a taste you need to acquire. Just make sure you have a strong stomach!!

Overall Rating: 4.5/5

DefJeff
04-19-2003, 08:45 AM
Zora Kerova and Lorraine DeSelle = :sperm: :sperm: :sperm:

i also totally enjoy this movie, and besides the great cannibal havoc, i love the cast. John Morgan is one of my favorite actors and the already mentioned beautiful Zora Kerova and Lorraine DeSelle are always welcomed.

i think this movie is more enjoyable then Cannibal Holocaust because of the fact that this movie is extremely cheesy and definitally not made to be as serious as CH was.

also, who can forget Zora Kerova's death, in my opinion, its one of the best ever!

RyanPC
04-19-2003, 08:47 AM
I agree with everything you say! I have never seen Cannibal Holocaust, though. I love this movie!! :p

mcchrist
04-19-2003, 10:22 AM
I didn't really care for this one... There are a few scenes that work, but overall... I'd rather watch Holocaust.

legnadibrom
04-19-2003, 01:16 PM
"wheres your stud, bitch?!"

Andrew
04-19-2003, 07:51 PM
I've been wanting to see this movie since I saw the VHS cover. I'm finally taking the plunge some time in the upcoming week, so I'll be back with some opinions. I'm excited as hell though.

YottNik
03-14-2007, 09:15 PM
I saw this as a teenager way back in the 80s. It's one of those movies that I'll never forget watching. The human torture never bothered me but the animal cruelty scenes made it tough to get through. Overall, I'm glad I saw it but I decided then that I never needed to see it again. The animal scenes just made it too tough for me.

Fast forward 20+ years to last week. I see a used Grindhouse release of it on sale for a few bucks. On a whim I buy it even though as I'm doing it I'm not sure I'll ever actually watch it. I'm not even sure what made me buy the damn thing, to be honest.

I really want to watch it because... well, I bought it so why not, right? But I'm having trouble preparing myself mentally for it cause I know I'm going to have trouble getting through parts of it.

It may end up taking lots and lots of alcohol for me to put this in the DVD player. AAIIEE.

wago70
03-14-2007, 09:38 PM
I always fast forward thru the animal parts. I hate them (and I'm no hardcore activist or "pro" this or that). I really like the dialogue scenes that just crack me up. The charm of the DVD is the easter egg showing the premiere screening in the late '90's at the Vine Theatre in Hollywood. Excellent.
I like watching the NY scenes the most. For some reason, Times Square in the '70's just appealed to me and I've never even been there. The music helps also.
I love the ending of the film, too.

MorallySound
03-14-2007, 09:55 PM
I saw this as a teenager way back in the 80s. It's one of those movies that I'll never forget watching. The human torture never bothered me but the animal cruelty scenes made it tough to get through. Overall, I'm glad I saw it but I decided then that I never needed to see it again. The animal scenes just made it too tough for me.

Fast forward 20+ years to last week. I see a used Grindhouse release of it on sale for a few bucks. On a whim I buy it even though as I'm doing it I'm not sure I'll ever actually watch it. I'm not even sure what made me buy the damn thing, to be honest.

I really want to watch it because... well, I bought it so why not, right? But I'm having trouble preparing myself mentally for it cause I know I'm going to have trouble getting through parts of it.

It may end up taking lots and lots of alcohol for me to put this in the DVD player. AAIIEE.

If you don't want to watch it again, I'll buy it off you! :glasses:

YottNik
03-15-2007, 12:01 AM
If you don't want to watch it again, I'll buy it off you! :glasses:
Ha ha... what's it worth to ya? :D

MorallySound
03-15-2007, 02:06 AM
Ha ha... what's it worth to ya? :D

Sorry, I found the re-release unexpectedly just a couple hours ago, so I picked that up. We usually never get any of the good horror releases in the stores where I live. Not one place even had Night of the Comet, and that's MGM!

hellraiser40
03-15-2007, 03:20 AM
the first scene with the big snake strangling that little creature is just agonizing to watch and probably the first scene in my whole life that i fast-forwarded...EVER...though i have to mention this happened the second time i watched this film. the rest is very nice cheese with great gore and music (and even the rest of the animal cruelty pales with that first scene).

really, being able to have a camera on your shoulder, a crew around, waiting until the little critter is suffocated (or almost dead and then saved), what kind of person do you have to be, money involved or not...

DEADCHRIST
03-16-2007, 02:50 AM
This movie ranks high for me, one of the most mean-spirited and downright EVIL movies I can think of, next to Last House on Dead End Street.