PDA

View Full Version : Friday the 13th Review

Grim
04-19-2003, 07:06 PM
Here's a little review I did for my site, it's my first true review so please forgive it's novice aspects. Tell me what you all think, I welcome constructive criticism, I'm always wanting to improve on my review skills:

From: Jon's Horror Site (http://www.geocities.com/zombieman132002/Jonshorrorpage.html?1050359298638)

FRIDAY THE 13TH-1980
C: Betsy Palmer, Adrienne King, Harry Crosby, Peter Brouwer, Laurie Bartram, Jeannine Taylor, Kevin Bacon, Mark Nelson, Robbie Morgan D: Sean S. Cunningham W: Victor Miller M: Harry Manfredini

Camp crystal Lake has had a rough history. Whether itís the boy drowning in 1957 or the murder of two counselors shortly after, not a lot has been on Crystal Lakeís side. The locals have nicknamed the forsaken camp "Camp Blood", which does not help matters either. After nearly twenty years of terror and bad luck, not much hope is left for the summer camp. Steve Christy (Peter Brouwer) plans on changing that, heís bought the camp grounds and is fixing the place up for a grand opening that summer. Steve has hired 7 counselors to help him do this. Despite constant warnings from the bumbling locals, the counselors seem very enthusiastic about their new summer job. Unfortunately for the camp, and very unfortunately for Steve and his counselors, there is someone who doesnít want the camp opening back up, and theyíll see to it that it doesnít, at all costs. On this night, this June, Friday 13th, each counselor is stalked and brutally murdered, one by one. Will they find out who this relentless attacker is before itís too late or will they all fall victim to the crazed killer? Watch and find out.

This was one of the first horror films that I saw, and I loved it. This movie kept me on the edge of my seat until the bitter and horrific end. Most of the acting from the cast is good, even though some of it seems a bit forced. Many will also notice a very young Kevin Bacon in this film as the laid back Jack. This film also benefits from brilliant special effects from Tom Savini.

Okay, now for the DVD. I donít own this DVD but I did rent it just to see how it was, until a more robust special edition comes out or prices drop, Iíll stick to my VHS. The film is presented in itís original widescreen aspect ratio of 1.85:1. This transfer is near perfect, hands down the best Iíve ever seen the film. The colors are well balanced and the blacks are superb, especially in some of the very dark night scenes near the end of the film, most of which I can barely make out on my VHS. There is a little grain and some scratches here and there but nothing noticeable. Overall a great job by Paramount. The original mono sound mix is all we got here folks, sorry, no Dolby 5.1 surround here, despite that disappointment, the film sounds fine and it should satisfy most. The only extra Paramount provided for us is a trailer, thatís good and all but I wanted more. Those deleted scenes Iíve got on my bootleg Japanese version wouldíve been a nice bonus too.

Great movie, great picture, good sound, and shitty extras. If you can find this at a good price get it, but if this is selling for like $29.99 save your money.

Movie 4.5/5
Picture 4.5/5
Sound 3/5
Extras 1/5

Zodiac-Mindwarp
04-19-2003, 07:31 PM
A damn fine review Mr Grim. :)

I agree that the transfer on Friday The 13th was very good, and if you can find it at a good price it is worth adding to your collection.

Eddie Quist
04-19-2003, 09:12 PM
Good review, dude. :D

agentc
04-20-2003, 07:14 PM
Good review, any news on that R2 SE? anyone?

Midnight Buddha
04-20-2003, 07:43 PM
I read somewhere on the net that it`s due for release sometime in the fall and will also include a commentary track with Director Sean Cunningham, Stars Adrienne King and Betsy Palmer and Composer Harry Manfredini and more!.

Zodiac-Mindwarp
04-20-2003, 07:50 PM
I read something very similar to what you read Midnight Buddha.

I am looking forward to the release of this new disc. Finally UNCUT and with some great extras! :banana:

rhett
04-21-2003, 05:19 PM
Great review, J.Bo! :D

Just reading about the original FRIDAY has me wanting to pop it in my player again. I think I just might...