PDA

View Full Version : What are some of your rare buys / finds?

Dave
04-20-2003, 03:40 PM
Years ago when I was out in California I found a used copy of The Frighteners for $29.00. I couldn't believe it. This was when it was going for upwards of $500 on ebay. I ended up selling it for $125.

I also found a used copy of The Matrix. It was real beat up, but I got $60 for it on ebay.

Monster Squad widescreen was a rare find too.

What have you guys found for cheap?

ekent
04-20-2003, 05:12 PM
I traded a guy an NES system (found at a garage sale for 3 bucks) and a VHS dub of Return of the Living Dead (when it wasn't out on DVD yet) for Dawn and Day of the dead DVD's. So in essence, I "found" a real egghead.

John
04-20-2003, 08:34 PM
I found a sealed THX WOW! laserdisc (sealed) for $10 when it was going for $100 on ebay.

sinister
04-21-2003, 03:44 AM
I've got quite a few rare LD's, but none of them were exactly cheap! :rolleyes:

To name a few:

Dawn of the Dead perfect collection (Jap)
Tenebrae, Phenomena, Deep Red, Cat 'o nine tails, Opera (all Jap)
Faceless (Jap)
Demons 1 + 2 (Jap)
Phantasm (box)
La porta sul buio (Jap) ("Doorway to Darkness" - rare argento TV episodes, italian language only though)
Lone wolf and cub 1-5
Hills have eyes
Last house on the left
Scream greats: Tom Savini
Argento's world of horror

etc.

wago70
04-21-2003, 07:51 PM
Tell me: how are the Demons 1 and 2 discs? I had the first one, but it was severely speckled when I got it new back in 1991.

My rare treats:
Suspiria and Suspiria 2 Red Box Set (Japan) comes with booklet and some cool postcards)
Phenomena (Japan) - comes with postcard and awesome gatefold
Friday the 13th (Japan) - looks just like a second-run theatrical viewing, but still great to see with all effects in tact (note: American theatrical version is just fine by me, though)
Robinson Crusoe on Mars - great LD of a great film

Paff
04-21-2003, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by wago70
Tell me: how are the Demons 1 and 2 discs? I had the first one, but it was severely speckled when I got it new back in 1991.

Actually, they're great, but I'm talking about the remastered editions that came out in 1998. They were released by The Roan Group, along with Tenebrae and Phenomena. Remastered picture, Dolby Digital sound, unintelligible audio commentary by Lamberto Bava. In other words, they're the versions Anchor Bay ported over to DVD.

sinister
04-22-2003, 02:17 AM
The Jap demons 1 + 2 were great discs. The DVD's are better now, of course, but the Jap Demons was in Dolby Surround whereas the US LD was only mono, which made the Jap version well worth tracking down.

The Jap Tenebrae LD is still the most complete high quality version available - the Roan LD and all the DVD releases have missing sections due to print damage.... it's my favourite movie and i was SO pissed off when i got the Roan LD (and later the Anchor Bay DVD) it wasn't complete compared to the Jap LD i already had. :rolleyes:

r_burgos2003
04-22-2003, 06:37 PM
The Burning (UNCUT) on amazon for $7.95
Silent Night, Deadly Night (going for around $75 on ebay) for $12.99!

jscott
04-22-2003, 09:52 PM
I bought the Japanese LD of Dellamorte Dellamore for $10. This Laserdisc is what keeps me from buying a multi-region DVD player.

TheShape
04-23-2003, 04:08 AM
I got a sealed copy the The Howling Widescreen Collector's Edition.

Does that qualify as rare?

Dave
04-23-2003, 08:47 PM
Howling isn't rare, even less so now due to the fact an SE DVD is on the way, which will have some, if not all, of the LD supplements. Still a great disc, though. I'm holding on to mine either way.

bigdaddyhorse
04-24-2003, 12:27 AM
I'll bet you that Frighteneners boxset against something all the Howling supplement doesn't make it to dvd!:D
I'm definitly holding on to that one, but will have to get the dvd just for the new extras, and not having to change discs.

As for rare finds lately, NONE.
Too hard to find.:D

chrishicks
04-24-2003, 05:51 AM
this is not a find but was a good luck piece. I ordered a Star Wars Trilogy SE set from Columbia House when they came out with my bonus bucks and about 3 weeks after I recieved my set another 1 showed up in the mail. I was never charged for the 2nd set.:banana:

Paff
04-24-2003, 08:20 AM
would THIS be considered a rare Howling LD?:

http://members.aol.com/devilpaff/images/howling.jpg

Paff
04-24-2003, 08:26 AM
Anyway, some of my rare LDs, and price paid if it was acquired cheaply:

Salo (Criterion, $25)
The Matrix
Drunken Master 2 (WS with original Cantonese dialogue and music)
Jaws box set ($5)
Kiki's Delivery Service ($5)
Seven (Criterion)
The Thing ('51)
The Haunting ('63) ($10)
Alien box set ($5)
Evil Dead 2 (red disc) ($10)
The Brood

Sam
04-24-2003, 09:53 PM
These are always interesting to read.

A few of my semi-rarities or cool finds:

American Gothic
April Fool's Day
Austin Powers; The Spy Who Shagged Me (very low pressings)
Beyond Re-Animator
Casual Sex
Critters 2 JAP pressing
Cutting Class
End of Days (very low pressings)
Ghoulies II
Gleaming the Cube
High Strung
Martians Go Home
Mrs. Doubtfire box set
Nightmare Before Christmas box set
Porky's Revenge (2 copies)
Pumpkinhead II
Puppet Master 1-5
Sleepy Hollow (very low pressings)
The Thing signature collection
Things Change

DTS:

Jurassic Park: Lost World
Speed
Sudden Death
The Wedding Singer

I really need more of these DTS Lasers!

Dave
04-25-2003, 12:03 AM
BigDaddyWhore: Did you get my PMs? I messaged you on The Frighteners set if you are interested in it.

maybrick
04-25-2003, 05:30 AM
This isn't exactly rare yet, but it is out of print: FRANKENSTEIN, from Universal's "Classic Monster Collection" DVD. I bought it at Newbury Comics two weeks ago for $22. Not too bad, considering I thought that I would have to at least pay the original retail price to acquire it ($30), not to mention that it's pretty in-demand on ebay.

Paff
04-25-2003, 07:34 AM
Wow...that brings back great memories...I LOVED going to Newbury Comics!

Do they still have the T-Shirts?

chrishicks
04-25-2003, 11:19 PM
The best story I ever heard about a good find was this guy who bought like 50 LDs from this old lady at a yard sale for like 15.00 because those chrome plated records wouldn't play on her turntable.:D
This is one of those fake stories I'm sure but you never know.

bigdaddyhorse
04-26-2003, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Dave
BigDaddyWhore: Did you get my PMs? I messaged you on The Frighteners set if you are interested in it.

My bad Dave, I haven't checked my PM's all week.
I'm for sure interested!
Email me at bigdaddyhorse420@yahoo.com with details!
Thanks!

Dave
04-26-2003, 12:36 AM
Too late, Big Whore. I sold it to Paff for $25.00. Sorry. :eek1:

bigdaddyhorse
04-26-2003, 12:43 AM
Juegottabefuckinkiddinmemang!

That's it, Paff is getting killed wheter I get bananaed or not!
:D :D :D

chrishicks
04-26-2003, 02:49 AM

holy shit, I would have paid more than that, unless of course you are being sarcastic.:D

Paff
04-26-2003, 04:01 AM

Hmm....I think that's a bindable agreement, right?

Check will be in the mail tomorrow....

maybrick
04-26-2003, 05:02 AM
Originally posted by Paff
Wow...that brings back great memories...I LOVED going to Newbury Comics!

Do they still have the T-Shirts?

Yep, they sure do, although they're nothing that you can't find in any old record store, or Hot Topic. Frankly, Newbury Comics has become a bit too trendy for my tastes. You can still find cool stuff there though. I just wish they'd get it together and lower the prices on used DVDs. It's kind of silly to pay the same as you would for a brand new disc at Best Buy (located just down the street).

Which Newbury did you use to go to?

Paff
04-27-2003, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by maybrick
Which Newbury did you use to go to?

Why, the one on Newbury Street naturally....

And the T-Shirts I'm talking about are the Newbury Comics shirts ("A wicked good time").

Rock
04-29-2003, 08:43 PM
Where do you guys even find laserdiscs these days? I NEVER see them around the Bay Area anywhere, ever...or I'm just not looking carefully enough in the right places...?

bigdaddyhorse
04-30-2003, 01:06 AM
You find em here!
Actually you aren't gonna find em at many, if any stores anymore. There's some online sites, check some older threads. I haven't ordered any from the online sites, just won some off ebay and bought some here and there. There is a video liquitor store about a half hour from me that still has tons of lasers, but nothing really good. The good shit you get from collectors, or pay big $ on ebay!

wago70
04-30-2003, 06:28 PM
Here are some places in the Bay Area for you to visit: when in San Francisco: Streetlight Records on Upper Market has used LD's (I have found most of my gems there at cutrate prices and their section never shrinks), Ameoba Records at the end of the Haight (again - you'll probably find something although the LD section isn't as big as it used to be) and in the shopping district downtown (right next to the cable car turnaround - next door to Blondie's Pizza) there's Rasputin Records and their used LD section in on the fourth floor. In Santa Cruz, go to their Streetlight Records store. In Berkeley their Ameoba store has Laserdiscs as well.

Rock
05-02-2003, 04:40 PM
Thanks, wago!

bigdaddyhorse
05-03-2003, 12:16 AM
I don't know if this counts as rare, or if anyone cares, but I just stopped at an out of the way indie Video Hut yesterday that had about 5 lasers still for sale. One was Nightmare On Elm St. 5, the un-cut version. For $5 I grabbed it since the dvd is cut.
Dude working there looked shocked someone was buying a laser, I was about to fuck with him and ask if it would play in my dvd or record player, but didn't bother!:D

Paff
05-07-2003, 09:13 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention, I once picked up The Adventures of Ford Fairlane (widescreen) at a used LD sale for $10

Blade
05-09-2003, 06:57 PM
I would like to know if the Saving Private Ryan laserdisc is considered are? I know it's one of the last ones...

Dave
05-09-2003, 07:26 PM
SPR isn't rare, as there are superior DVDs out there already (especially the DTS one - full bitratealicious) and it had at least a few pressings (mainly because there was no sign of an SPR DVD when the LD came out).

Blade
05-09-2003, 07:33 PM
Thank's for clearing that up for me Dave!

wago70
05-09-2003, 09:02 PM
Rock - one more place: I was on the number 2 bus and there's a video store that is selling all their laserdiscs. It is on Sutter Street and Hyde (actually, it's closer to Leavenworth). I let you know what I find since I'm going there after work tonight.

Paff
05-09-2003, 09:08 PM
The Saving Private Ryan LD isn't TOO rare, but it is a piece of work. The AC-3 sound is fabulous. I've never heard the DTS DVD, but I've been told that the AC-3 LD sounds damn near as good. I do have to say it's one of the best LDs I've ever seen sound/picture-wise. If you're a LD collector, it's definitely a disc to have.

FulciZombieFan
05-12-2003, 08:42 AM
Hello :)

I have the second Japanese LD release of EL TOPO and the first LD release of THE HOLY MOUNTAIN. I also have the second release of THE HOLY MOUNTAIN but the disc is warped.

I also have Argento's SUSPIRIA 2 (Japanese LD of DEEP RED) and this is the most complete English language version in WIDESCREEN. Basically imagine the Anchor Bay release with the Italian only language parts cut out. In my opinion this is the best cut of the film. Though the quality of the LD ain't bad the Anchor Bay version sure blows it away. I'm still happy to have it though.

I also have the big SILVER box set of DAWN OF THE DEAD that came out in Japan long before any of the remastered USA LD versions came out. It has the "Director's cut" and Argento's cut of the film across 4 LaserDiscs each come in gatefold sleeves inside the silver box. Came with a booklet that I have signed by Tom Savini and George Romero.

Probably the only other extremely rare LD I have is the Japanese release of Lugi Cozzi's documentary on Argento entitled MASTER OF HORROR which was a sequel of sorts to Michele Soavi's DARIO ARGENTO'S WORLD OF HORROR (which I also have on Japanese LD).

I have the Criterion LD of SALO or THE 120 DAYS OF SODOM but it is stuck in a LaserDisc player that broke on me about a year ago and I haven't bothered to get it fixed. One of these days I'll either get it fixed or just pull the sucker apart to get the LD out.

Oh yeah I still have the USA LD of Fulci's A CAT IN THE BRAIN ... glad I kept onto that. Just watched it a couple weeks ago too after recording it to a Panasonic stand alone DVD recorder :)

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

P.S.
I have the Japanese LD of THE EVIL DEAD and despite the burned in Japanese subtitles I still think this looks better than any other version I've seen including the Elite LD and all of the DVD releases (including the BOOK OF THE DEAD version).
Oh yeah and the Elite LaserDisc of TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE is better than the US Pioneer DVD release.

Blade
05-13-2003, 10:01 PM
Hey,

Is anyone familiar with "A Nightmare On Elm Street 4: The Dream Master - Elm Street: The Making of a Nightmare"? It''s supposed to be a making of NOE 4 on laserdisc. Is this available on dvd or considered special or rare?

Agent Z
05-13-2003, 10:59 PM
Is anyone familiar with "A Nightmare On Elm Street 4: The Dream Master - Elm Street: The Making of a Nightmare"? It''s supposed to be a making of NOE 4 on laserdisc. Is this available on dvd or considered special or rare?

I used to have the laserdisc up until about a year ago......then I sold it in a bundle with three other NOES films. It was a fairly short (20-30 minutes) one-sided CAV disc. The program itself was a pretty interesting behind-the-scenes/promo for THE DREAM MASTER. The special mainly went into the special effects/make-up work used throughout the film....including the finale. So, for those who haven't seen the film yet, it would probably be better to watch the "The Making of a Nightmare" AFTER the main attraction.

DVD Connoisseur
05-14-2003, 10:56 PM
I purchased all my LDs (except 2) back in the '90s when they were new.

A friend gave me a sealed copy of Zombie a few years ago, which was a wonderful surprise.

I recently picked up the Doctor Who tale Day of the Daleks on LD as it's not available on DVD (yet).

Not sure if any of my LDs are rare. I have various box sets and the Criterion Blade Runner double-disc. Had to swap 3 sets before I found one that was okay, though!
:(

FulciZombieFan
05-15-2003, 08:29 PM
Hello :)

I have the CLV LaserDisc of the Criterion release of BLADE RUNNER and it is my favorite version of the film. Although I find it "interesting" to watch I really am not a fan of the so-called director's cut. I really wish someone would release a DVD of the version Criterion released on LaserDisc.

I actually know a guy who has worked for Criterion for a couple or so years now and he said they no longer own the copyright and said they can't ever do a DVD of it since Warner now owns it.

He told me it was the best all time selling LaserDisc for Criterion.

DVD Connoisseur
05-15-2003, 09:33 PM
Hi, FulciZombieFan.
There's a 4 disc (!:eek: ) collector's set of Blade Runner in the works. It will have the original US theater version, the European (Criterion) version and the Director's Cut plus a new version (I believe). I haven't read about this movie in ages but I'm sure this is still in development and that Ridley Scott was heavily involved. I'm waiting patiently.

Channel 4 showed an excellent documentry by Mark Kermode a few years back. It contained cut scenes like the Holden hospital scene complete with sound...it was a revelation.

I'd guess that the documentary will be part of the package (like Kermode's Fear of God documentary on the Exorcist DVD).

Aceman
05-19-2003, 07:57 PM
I just got "Scarecrows" on LD :banana:
Is this ever going to come out on DVD in Region 1???
least I can dump my old VHS copy:D

"Man....you come right out of a comic book!"

FulciZombieFan
05-20-2003, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by DVD Connoisseur
Hi, FulciZombieFan.
There's a 4 disc (!:eek: ) collector's set of Blade Runner in the works. It will have the original US theater version, the European (Criterion) version and the Director's Cut plus a new version (I believe). I haven't read about this movie in ages but I'm sure this is still in development and that Ridley Scott was heavily involved. I'm waiting patiently.

Channel 4 showed an excellent documentry by Mark Kermode a few years back. It contained cut scenes like the Holden hospital scene complete with sound...it was a revelation.

I'd guess that the documentary will be part of the package (like Kermode's Fear of God documentary on the Exorcist DVD).

SUPER Great news!
I hope this does happen.
I remember reading a HUGE article in VIDEO WATCHDOG years ago that compared all the difference versions etc. and they did mention that hospital scene you mentioned. I enjoyed the FEAR OF GOD documentary so it would be nice to see the one done on BLADE RUNNER.

Like I said hope this happens :)

X-human
05-23-2003, 06:41 AM
I believe there is also a workprint they're thinking about tossing on the SE Blade Runner release as well.

I saw the DC a week ago and it was kick ass, a really great film but I've held off on buying the DVD for this very release.

mcchrist
05-23-2003, 01:09 PM
4 disc set of Blade Runner? That's the first I've heard of this, jeez! that's a must have for sure. Now the waiting starts...