PDA

View Full Version : Flash Gordon Serials

Shannafey
04-24-2003, 05:19 AM
OK, it's not horror, but classic, nonetheless. I grew up watching the Flash Gordon serials. I think that's what got me started loving scifi, and then other genre (horror, fantasy, anime, etc.) related stuff. PBS would show them nightly in Serial format when I was young, and I couldn't get enough of them. The reason I bring this up is, I bought a cheapo 2 dvd set of Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe, the third and last serial. Now, I'm hooked again, if for nothing but nostalgia. I was wondering about the other 2 serials... Flash Gordon and Flash Gordon's Trip to Mars. Any good dvds of these out there? The transfer on the one I purchased was just fine and I wish this company would put out the others, especially at $9 a set. Are there any other fans on this forum?

Hernster
04-24-2003, 10:57 AM
My Dad has these on DVD, I've watched a couple of them, I'm no big fan of FG, but I did notice the quality of the prints were very good. They didn't necessarily looked cleaned up from what I can remember but from the age of the negative, it was bloody good anyway.

I'd check them out now for you, except I can't get access to them at the moment. I'll post back later today when I can check them out properly for you. I know he's got at least 2 of the 3 serial's, not sure if he has all 3.

mutleyhyde
04-24-2003, 11:36 AM
Shan, you might want to try Roan's "Undersea Kingdom". Not FG, but Crash Corrigan. While it may not have as much of the sci/fi fantasy going for it, I think it has enough to keep the FG fan entertained. I thought it was pretty cool, and Roan's disc is top notch, in video and sound. Damn, that reminds me - I think I still need to get Radar Men from the Moon.

I just checked the Troma Mall, and they've got their Roan's on sale again, for 5.99 a piece, so it might be the right time to get it. They totally suck on shipping, but a $6 a pop, it ain't bad.

Check it out. (http://store.troma.com/index.php?SCREEN=department&sid=M8PEnauOmWhD7Ojc&store=default&department=82)

A word of warning though... they used to suck hard in actually getting people their shit. It seems they're doing better now (I had two successive orders go without a hitch, and I got my stuff in record time) but still, the past will never be forgotten by many, me included.

Shannafey
04-24-2003, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the recs Mutley, I will put them on my evergrowing want list!! I don't even have time to watch all the ones I own, let alone ones I want to buy!!