PDA

View Full Version : Lucio Fulci's Zombie

Chainsaw
01-21-2001, 08:52 PM
Is Anchor Bay planning to release Lucio Fulci's Zombie on DVD? I have seen a disc floating around on eBay, but I have heard that the transfer is very poor and that the commenstary is sleep inducing. Not only that, but I've seen the thing go for nearly $70! That's just ridiculous. I hope that Anchor Bay is planning on some sort of re-release, because this has always been one of my favorite zombie films. As much fun as Dawn of the Dead was, I never much cared for the face paint look of Romero's zombies. The rotting, maggot-ridden creatures of Lucio Fulci's were always my cup of tea!

Keep the Limbs a Flyin',
Chainsaw

napalm68
01-21-2001, 09:05 PM
I think you can still pick it up from some of those Canadian online stores (A&B). I hear it is getting redone by AB, which is why it is not available. That seems to be the only reason AB pulls a title.

------------------
Oh no, mother! Blood!

Mark Relford
01-21-2001, 09:53 PM
I think Anchor Bay is searching for a better print. I never got it due to the reviews on the poor transfer. Boy, do I regret it now, cause it's going to be a looonnnggg wait!

------------------
"Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"

"They're back from the grave and ready to party!"

Der Todesking
01-22-2001, 12:47 AM
Trust me, I've rented the version that's out now, and in my opinion, it's not worth owning. The print seems really faded, and the grain in some scenes is just completely unacceptable. I mean, normally I can put up with mediocre transfers if the film is good, but even though this is one of my favorites, I still passed up the chance to buy it twice for a very reasonable price. Best to wait.

Jason25
01-22-2001, 07:12 AM
I honestly don't think the quality is that unacceptable. I've seen far worse.

Der Todesking
01-22-2001, 08:33 AM
True, but a movie like that deserves a much better transfer job. Something more the caliber of AB's The Beyond. I thought they did a fairly impressive job on that. I mean, I'm not saying that the disc is un-watchable, not by a longshot. The level of detail and sharpness are still quite high, and better than the VHS versions I've seen. I guess the one thing that bugged me most about it was that it seemed like I was watching the entire film from behind a thick sheet of dusty glass or a mesh screen of some sort. Whether this was just the print that was used, or more likely digital artifacts in the transfer itself, it did manage to distract me on several occasions, way more than any sort of grain or colour problems. Just not what I'd hope from the medium. =)

Jason25
01-22-2001, 02:23 PM
I agree with you. I know Anchor Bay could have probably found a better print. I'm guessing that since this was an earlier release, that accounts for the quality of the dvd. I think if it had been a more recent release, we would have a very different opinion about this disc.

Reefer
01-22-2001, 04:03 PM
I have this DVD (my favourite Fulci film) and I have to say, I think it is of very acceptable quality. Mind you, I had been used to a bootleg video for years, so....

The sound is pretty good, remastered in 5.1 but the picture is not anamorphic, which is a bit of a letdown.

I would rather own this than no version at all.

I have also heard (rumour?) that Anchor Bay will be releasing a fully blown special edition tin sometime over the next couple of years.

It's a long wait ahead......

DVD Connoisseur
01-22-2001, 06:52 PM
Fact - Anchor Bay will be re-releasing Zombie. The news broke some time ago on an on-line forum with AB as guest. The new version will be much improved but for obvious reasons, no details have been released as yet. As far as I can see, no tentative release date has been given but I think it's a safe bet to say "sometime in 2002". In the meantime, there will be many more treasures released from AB...

Paff
01-22-2001, 07:08 PM
This bears repeating:

In 1997 and 1998, The Roan Group of North Carolina released a bunch of horror films on Laserdisc (Demons, Phenomena, Zombie, etc). The Anchor Bay versions of these films are NOT Anchor Bay versions at all, but simply direct ports of the laserdisc. That explains the non-anamorphic part at least. But AB definitely did not remaster the film element like they did with The Beyond, Deep Red, or Repo Man.

This is why early Anchor Bay releases are not on par with their current ones, so never automatically assume Anchor Bay = A-1 Transfer

Zombie Keeper
01-22-2001, 08:10 PM
Well put reefer! I have it on both VHS and DVD and the DVD version is so much better.

But I guess people will complain regardless how good or bad a movie ends up being once transfered to the DVD format.

Originally posted by Reefer:
I have this DVD (my favourite Fulci film) and I have to say, I think it is of very acceptable quality. Mind you, I had been used to a bootleg video for years, so....

The sound is pretty good, remastered in 5.1 but the picture is not anamorphic, which is a bit of a letdown.

I would rather own this than no version at all.

I have also heard (rumour?) that Anchor Bay will be releasing a fully blown special edition tin sometime over the next couple of years.

It's a long wait ahead......

------------------
Zombie Keeper
ZombieKeeper.com (http://www.zombiekeeper.com/)
Horror Movie Reviews, Chat, Message Boards, and more...

evileye
01-23-2001, 02:26 PM
The only drawback on the import release is the mono sound (yeah I know it was shot that way, but the 5.1 mix was nice).

Now that the Dragon release has proved there is a better print available, I think Anchor Bay should jump on this existing print and add their extras (and sound).

I think waiting for another year and a half is a bit much.

AceRimRat
01-23-2001, 07:52 PM
I rented the original AB "Zombie," and I thought the quality was mediocre - but good enough considering the age of the film and the (at the time) newness of the format.

It's certainly no "Bay of Blood."

I can understand why they'd want to redo it, though - I'm sure the print could be cleaned up and some of the compression artifacts eliminated, etc.

(I didn't especially care for the movie, but might give it another shot when the new SE comes out.)