PDA

View Full Version : Hammer House Of Horror Box Set

Zodiac-Mindwarp
04-25-2003, 10:51 PM
Someone posted recently about picking up this box set, and it inspired me to pick it up on my recent online order.

I have watched a little over half of the Hammer House Of Horror Box Set, and so far it is damn good.

Most of the episodes have been pretty good and solid, but the "Silent Scream" episode with Peter Cushing and Brian Cox was great. I am now in the middle of "Children Of The Full Moon", which is also very good so far.

One more thing to note about this set, these seem to be the uncut British versions with all of the female nudity that was not in the American version that they played on TV here years ago.

Anyone else pick this up yet? If so, let me know if you like it as much as me.

Midnight Buddha
04-26-2003, 02:17 AM
I`d love to have a look at this box set, i remember being glued to my tv every week when the series was first aired in the uk back in 1980.

hell ya!
04-26-2003, 04:03 AM
I will put this on my next order for sure. Glad your enjoying the set and i'm pretty sure i will too. :)

Wez4555
04-26-2003, 05:43 AM
i have yet to touch a hammer movie/show. im bored and wanting to try something new. what would yall suggest i start with?

mutleyhyde
04-26-2003, 06:16 AM
I liked the show. It was interesting that they were all (if memory serves) contemporary stories though, considering Hammer's history.

Wez, I'd say check out the Holy Trinity; Horror of Dracula, Curse of Frankenstein, and The Mummy.

Other favorites off the top of my head...
Rasputin, the Mad Monk
Frankenstein Created Woman
The Abominable Snowman...

but then, there are so many. :D

ZM, gonna move this to Classic. While many may not think of the show as a classic, it is a Hammer production, and any Hammer belongs in Classic. ;)

Numania
04-26-2003, 08:18 AM
I got this box set for Christmas in 2001. I've only watched about half of the episodes because I think it is a crappy series. I'll plug through, but it doesn't seem worth it. A few episodes were good while the others were terrible and horribly predictable. The box looks nice in my dvd rack at least.

dwatts
04-26-2003, 11:07 AM
I think I was the one that who recently bought it. I'm glad you got it - and that you like it too! Personally, I find the whole thing very compelling. If you are a hammer fan - you'll just love what's on offer. If you're not a fan of hammer movies, then maybe give it a miss. Of course some stories work better than others - that is inevitable, but there isn't one that wasn't worth my time, and overall, this is a stellar set.

hell ya!
04-26-2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by mutleyhyde

Wez, I'd say check out the Holy Trinity; Horror of Dracula, Curse of Frankenstein, and The Mummy.

I would lke to second that. i just recentaly got into Hammer and thoes were the first i started with and i enjoyed them all. Great movies:banana:

Wez4555
04-26-2003, 05:04 PM
thanks ya'll! ill look into it! :D

Zodiac-Mindwarp
04-26-2003, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by dwatts
I think I was the one that who recently bought it. I'm glad you got it - and that you like it too! Personally, I find the whole thing very compelling. If you are a hammer fan - you'll just love what's on offer. If you're not a fan of hammer movies, then maybe give it a miss. Of course some stories work better than others - that is inevitable, but there isn't one that wasn't worth my time, and overall, this is a stellar set.

Many Thanks for bringing up this series in the first place Dwatts!

I had been on the fence about weather or not to pick this up, and it is now turning out to be a wonderful choice. I should have known since I had liked them when they played on American TV in the early 80's that I would still like them, however some things do not age well. These on the other hand are still very good.

I have to admit that not every episode is great, but I have liked all of them so far, and I am half way thru episode 12 of 13. I am sure that I will finish them tonight when I get home from work, and my only regret is that there is not more than 13 episodes in the series! ;)

Zodiac-Mindwarp
04-26-2003, 07:25 PM
Hey Mutleyhyde,

Please feel free to move this to Classics.

I agree the stuff from Hammer is Classic! :D

dwatts
04-26-2003, 08:59 PM
Actually, I think there was a second series. It was made in the US though, and apparently was quite hideous. It would take something quite extraordinary for me to buy it.

And don't forget what I said about the "Tales of the Unexpected" box. Seeing Hammer made me all nostalgic and I went ahead and bought the Tales box - it stinks. Not a single thing good to say about it - not one.

Zodiac-Mindwarp
04-26-2003, 11:37 PM
Actually, I think there was a second series. It was made in the US though, and apparently was quite hideous. It would take something quite extraordinary for me to buy it.

And don't forget what I said about the "Tales of the Unexpected" box. Seeing Hammer made me all nostalgic and I went ahead and bought the Tales box - it stinks. Not a single thing good to say about it - not one.

I do not remember the second series at all, but if it is that bad I am pretty glad that I don't.

Thanks for the reminder on the "Tales Of The Unexpected", I had forgotten that you said that you did not like that, but you were glad that you had bought the Hammer box set. I will put Tales on my not to bother with list. :lol:

Rock
04-29-2003, 04:09 PM
I'm right about where you're at Zodiac, just finished with "Silent Scream" myself...yes, all of the episodes are the original uncut versions and, thankfully, no Elvira piping in with her big tits and raspberries every 5 minutes...overall, not bad for a TV series, but pales in comparison to the original studio's movies...I understand the 2nd series is something like "Hammer House of Mystery & Suspense" but haven't seen it available anywhere yet...

agentc
06-12-2003, 07:03 PM
Got this one through the post today. Really looking forward to watching these again, I can only remember bits of them. I know I was scared to death after the episde entitled The House that Dripped Blood, after my babysitter let me stay up and watch it.

Zodiac-Mindwarp
06-12-2003, 07:50 PM
It's a great series AgentC. I hope that you like it as much as I did. :)

hell ya!
06-13-2003, 02:11 AM
My copy should ship real soon so i can't wait to get it.:banana: :banana:

agentc
06-14-2003, 08:47 PM
I'm just 3 episodes into it but it's held up quite well. Looks good for tv series made in the UK. I loved the Silent Scream, makes you really miss Peter Cushing, what a great actor. Good to see Chris Lee having a resurgence tho.

Zodiac-Mindwarp
06-14-2003, 09:01 PM
I am glad that you are enjoying it AgentC. I agree that it has held up very well.

The Silent Scream episode with Peter Cushing and Brian Cox is one of my favorites from the series.

Actually I was a little surprised at how consistent the series was. None of them were terrible, which often happens when a series is in it's first season.

And Hell Ya! I hope that your set arrives soon! :D

hell ya!
06-14-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Zodiac-Mindwarp

And Hell Ya! I hope that your set arrives soon! :D

You and me both. :cool:

CJ
06-16-2003, 02:30 AM
Actually, I think there was a second series.

Yes, it was entitled Hammer House of Mystery and Suspense and was fairly weak overall. Though there was one good story about a family who find temselves walled into their own house and it just gets hotter and hotter...

And Hammer also, if I remember correctly, helped produce a TV series in the late 60's/early 70's called Journey into the Unknown.

Zodiac-Mindwarp
06-16-2003, 02:53 AM
Thanks for the new info CJ.

Does anyone have any idea if Hammer House Of Mystery and Suspense is out on DVD?

After the great experience I had with the Hammer House Of Horror box set I would be tempted to check it out if the price is right.

Thanks is advance to anyone to can post any info. :)

CJ
06-16-2003, 03:09 AM
Here's a link to an episode guide (Child's Play is the episode I mentioned above) for the Hammer House of Mystery and Suspense series. To my knowledge it hasn't been released on DVD yet.

http://epguides.com/HammerHouseofMysteryandSuspense/

It's also useful to note that it was aired in the USA under the title of Fox Mystery Theater.

Zodiac-Mindwarp
06-16-2003, 03:37 AM
I thank you CJ.

After all of the fun that I had with the last Hammer box set, it is a real pity that this one is not available. Hopefully we will not have to wait forever for this to be released.

Reverenddave
06-16-2003, 02:32 PM
Just to throw in a little Hammer TV Shows trivia, Tales Of Frankenstein (1958) was a TV Pilot for a show that was never picked up.

CJ
06-16-2003, 08:53 PM
And that Pilot Episode is included in its entirety on a DVD of the same name (Tales of Frankenstein) from Image.

I hadn't actually realised this was a Hammer production until Reverenddave pointed it out!