PDA

View Full Version : Eaten Alive (1980) review

RyanPC
04-26-2003, 09:44 AM
Here is my review for Shriek Show's DVD of Eaten Alive:

Well, we all know Cannibal Ferox... one of the most famous (not to mention notorious) cannibal films of all time. I don't know much about Lenzi's other cannibal film, Eaten Alive, except that it was supposedly made before Cannibal Ferox. After receiving the disc in a trade, I felt compelled to write a review on it. I can see a lot of similarities between this film and Cannibal Ferox, but that doesn't mean it is just as good. Let's find out how the film and DVD both measure up:

The Plot

A woman named Sheila (Janet Agren) travels to the jungle to locate her missing sister Diana, along with the help of a man named Mark (Robert Kerman). They find their way to a village full of cannibals ruled by demented leader Jonas (the always wonderful Ivan Rassimov). It turns out that Diana has been put under a spell by Jonas and brainwashed into staying with the community, which is fanatical about their religion (not sure what it is exactly). They find Diana and plan to escape with the help of a native girl (the very beautiful Me Me Lai), but don't make it very far since the cannibals seem to be everywhere. Can they make it out of the jungle alive? Or will the cannibals eat them alive?

My attitude towards this film isn't going to be very clear. I really don't know what to think... it wasn't the worst film I have seen, nor was it the best. Eaten Alive is boring at times, but picks up towards the end, which ultimately makes up for it. Probably the worst thing about this movie is the outrageous amount of animal violence... it seems as if there is a brutal fight between two animals (one of them is usually a snake) in every scene! I cannot stand animal violence, but can still enjoy films which contain them by simply blocking them from my mind. And yes, it is all real. There is definitely more than in Cannibal Ferox, which seems slightly tame compared to this film when it comes to animal deaths. Actually, there is probably more animal deaths than human deaths, which is definitely not a good thing in my book. Whoever finds those horrible scenes as "good entertainment" must be a very sick person indeed.

But don't get me wrong, I did enjoy it to a degree. It was nice seeing some familiar faces (i.e. Robert Kerman and Meg Flemming from Cannibal Ferox) and others from different Euro horror films (i.e. Janet Agren, Mel Ferrer, Ivan Rassimov, Me Me Lai). I also recognized some locations as being the same as in Cannibal Ferox (i.e. the police station in the beginning of the film). There was also some new music, but most of it was taken from Cannibal Ferox... either that or Cannibal Ferox took it form this film. Not such a bad thing, either, as the soundtrack to Cannibal Ferox is one of my favorites.

I recommend this film to diehard cannibal film enthusiasts (like myself), but you will need a real strong stomach to take in all of those real animal deaths (trust me, they are much worse than what you will see in Cannibal Ferox).

Rating: 3/5

Video Quality

Shriek Show has done a great job in the past with some other obscure titles, and they have done the same here, in anamorphic widescreen. Although a bit grainy, the picture was very good and the colors were somewhat vivid and strong. There were some lines and artifacts that were sometimes a distraction, but for the most part this is a very good transfer.

Rating: 3.5/5

Sound Quality

Sound was nice and helped the music a lot. There was no distortion to be heard, and is overall very good.

Rating: 4/5

Special Features

While not as packed as some other DVDs, this still has some nice extras. First off are the interviews with director Umberto Lenzi, star Robert Kerman, and star Ivan Rassimov. Ivan seemed like a very intelligent man and it is sad to watch the interview because he died recently. Very good interviews, and they give out a lot of useful information. There is also some trailers for other Shriek Show titles, plus the original theatrical trailer for this film. Good extras for a great disc.

Rating: 3.5/5

Overall

Very good disc, although I am kind of in-between when talking about the movie. It isn't the best cannibal film, but it is good enough for me to keep in my collection. Great buy, IMHO!

Overall Rating: 3.5/5

Andrew
04-26-2003, 05:09 PM
Eh it's a decent movie. The disc is alright though.

Zodiac-Mindwarp
04-26-2003, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the good review Ryan!

I am always interested in a new cannibal movie that I have not seen before, but with the extent of animal violence that your review suggests I question weather or not I should pick it up.

Maybe some more people will chime in with postive views on the movie, until then I am kind of on the fence. :(

RyanPC
04-26-2003, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the comments!

Yeah, it is kind of in the middle for me... while it is a good film (and trust me, no more than just 'good'), the animal violence is quite disgusting. But if you like cannibal films, you might enjoy this. It does remind you quite a bit of Cannibal Ferox, even though the plot is somewhat different. I even read that this film has scenes from other cannibal films as well, even though if someone hadn't told me I might never have noticed.

RyanPC
04-26-2003, 10:56 PM
I might like it better once I give it a second viewing, though! :)

DefJeff
04-27-2003, 12:02 AM
Haha, I must be a "very sick person" then :p

I LOVE Janet Agren and Me Me Lai, so they made the movie very entertaining to begin with, plus the kills in this were real cool, like that black haird chick, getting her tit cut off and eaten, and that ear being cut off

I really enjoyed it alot, but its definitally not on par with the best cannibal flicks.

Andrew
04-27-2003, 05:22 AM
Agreed, Agren is very hot - and I love that death scene! IMO the animal violence isn't that bad at all. The snake/monkey one was taken from MOUNTAIN OF THE CANNIBAL GOD, and is a bit unnerving, but other than that I didn't really notice them being that bad. Certainly not as bad as JUNGLE HOLOCAUST or CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST - but then again neither of those really bothered me either. Oh well, maybe I'm a sick fuck.

hell ya!
04-27-2003, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by AndrewBBD
IMO the animal violence isn't that bad at all. The snake/monkey one was taken from MOUNTAIN OF THE CANNIBAL GOD, and is a bit unnerving, but other than that I didn't really notice them being that bad. Certainly not as bad as JUNGLE HOLOCAUST or CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST - but then again neither of those really bothered me either. Oh well, maybe I'm a sick fuck.

I agree, i really didn't find the animal deaths in this movie too be that bad. I honestly don't remember too many of them. :nervous: I guess that's a good thing. The only ones that bothered me were the Aligator in JH and i guess the snake/monkey in MOTCG. :nervous:

RyanPC
04-27-2003, 08:24 AM
There was also a sick alligator one in Eaten Alive.

:nervous:

Latency
04-28-2003, 01:44 AM
I have never seen a Cannibal movie EVER. What is the best on out there that I should spend my hard earned on ? I hear "Make Them Die Slowly" is prety good. All these damn Cannibal lficks here in town are so bloody expensive! We are talking $52.99 CND for "Make them Die Slowly" @ HMV.

Andrew
04-28-2003, 02:55 AM
It's called the internet, man.

Ryan - I rewatched this last night and I guess it did have a bit more animal violence than I remember, but my statement still holds. The alligator one in JH is much worse.

hell ya!
04-28-2003, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by Latency
I have never seen a Cannibal movie EVER. What is the best on out there that I should spend my hard earned on ? I hear "Make Them Die Slowly" is prety good. All these damn Cannibal lficks here in town are so bloody expensive! We are talking $52.99 CND for "Make them Die Slowly" @ HMV.

That's about the price your gonna have to pay becuase in Canada eveything is sooo much. I got my CF disc off of Amazon.com and i think it is cheaper than $52 even after the conversion. Jungle Holocaust and Cannibal Ferox are both great, my first was JH and i really enjoyed it.

Andrew
04-28-2003, 03:37 AM
JUNGLE was my first as well, and I'd say it's a good starting point. I'm still waiting for FEROX.....argh.....it was out of stock so I have to cancel it and get it somewhere else.

RyanPC
04-28-2003, 04:27 AM
Cannibal Ferox (aka Make Them Die Slowly) was my first cannibal film and is still my favorite. I also love Cannibal Apocalypse, and while it isn't a traditional cannibal film, it is still excellent. I also enjoyed Jungle Holocaust, but not nearly as much as either of the first two I mentioned.

I've yet to see Cannibal Holocaust, which is high on my list of must-see movies.

In other words, buy Grindhouse's Cannibal Ferox and Image's Cannibal Apocalypse... both are packed with features and you definitely won't be disappointed if you have an interest in these films and if you know what to expect! :D

RyanPC
04-28-2003, 04:28 AM
And if you like Cannibal Ferox, just go ahead and buy Eaten Alive while you're at it! :D

zombi3
04-29-2003, 04:29 AM
All of the animal violence in Eaten Alive, and a good deal of the human violence, was recycled from other movies including Jungle Holocaust, Man From Deep River, and Mountain of the Cannibal God. I found Eaten Alive to be quite entertaining. The gore scenes are cool and it's got some great dialogue. "Their idea of lunch is fresh hot entrails soaked in blood, but we keep their proteins limited." Classic!:evil:

RyanPC
04-29-2003, 06:18 AM
:lol: