PDA

View Full Version : Junk DVDs

suspiria
04-29-2003, 01:37 AM
Junk is now out in R1 and an R2 release also exists.. what i want to know is which is the better one to get? I am in a PAL based country so NTSC and PAL are cool and PAL is obviously preferred but how do the two discs compare in regards to transfer and extras?

poorlogic
04-29-2003, 05:04 AM
I have the PAL disc, but it seems to "pause" every 5 seconds - this could be due to the fact that I'm using a DVD player that converts PAL to NTSC, but I've tried it on 2 different players with the same results, either way, this movie is way overated and not worth more than $9.99.

mcchrist
04-29-2003, 06:12 AM
I'm not looking forward to Junk, this just doesn't look like it will do anything for me.

Deaddevilman
04-29-2003, 11:23 AM
I like it. Sort of a hard boiled zombie flick. It definately kept my interest better then Versus did.

mcchrist
04-29-2003, 11:29 AM
Well, I see Junk lumped with Wild Zero and Versus all the time... And I've seen Wild Zero, and it is not very rewatchable at all... And top the fact off that I've heard Junk is better than Wild Zero, Junk is better than Versus, Versus better than Junk, Wild Zero better than Versus, Wild Zero is better than Junk... etc. I'm not buying it. I'll watch Bio-Zombie again and forget about it.

Deaddevilman
04-29-2003, 11:34 AM
It's definately better then Bio-Zombie. The main zombie has a great rack as well.

Shannafey
04-29-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by mcchrist
Well, I see Junk lumped with Wild Zero and Versus all the time... And I've seen Wild Zero, and it is not very rewatchable at all... And top the fact off that I've heard Junk is better than Wild Zero, Junk is better than Versus, Versus better than Junk, Wild Zero better than Versus, Wild Zero is better than Junk... etc. I'm not buying it. I'll watch Bio-Zombie again and forget about it.

I have seen them all, and Junk is by far the most serious of them all, and harkens back to the Euro zombie films, unlike the rest that are more comedic. It has some typically "Asian elements" that I don't think translate well, but all in all, a good zombie film. I don't love any of the asian zombie films. They are all fun, but none of them make me compelled to re-watch them like the Romero films or Zombie, The Beyond or any other Eurohorror.

DefJeff
04-29-2003, 07:06 PM
well my Junk DVD (Unearthed Films version) shipped from dvdempire ... ill throw up a review for it when i get it and have checked it out

mcchrist
04-29-2003, 08:10 PM
Thanks bro.

suspiria
04-30-2003, 01:40 AM
i cannot understand people that dislike Versus.. if you're a samurai video game fan you'll savour every second of it.. the visual style and whole package is perfect IMHO...

anyways.. i haven't seen Junk but i am a big eurohorror fan so Junk seems to be good in that area.. i'd just like to know which is better.. the R2 or R1 release...

mcchrist
04-30-2003, 03:04 AM
I still haven't seen Versus, but all the hype going around about alot of these Japanese films lately (some live up to it, some don't) and after Audition and Ringu (both of which I don't care to see again), the talk alone about Versus is enough to make me tread carefully.

suspiria
04-30-2003, 03:07 AM
Audition and Ring are awesome but they rely on tension and dread so many don't get their "entertainment" fix from them whereas films like Versus, The Eye, Battle Royale and the like are much different.. non-stop carnage from beginning to end...

taxidriver6
04-30-2003, 03:38 AM
I was in Wherehouse Records (one of the one's still open) and lo and behold there was Junk. I was actually looking for Two Evil Eyes and The Crazies and of course they didn't have either.

This was a nice surprise. I have a dub that's unwatchable, so this will be my true first time watching Junk. Popped it in and video quality is nice. Only problem is the picture isn't anamorphic! Why oh why couldn't this be anamorphic? When will companies learn to do it right the first time?????

suspiria
04-30-2003, 03:40 AM
and what did ya think of Junk?

Gnaghi
05-02-2003, 04:27 AM
Why oh why couldn't this be anamorphic? When will companies learn to do it right the first time?????

umm okay buddy. well hmm... the original master tapes sent to us were non anamorphic, junk was never released theatrically for us to obtain a print, we were sent the original cut negatives, which to actually use would have been a pain in the ass, let alone the cost of that. i wish these anamorphic heads would stop complaining.

taxidriver6
05-02-2003, 06:22 AM
Gnaghi,

Well, as a consumer, I think it's my right to question what I questioned - especially in the day and age of companies releasing multiple versions of discs. I'm a little tired of double-dipping, you see. Not saying that's your intent, but I do have a WS tv (I guess this makes me a anamorphic head) and more people are getting them each day. You are aware there's a Reg 2 version that is listed as anamorphic and uncut? That was my point. I may be a little nieve, but if this company came across it, why couldn't you? I think that's a fair question.

Gnaghi
05-02-2003, 06:37 AM
well because of this. the company that released that version just took the original letterboxed version and cropped it to be anamorphic. doing this results in lowering resolution, which is against the idea of anamorphic.

suspiria
05-02-2003, 06:40 AM
yup.. meaning the R1 offers better res and detail over the R2.. i'm still waiting to hear comparison reports before committing to R1 or R2...

Serega_M
05-02-2003, 07:46 AM
To Gnaghi:

Hi, man.

In fact this situation with Junk is a little bit sad. I can explain why. I was always (and still is) supporter of your work - Guinea Pig series of course (as it is only films, except Junk, so far that you've released) but with the case of Junk - I will NOT buy it - cause of lack of anamorhpic enhancement. Explanations? Here they are. Do not think that people who refuse to buy the film without anamorphic enhancement are morons or idiots - nope - we are not :) Just when you have widescreen television (heck - even without it!) you'd like to see as much resolution on your set as possible - which in the case of DVD possible ONLY with anamorphically enhanced discs. The reason is simple - nonanamorphical discs will look like total crap in the future projected on the big screens while anamorphic discs will age much more nicely in that regard and you will be able to see them without much pain to the eyes even 10 years from now - while non-anamorphic discs you will not - not so good resolution! So - for me it is A RULE since my first disc (which I bought more than 3 years ago, btw) - to buy ONLY anamorphic discs cause of the reasons I have mentioned above. And on the other side - it is really ridicculous to publish non-anamorphic "letterboxed" disc in the middle of 2003 (!!!). Now back to the case of Junk - crappy masters you say? Then why to publish the work AT ALL if you can not secure the proper elements from which you can struck a new print from which to do an anamorphic transfer? Too costly - you say - but isn't it "quality before quantity" that matters? Why Synapse can do that (make the PERFECT discs of really obscure titles) and Unearthed can not? Money? Then why to bother at all and publish "budget" discs while there are a lot of such crap anyway? I always thought that you are fans of your work - and a fan will do ANYTHING to make a perfect product - or at least close to be perfect - which is NOT the case with Junk.

Actually - the border line of my speech (khe, khe :)) is that: so sad that I won't be able to buy Junk cause of the lack of anamorphical enhancement - I was REALLY looking to this film :( Ohh well... But also - with more than 150 (!!!) unwatched DVDs sitting on my shelf - I can wait another couple of years for a new edition which WILL be anamorphic - and I think that such new edition will happen even earlier as there is obvious demand for such films and this movie and some comapny will be able to restore/do a new print or do whatever else to present this movie nicely on DVD.

Gnaghi - I am looking forward to your other releases - I know they will be OAR and all the stuff - but pls know (and constantly keep in mind ;)) that some, or maybe even A LOT of people won't buy lackluster product and if the movie is at least 1.66:1 - it SHOULD be anamorphically enhanced...

Phew... Please don't throw the rocks to me as I really like of what you are doing cause you have the guts - but in the case of technical specs and commitment to release the Junk - I think your attitude is not top notch ;)

Gnaghi
05-02-2003, 08:32 AM
you cannot compare Synapse with us. we are still starting out in the dvd business. Don May started out during laserdiscs with Image. he has more connections, knows alot more about film and probably has all the money to do it in(same with Bill Lustig and Blue Underground, who came from Anchor Bay). Synapses original releases were non-anamorphic, anchor bays and just about every other company. alot of times they get lucky due to the masters being anamorphic already, but to actually pay to get things done in anamorphic can be very costly. we have not made any profit yet. the guinea pigs are a hard sell and none of us are rich.

We contacted the owners of JUNK and asked for a print of the film so we could do a fresh telecine master. Now we found out that JUNK was never shown in theaters so they didn't have a print available. We complained some more so they sent us the original cut negative of the film. We were thrilled until it it got into the hands of our telecini company in California. She looked at the film and told us it was the original CUT negative with all of the splices they used to put the film together. The glue from the splices ran into the whole film gluing together. This was really really bad. It meant that the whole film would have to be taken apart and re-glued together. They used the wrong glue when it was cut and now the negative was ruined to a degree.

we want anamorphic, we want it all, but sometimes that is hard to come by. if you want an anamorphic junk then get the eastern cult cinema version, just be forewarned it is faked.

Deaddevilman
05-02-2003, 09:31 AM
Gnaghi, who was responsible for putting the subtitles together for JUNK? I believe in the past you guys had relied on someone from the Japan side to do this. Just curious is all. I appreicate the work that you guys have done in releasing some of Japan's more sick and twisted works of art. The Guinea Pig series and Junk were released straight to video in Japan and I was one of the first to pick them up and they do not look any better then what you guys have put out. As proven by the print you received for Junk, these movies were made on shoestring budgets and seeing that makes me appreciate the work that went into making the film. It would probably cost you more to clean print up then it cost to make the film. Anusmorphically enhanced films make little difference to me as I am not a tech head. Keep up the good work, just make sure that dubbing is correct!

Atmims
05-02-2003, 02:30 PM
I really like your avatar Deaddevilman. It kicks major ass.

DefJeff
05-02-2003, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Deaddevilman
Anusmorphically enhanced films make little difference to me as I am not a tech head.

yeah, this is how I also feel.

i picked up the Junk DVD and thought it was fantastic, im gonna do a review for it later on

the thing i am most happy about is that they made a double side cover with the awesome original art on the outside

Shannafey
05-02-2003, 09:08 PM
Being in the video business, I can understand people wanting to see a product in it's best form, period. The fact that anamorphic releases will be better suited to people's future's needs is also a good argument. It's the reason you buy the best pc available at the time, so you don't have to upgrade as fast. For most of us, who don't have the equipment that takes full advantage of anamorphic transfers ie: widescreen tvs, it doesn't make much of a difference. A lot of times, I will buy a vcd of a film, because I don't want to make a big investment in a film, I might not even like. As for Junk, I bought the all-region German release for $12 a long time back, and though I liked the film, it is good enough for me. A lot of titles, if I do end up liking them, I upgrade, and if I hear good word of mouth from people I trust, I take a chance and buy the dvd outright. So, you see, it isn't a big issue with everyone!

Fart Lighter
05-03-2003, 12:36 AM
so....er......Has anybody seen the UK 'JUNK' release from ArtsMAgic who've also recently put out Wild Zero and Uzumaki in anamorphic transfers?

I saw the german 'Asian FIlm Network' DVD of JUNK and found it to be appalingly bad. Now the r1 isn't anamorphic, so that leave ArtsMAgic, but their past reputation is one of very bad quality releases. I guess nobody's seen it?

Fart Lighter
05-03-2003, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by Gnaghi
well because of this. the company that released that version just took the original letterboxed version and cropped it to be anamorphic. doing this results in lowering resolution, which is against the idea of anamorphic.

hang on.....So you're saying that it's OAR is less wide than 1.78:1? If that's the case, then leaving it non-anamorphic is fair enough (All TV makers should have the sense to include variable zooms for films with odd ratios). What's the ratio on the Unearhted version then?

Gnaghi
05-03-2003, 01:16 AM
same as the arts magic one. just they took the letterboxed version and cut out the black bars to make it stretch. ours has the letterbox.

ours is on the left:

http://www.unearthedfilms.com/junk.jpg

of course the pics aren't exact. i had to scale and stretch the anamorphic one to match the letterboxed one.

razorbackattack
05-07-2003, 06:15 PM
I remember reading so many bad things about JUNK, but when I finally saw the DVD I was totally blown away! Wow! I haven't had this much fun watching a newer horror film in a long time. This sucker was gory as hell, and lots of fun. Somebody said this was a film you can't watch more than once....I say....what movie were you watching? I liked this film even more than Versus since it had more of an "old-school" feel/look to it. This movie was a million times better than Dagon, The Convent, and some of the other more recent horror films that I tried to enjoy but just couldn't.

Great job Unearthed, the DVD was excellent and it had some nice extras too. Screw all the technobabble. I was raised on bootleg videos and I never complained back then, and I'm not gonna complain now.

DefJeff
05-07-2003, 06:46 PM
yeah, i totally agree razorback

i posted up my thoughts and review here for anyone who didnt see it:

http://www.horrordvds.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12110

Shannafey
05-08-2003, 03:05 PM
From Gorezone.net:

Unearthed Films update: Unearthed is is doing great. Had our 1st battle with the MPAA for Junk for the Blockbuster and Hollywood release. Talk about pain in the ass. JUNK was rated NC-17 and we had to cut ONE scene in the film for a R Rating. Don't worry though. The DVD's of JUNK available at all major stores and online is the UNCUT version. We just had to cut the version for the rental versions for Blockbuster and Hollywood rental outlets. They won't be sold, just rented to the masses. We also had problems with the MPAA for the DVD covers. On the DVD of JUNK we have a flip cover. One with the chick with a hunk of meat in her mouth and the flip side is a bunch of zombies. The MPAA BANNED both versions so we had to make a couple of other versions of the covers for the Rated R release. Talk about a pain in the ass.

Deaddevilman
05-08-2003, 05:17 PM
Once again the MPAA decides what is right for America to view. At least Unearthed put up fight....for a bit.

DefJeff
05-08-2003, 06:51 PM
heh, im interested in what the alternate covers are and what scene was cut...

Gnaghi
05-08-2003, 07:02 PM
check out the news post on our site jeff. looks like we will go with the fire face one though with a mouth added. and the scene cut was when ramon was shot in the head... you know how his head spews out all that blood, that part is what's cut.

DefJeff
05-08-2003, 07:27 PM
all of those covers are acutally pretty good

i espeically like the 2nd one from the left

http://www.unearthedfilms.com/images/Junk_2.jpg

Fart Lighter
05-09-2003, 12:08 AM
Thanks for the info & pics Gnaghi, but I can't really say there's much difference int he images. Both the Unearthed & ArtsMagic ones look as good as each other, just slightly different. It's nice to see there's two good releases of this film out now!

KillSwitch
05-09-2003, 01:10 AM
I just ordered this mofo! :) It better be damn good and gorey! :evil:

Nick

Rainbowthief
05-27-2003, 11:55 AM
http://www.unearthedfilms.com/images/Junk_2.jpg
Wow, I really love this cover the most! I think it's way better than the uncensored ones. Wish I could buy the film uncut with this cover.

NickyDoyle
06-01-2003, 09:43 PM
Just finished watching Junk last night and was very impressed by it. The movie definitly had the feel of a Fulci or Romero flick, and the acting was good too (especially by Miha, who played Kyoko/Zombie Queen.) Anamorphic or not, the picture was pretty sharp. Of course, I would've perferred anamorphic, but as was mentioned before, better to have a vibrant non-anamorphic then a dull anamorphic picture.

Great disk Gnaghi; keep 'em coming.

x666x
06-28-2003, 04:01 AM
I am 28 years old and had to watch a lot of bootlegged VHS/Beta copies in order to see films uncut. After years of dealing with 4th generation bootlegs, I cannot see how it is that big of a deal if the film is 4:3 or does not have 5.1 audio. Chances are, if it is on DVD, it will be a lot better than the versions I watched back in the day. So hats of Unearthed Films and other compainies like it who do a phenominal job regardless of whether the film is 4:3. And keep in mind that I did blow $5000 on a 16:9 television!

dwatts
07-22-2003, 11:22 PM
Just saw this for the first time - I have the UK version. The picture quality was okay to good. Nothing special.

Someone else wrote: "harkens back to the Euro zombie films". That says it all. Nothing original here at all - but no-one seems to be making these films anymore, so what the hey.

Worth buying? Well, if you're a zombie film fan - yes. No doubt about it. It's not complex, it's not deep, and they steal boatloads from Fulci. That's a GOOD thing by the way :)

Go get it!

dwatts
07-17-2005, 11:57 PM
Oh, how times change :D

Was it really so long ago that I first watched this film? Oh well.

I watchd it again tonight, only the second time in two years.

--so....er......Has anybody seen the UK 'JUNK' release from ArtsMAgic--

In my above post I said it was "Okay to good". It's two years later now, and expectations are greater. I'm downgrading it to "poor to okay". It's soft, and lacks detail.

As for the film itself... Watching this again certainly gave me a different perspective. I made a note when I started watching it, it simply said "Hell of the Living Dead". It'as not as funny as that one, but it's trying to be. The worst actor in this thing is a English guy trynig to play an Army leader.... he's so terrible, I wanted more of him. He calls in a japanese scientist, whose Enlgish was also very very funny.

Globdules of gore, which should please people. But more than anything else it's a Japanese rip of Italian zombie flicks - which if course were a rip of American ones.

It goes by fast... I can imagine the R2 looks better than the R1 - anamorphic or not.