PDA

View Full Version : Frightmare (1974) review

RyanPC
05-01-2003, 07:59 AM
I recently watched (for the second time) Pete Walker's Frightmare, a British thriller that is actually quite good. Image released this film bare bones for their Euroshock Collection, so let's take a look and see if it is worth recommending...

The Plot

I don't want to say too much about the plot, as it is best to go into this film not knowing what to expect. I would also recommend not reading the back of the DVD, as the synopsis gives away practically everything. All I will say is that this movie is about one's desire to kill and the lengths to which they will go to do so. If I give away any more, you probably won't enjoy it as much since there will be nothing to surprise you. Also, this is a very dark film, so don't expect a happy ending. :(

I must say I was totally impressed with this film. The acting is top-notch, the story is wonderful, and there are plenty of shocks and gore (although there is not as much gore as they would lead you to think). Very interesting film, it didn't leave me bored for a second. British films usually aren't my cup of tea, but this one was very effective. I highly recommend this film, it is very well done.

Rating: 4/5

Video Quality

Frightmare is presented full-frame, which is a bit of a disappointment. But it's not all bad... for full screen, the picture is quite good-- much better than a VHS. The colors are bright and stand out quite nicely, although not as well as they should. There is quite a bit of scratches and some grain throughout, but nothing too distracting. Again, the image quality could be better, but I am sure this is the best Frightmare has ever looked.

Rating: 3/5

Sound Quality

The film is presented in Dolby Digital Mono, and leaves a lot to be desired. There isn't much to say here, since Mono is Mono. The spoken word was clear and I didn't detect any distortment of any kind.

Rating: 3/5

Special Features

This is where the disc is totally lacking, as extras are non-existant. It doesn't even have a real menu... it does, but the only thing on it is scene selection, which doesn't even count as an extra. Very disappointing; the least they could have done was included a theatrical trailer.

Rating: 0/5

Overall

Overall, this disc really isn't recommendable. The picture and sound aren't that good, although the film is quite well done. There are no extras, which is a shame. I can only recommend this DVD unless you are a fan of the film... otherwise, casual viewers might want to wait for a better edition of the film, if one ever comes out.

Overall: 2.5/5

Andrew
05-02-2003, 02:14 AM
I got it but haven't watched it yet. As long as the movie's good, I don't care, as it was only $7.50.

Atmims
05-02-2003, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by AndrewBBD
I got it but haven't watched it yet. As long as the movie's good, I don't care, as it was only $7.50.

Same here, I've had this DVD for a couple months but haven't watched it yet. I will definetly check it out this weekend.
Thanks for the review!

RyanPC
05-02-2003, 02:43 AM
$7.50!!! Man, I got mine when it was expensive! $22 at Amazon. I've wised up and don't shop there for DVDs anymore.

Rock
05-05-2003, 03:54 PM
Ryan, I give FRIGHTMARE a solid 3....Sheila Keith and Rupert Davies are absolutely terrifying as the parents and the downbeat ending was (and still is) a real shocker...us Americans should pay closer attention to the British and how they go about scaring their audiences, even in an oldie but goodie like this one...

RyanPC
05-05-2003, 10:20 PM
True... the British have given us some great ones! I also thought ASYLUM was pretty creepy but not the best.

Or as on the back of the box for FRIGHTMARE, very 'creepie'! :D

Rock
05-05-2003, 11:06 PM
RyanPC, you seen any other Pete Walker films? They are hard to find...I've seen FRIGHTMARE, THE FLESH & BLOOD SHOW, SCHIZO, and part of THE COMEBACK...

RyanPC
05-05-2003, 11:19 PM
I heard of Schizo and actually had to chance to rent it one time, but passed it up. It does sound good, though.

Andrew
05-06-2003, 12:49 AM
Yeah how is SCHIZO? What's it about? I've always been interested in that.

Deaddevilman
05-06-2003, 03:29 AM
I have always liked this one. Although I would prefer a widescreen version, I don't have to much of a problem with the full screen, I just hit the panorama button and enjoy.

Atmims
05-08-2003, 12:15 AM
I watched this movies last night. I thought it was pretty cool, me and my brother both enjoyed it. Definetly better than I expected.

cread
05-09-2003, 01:24 PM
Those with PAL capability may be interested to know that a remastered, better looking version of Frightmare (and House of Whipcord) are availible from salvation (http://www.salvation-films.ltd.uk/index2.html), with trailer and posters (etc.) as extras. They are presented 'open matte' revealing far more picture information then had they been cropped into widescreen.

maringo
05-09-2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by cread
Those with PAL capability may be interested to know that a remastered, better looking version of Frightmare (and House of Whipcord) are availible from salvation (http://www.salvation-films.ltd.uk/index2.html), with trailer and posters (etc.) as extras. They are presented 'open matte' revealing far more picture information then had they been cropped into widescreen.

Salvation were recently selling copies of Frightmare cheap to mailing list members, so they may not have any stock of that DVD left.

Andrew
05-11-2003, 05:55 AM
What's the advantage of those being open matte when this is too? I find it funny that when a disc is fullscreen it's often bashed for "not being in the correct ratio" or some such business, but at the same time if one is announced as fullscreen it "reveals more exciting picture information!" Just kinda makes me laugh, a double-edged sword I guess.

Just watched the flick and while it was very British, I quite liked it. Some good scenes throughout, and it played out like a choice cut from Masterpiece Theater ;). Worth what I spent though, most definitely.