PDA

View Full Version : Legend of the Seven Golden..... Ugh!

dwatts
05-02-2003, 10:56 AM
Wow, this one is a real stinker. I’m talking ….. phew!

There are two kinds of bad films. Some are so bad they’re good, elevating themselves to where they don’t belong. And others are BAD – like too bad to even laugh at.

Guess which one this fits in – yup – the latter. I could not even get through the thing in one sitting. 40 minutes in I had to go take an hours break. I did come back and get the rest though.

Boy, so many things are wrong with it. It doesn’t begin and end with the film either. The transfer is pretty bad – blacks are grays, night scenes get washed out. The mono soundtrack sounds like mumbling at times. Eek!

Now – the truly weird thing is, I’m glad I own it from a collector’s point. But will I watch it again? Not any time soon. It is so sad to see Hammer go bad – but there it is for the world to see, Hammer gone to hell.

I might get around to writing a review of this film, but honestly, I just can’t work up the passion!

hell ya!
05-02-2003, 03:11 PM
Ok i guess that will be the last Hammer i'll get then. :D

Zodiac-Mindwarp
05-02-2003, 05:43 PM
I remember this not being very good when I saw it years ago, but it sounds like it is even worse than I remember.

I might just rent the old tape to refresh my memory at some point because there is some much stuff that I want to buy that I will gladly pass on something terrible, even if it is a Hammer production.

Thanks much for the info Dwatts, and for saving me on a purchase that I would most likely regret.

dwatts
05-02-2003, 06:11 PM
Yeah - you really should go with me on this one.

I bought The Abominable Snowman and Frankenstein Created Woman on german DVD today. I'll report back.

It's sometimes difficult to decide based solely on the opinion of a stranger on a message board - but Legend just stinks, no matter what. My wife left with me half way through, and refused to come back for the rest!

Zodiac-Mindwarp
05-02-2003, 07:37 PM
Well, I just checked on the title, and we have it at work. Since I can just watch the VHS for free I will most likely check it out again sometime soon and then decide weather it is worth a DVD purchase.

By the way Dwatts, from your reviews and posts I have found that our opinions on many movies are pretty much the same. Another reason that I feel comfortable not ordering the DVD anytime soon, since it will most likely be a week or 2 before I have time to watch the VHS of this.

dwatts
05-02-2003, 09:34 PM
Watching it FEELS like two weeks :D

Zodiac-Mindwarp
05-02-2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by dwatts
Watching it FEELS like two weeks :D

This is starting to sound so bad that I am starting to get interested in watching it. :lol:

Deaddevilman
05-02-2003, 11:31 PM
This film was absolute crapini! I kept thinking some gore was coming any second, then I thought kung-fu, then I thought a twist to the story, then I ..............

Zodiac-Mindwarp
05-02-2003, 11:33 PM
OK, I am starting to lose intrest again.

dwatts
05-03-2003, 01:47 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

It's shit. And I hardly ever swear on here.

Deaddevilman
05-03-2003, 01:55 AM
The only thing this movie has going for it is the title. To bad it turned into Legend of the Golden Waste Of My Time & Money.

Paff
05-03-2003, 02:52 AM
I don't think it's that bad, but it's not really a Hammer movie, or even a horror movie in my book.

It's really a 70's kung-fu movie first and foremost, and if you're not into that, you're in for a bad time. Peter Cushing was definitely wasted in this one, though he was getting too old to be Van Helsing anyway.

Zodiac-Mindwarp
05-03-2003, 02:52 AM
OK, I think that I will even skip the VHS which I can watch for free, and just watch something good instead.

I do not have enough free time to even get thru the stuff that I really want to watch, and now this sounds like a total waste of time.

Thanks for talking me out of wasting my time on this one fellas! :)

mutleyhyde
05-03-2003, 04:39 AM
ZM, the vhs is more than likely the even worse American edit, which is a perfect example how editing can ruin a film. I personally like the movie, but the American version is absolutely horrible. It's not just that stuff is cut, it's rearanged, and major story elements are just thrown away. I'm not saying that the Brit version is some masterpiece, I'm just saying the American version is really nothing to judge the film on. The Anchor Bay dvd has both versions on it. You may still not like the movie though, either version. It's certainly not everybody's cup of blood. I just implore you, and evryone else, not to judge it on the American version.

dwatts
05-03-2003, 11:43 AM
I'll get around - just for kicks - to watching that US version (I went straight to the UK one). This DVD also has a cool 45 minute "radio" version, where Cushing narrates the entire story over the original sountrack. Strange, but a nice extra.

The Chaostar
05-03-2003, 11:36 PM
... I like it.:D

Zodiac-Mindwarp
05-03-2003, 11:56 PM
Thanks for the input Mutley.

I am not to surprised that the American is hacked to hell, pretty normal on far to many titles.

If I run across the Anchor Bay DVD for rent, or for sale way cheap I may give it a spin, mostly because I do like some of the old kung fu movies of this era.

Deaddevilman
05-04-2003, 12:51 AM
I specifically bought this for the Kung Fu and the horror was extra. Both were big let downs as I said earlier. This is one disc that would make a better wind chime.