PDA

View Full Version : THE INCUBUS review

RyanPC
05-03-2003, 12:44 AM
THE INCUBUS was filmed in 1981, around the time of the slasher craze, when films like Friday the 13th and Halloween 2 were popular. It is a film that could easily be mistaken for just another slasher film, but on closer inspection it is much more than that. There are more supernatural elements in the film, which make it all the more interesting. Elite has released this nearly forgotten film on DVD, so let's take a closer look...

THE PLOT

A doctor named Sam (John Cassavetes) and his daughter Jenny recently moved to the small town of Galen. It is the kind of town where word gets around fast, and where the neighbors like to gossip and eavesdrop on conversations. When a string of rape/murders begin to occur, Sam feels it is his job to solve the case and find out who the killer is.

At the same time, Jenny's boyfriend, Tim Galen, is having terrible nightmare. Every time he has one of these nightmares, someone is raped and murdered. Tim himself even begins to think that he is the killer. His grandmother tries to tell him that he has nothing to do with the murders, but it is obvious that she is hiding something.

Sam discovers that the rapist had dry intercourse with the first victim, but an unusual amount of sperm is found in the next victim. The sperm is also unusual because it is red, and not because of the blood. Also, each of the victims uteruses have been ruptured.

He meets a female reporter named Laura Kincaid (Kerrie Keane), who is new in town and investigating the case. The two work together to solve the case and find out who the killer is.

I must say, I wasn't too impressed with the beginning of this film. Also, it was boring at times and there was too much talking going on. But there is some cool gore effects, and some very disturbing rape/murders, which definitely makes up for the boring gaps in the plot. Also, without giving anything away, I have to say that the ending was truly disturbing and really made the film a whole lot better for me, once you know who the killer is.

This is certainly one of the best Canadian slashers of the 80's, although I probably shouldn't call it a slasher as it is more a supernatural murder mystery. It should please fans of those types of films though, and I certainly recommend it. Also, the acting is top-notch from almost everyone, especially John Cassavetes, whom it is a pleasure to see. The one I was disappointed in was Kerrie Keane as Laura; while she was good (and she really doesn't have that much of a role, in my opinion), she just wasn't as good as I had hoped she would be (although she is stunningly beautiful). Great film, and I highly recommend it to those who are looking for a good murder mystery with a twist. Like I said, I might not have liked it as much had the ending not been so bizarre.

Rating: 4/5

VIDEO QUALITY

Elite has presented THE INCUBUS in widescreen (1.85:1) and enhanced for 16 X 9 televisions. I hadn't seen this film until now, so I have nothing to compare it with, but I am sure this is the best it has ever looked. There is minor grain in most of the scenes, but on the back of the box it says this grain is due to the original film elements used. But the colors were somewhat vivid, and for a film made in 1981, it looks great. Good job from Elite!

Rating: 3.5/5

SOUND QUALITY

The sound is Dolby Digital Mono, and is exactly what Mono is-- Mono. The track is alright, but I definitely think they could have done better. The dialogue is clear and the music sounds very good.

Rating: 2.5/5

SPECIAL FEATURES

Unfortunately, all Elite has included is a theatrical trailer, which is pretty interesting but hurts the disc overall. Even though extras for a film like this might be hard to come by, I still think Elite could have found at least a little something more to put on the disc-- even some talent bios or a still gallery would have been a nice addition to the disc, but no such luck.

Rating: 0.5/5

OVERALL

This is a film I found to be very good and, like I said earlier, I highly recommend it to those looking for a bizarre murder mystery. The video quality is good and the sound is OK, but this is basically a bare bones release. Unless you really love this film, you may want to rethink the situation before spending the $24.95 retail price tag. Fortunately, I got this disc in a trade! :D

Overall Rating: 3/5

Hellbilly
05-03-2003, 06:34 AM
I really like Incubus. This was one of my favorite "Vestron" video titles back then.
This film has a few very cool death scenes and a nice amount of creepy moments. Speaking of creepy ... I instantly knew there was something "wrong" with Kerrie Keane but the ending still kinda caught me by surprise, heh.
I was also surprised to see Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden) :D , I totally forgot he was in this.

Yeah, Incubus delivers. Definitely worth checking out.

p.s. another thing I've never notice was the "whale mating sound" in a certain scene ... thanks for pointing that out rhett :D

Great review Ryan!

RyanPC
05-03-2003, 06:51 AM
Thanks! THE INCUBUS is a great film... I am glad someone agrees with me! :)

rhett
05-03-2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Hellbilly
p.s. another thing I've never notice was the "whale mating sound" in a certain scene ... thanks for pointing that out rhett :D
:lol: Yeah Helly, it totally sounds like a whale when that librarian gets it against the door window. :D

I was kind of let down by THE INCUBUS, but that is not to say it didn't have its better moments. There were some good segments in the film, and being a slasher from Canada I was kind of expecting a little more than I got. There are some interesting things that were going on beneath the surface of that film, but it kind of seemed to abandon those themes by the film's end.

That's just me though, I'm glad to see you liked the disc Ryan. Good review!

Zodiac-Mindwarp
05-03-2003, 07:39 PM
Great review Ryan.

I think that I am going to dig out my old tape and give this one a watch again sometime soon.

RyanPC
05-03-2003, 08:07 PM
Yeah, I love Canadian slashers too... just watched Prom Night again a couple nights ago, it's still an awesome flick! I also love Humongous, but that's all I can think of! Help me out here! :)

Zodiac-Mindwarp
05-03-2003, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by RyanPC
Yeah, I love Canadian slashers too... just watched Prom Night again a couple nights ago, it's still an awesome flick! I also love Humongous, but that's all I can think of! Help me out here! :)

I had no idea that Humongous was Canadian.

I loved Happy Birthday To Me, and Black Christmas, along with several of the great works from David Cronenberg like Videodrome, Shivers, Scanners, Crash & eXistenz which are all great.

But I would say that my favorite Canadian horror movie of the moment is My Bloody Valentine. Most likely because I just recently got the disc and I am aching to watch it soon!

RyanPC
05-03-2003, 11:49 PM
Oh yeah... some of those titles just slipped my mind! I love Happy Birthday to Me, Black Christmas, Shivers, Scanners (although not up to par with some of his other early works), Rabid, My Bloody Valentine. But My Bloody Valentine has to be my least favorite of the lot, even though I still love it. Canada has put out some wonderful slasher flicks... I wish they were still doing it!

Yes, Humongous is from the makers of Prom Night. :D

RyanPC
05-03-2003, 11:55 PM
And has anyone noticed how great Jamie Lee looks in Prom Night??? :sperm: :sperm: :sperm: :sperm: :D

rhett
05-04-2003, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by RyanPC
And has anyone noticed how great Jamie Lee looks in Prom Night??? :sperm: :sperm: :sperm: :sperm: :D
Yes Ryan! you don't have to tell me twice. Jamie Lee was in her prime in that film, IMO. She also looked excellent in TERROR TRAIN, which is also another great Canadian slasher.

RyanPC
05-04-2003, 07:54 AM
Oh yeah, forget to list that one... I loved TERROR TRAIN too. I think that Jamie's best film-- acting wise-- is Prom Night. Halloween comes a close second, but she was very good in True Lies, even though that isn't a horror movie.