PDA

View Full Version : Frankenstein Created Woman

dwatts
05-03-2003, 01:37 AM
DVD: ANOLIS, Hammer Edition (Germany). 1:66. Mono 2.0. Extras: World of Hammer Episode, trailers (four),widescreen.

Well, I was not sure what to expect here – but it’s all thumbs up!

What’s the deal with the Baron? Very smart guy, always led astray by bad decisions. This time he’s not so interested in creating a man from bits and pieces, or even a woman for that matter – instead, we’re into SOULS here. Yeah, that’s right, maybe what has gone wrong before is that he has not taken sufficient control of the soul of man!

But – he always screws something up. He has the body of a woman, and the soul of a man. Lovers, separated by death. Worse, he has the soul of a man who wants revenge on three miscreants, mixed with the body of his drowned lover. No way this is going to end good!

Frankenstein Created Woman (or Frankenstein Schuf Ein Weib, as shown here) is an interesting sideshow for the series of Hammer films. Amazingly, it works quite well too.

This film is not about body parts (there is basically no surgery) and the ending is something of an anti-climax. But the ride through the film is glorious. Hammer at its best, imho. As with Dr. Jeckyl and Mrs. Hyde, Hammer gives a key role to a woman, as something other than victim. Minimal sets, a familiar cast, and a soundtrack to die for. Cushing gets a ton of screen time too!

No real gore, even by Hammer standards, but the sum makes up more than its parts. I watched this thing back to back – twice – and loved it each time. Probably more second time around (sign of a great DVD buy).

And what to make of the German cover? Beats the crap out of the US version, huh? This one has an English option (with no subs) too. http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00006RYOP/qid=1051917790/sr=2-3/ref=sr_2_11_3/028-2025058-3775759

In the Hammer genre, this film stands proud. It is a simple story, told simply, but with the elegance and beauty that was unique to Hammer. You can’t miss a frame, you can’t miss a scene, you can’t turn away. In the upper echelon of Hammer films, this film ought not work, but it does.

I suspect the transfer is simply doing the rounds. In Germany this week, they released four Hammer films (Abominable Snowman, Frankenstein Created Woman, Plaque of the Zombies and Reptile). I have the latter two already – so bought the others. I bet the transfer on this one is identical to the US release.

The cover art is better here – but whatever version is near you – pick this one up. If you have a hankering for Hammer, this will satisfy!

Hellbilly
05-03-2003, 06:43 AM
Nice review dwatts. I've never seen this film, heck, I've haven't seen many "hammer" films to begin with.
Is this release 16:9 enhanced?

dwatts
05-03-2003, 11:34 AM
The picture is great. It just says 16:9 on the back. There are a few speckles here and there - it's not pristine. But the colors are vibrant, and the transfer is very nice. If you have not seen many Hammer, and want to get into them, there are probably others you should go with first. I enjoyd this one though.

hell ya!
05-03-2003, 06:07 PM
Great review, I'll pick this one up seeing as how i enjoyed the other Frankenstein flicks but i'm not sure when i should pick it up.

Zodiac-Mindwarp
05-03-2003, 07:52 PM
Another great revied Dwatts!

I love Hammer stuff, and this is one the ones that I have never seen.

Yet another great title to add to my DVD wish list!