PDA

View Full Version : Asian Movie of the Month - May: "Run And Kill" (1993)

DVD Connoisseur
05-04-2003, 04:10 PM
Run And Kill is a wonderful slice of extreme cinema from Hin Sing "Billy" Tang, director of Red To Kill (see my earlier mini-review here - http://www.horrordvds.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5537 ) and Dr. Lamb.

As with all HK category III films, political correctness is thrown out of the window and the movie goes all out to shatter taboos. Despite its OTT, harrowing nature, the film contains a dark streak of black humour that really hits the mark.

In brief, the hero (!) of this dark piece, "Fatty" Kau Ng accidentally takes out a contract on the life of his unfaithful wife while lying drunk in a gutter. Following the death of his wife, he is pursued for payment by the gang leader who arranged the hit and things go from bad to worse, and then to worse still....

As always, I don't want to give too much away as I knew what was coming and I think the film works better if you don't know what's around the corner (like Audition).

The movie's well directed and the two leading characters, "Fatty" and the totally psychotic Ching Fung, are superbly acted by Kent Cheng and Simon Yam. This is a really character driven piece and the film hangs on the performances of the lead actors. Thankfully, they deliver in a very satisfying manner.

This is top drawer exploitation stuff from HK. Some will find it a tough ride, others will enjoy the black humour beneath the shocking subject material. One thing's for sure - this film won't be remade for any Hollywood release any time this century!

I watched the new Universe Laser R3 release. The subtitles (on the film itself and not added by the DVD label) had a habit of disappearing beneath the black border which made early scenes frustrating but this problem went away after a while. As this film is a rarity and it was as cheap as chips to purchase, this did not detract from my enjoyment of the movie.

K'
05-04-2003, 09:34 PM
A US company which name escapes me at the moment (FantASIA or something like that), will release this and 'Red to Kill' as RC1 in the future. If you haven't bought the HK dvds yet, it might be good to wait for the RC1. Hopefully their quality will be better.

flesh-huntr
05-12-2003, 05:44 AM
The scene with the lead running out 'holding' his daughter:eek1:..priceless.

Atmims
05-12-2003, 04:01 PM
I've been curious about this movie for a while but then I forgot all about it. As soon as a region 0 or region 1 DVD comes out I'm getting it.

flesh-huntr
05-13-2003, 03:10 AM
A very nice quality vcd can be had from pokerindustries.com