PDA

View Full Version : NotLD Elite Edition

Der Todesking
02-02-2001, 01:11 AM
Ok, so I just picked this up today for approx. $35 Canadian, and was wondering a couple of things: First of all, what's everyone's opinion on this disc? Is it better/worse than that 30th anniversary edition? Secondly, someone told me that the disc has gone out of print. Is that true?
Thanx in advance!

AceRimRat
02-02-2001, 02:02 AM
My opinion on the picture is that the Elite version is superior - I found the picture to be clearer and less jumpy, but I don't know offhand about anamorphic status.

Now, for a whole different can of worms, the 30th anniversary edition changes...

The 30th anniversary edition has two versions of the film - the original with a new score and the version with added footage and the new score.

The new score is, how should I be charitable, not particularly good. Well, fairly bad. No, really bad. Yeah, that's it.

The added footage is... ah, screw charity... laughable. Or horrifying, depending on how you look at it. Ask Mark Relford, who dubbed it the Hackmaster 2000 edition, which is about the best way to phrase it.

Back me up here, guys.

DeepDownTraumaHound
02-02-2001, 02:23 AM
Acerimrat, you are right! laughable is exactly my adjective for the extra footage in the 30th anniv. edition. I can think of many others, but won;t get too vulgar. It desecrates a classic. its like rewriting Catcher in the Rye or Anthem, you just don't fuck with that stuff. Elite's version is 1000000 times better, and it doesnt have that shit music that dopey guy made. Elite's version is, in a word, superior. dont even bother with that lousy AB crap. they should be ashamed.

Mark Relford
02-02-2001, 07:12 AM
Be afraid, Der Todesking. Be very afraid. :)

Russo's Hackmaster 2000 edition is a crime! The new scenes don't jell with the old ones. Vlad's score is pure garbage, not to mention his "performance" as the reverend.
You have the best version of NOTLD in your hands. I believe it's still in print.

Der Todesking
02-02-2001, 10:08 AM
Thanks everyone. Looks like I made a good purchase then. Although I'm sure I won't make it more than I few days without tearing it open and popping it in my machine, can't stop to wonder if it'll be worth anything at some point...
:rolleyes:

nor-t
02-02-2001, 06:54 PM
I have to agree to with everyone here, the 30th Ann edition is sh*t. Added to all its other problems the sound is a second or so out throughout the film so that the hammers banging in nails (of which there is alot) is quite distracting!

This post has prompted me to sell my 30th and get another version. Looking on Amazon they have a special collectors edition with director/cast commentaries and THX - is this the elite version (it doesn't say) and if not is this a good version? Thanks :)

napalm68
02-02-2001, 08:44 PM
Yeah, the 30th hackmaster edition is shit. I think the proof of this is that two years later you can still buy the Limited edition version of it with the new score CD new at online stores like express...

I thought it was a very nice visual transfer (and you could watch the DVD in the original Romero form), but I have not seen the Elite version - I honestly can't watch the film now after hearing that pitiful score by Vlad Felchi or whatever the hell his name was. It has forever ruined it for me. That score was SHIT and the absolutely worst thing that could have been done to it. It was worse than getting Hanson to do a soundtrack for a rerelease of Hitchcock's Psycho ("A ba, ba, ba, baaaa!" - oh wait, that's the Jackson 5 :)). They should burn in hell for what they did to NOTLD...

On a minor positive side, there was a pretty gruesome new effect in the new version with an accident victims head I thought was well done...

MovieFan
02-02-2001, 11:52 PM
IMO, the Elite edition of NOTLD is the only one to get. Great audio and video transfer and some good extras.

DayoftheRhodes
02-04-2001, 03:41 AM
Keep the Elite version you currently have. The picture quality is so impressive and the commentaries are great and the first commentary is the only one in existence that has Romero included. it's a keeper definitely

rhett
02-04-2001, 06:20 AM
I will get attacked like a dead zebra by a pack of hungry lions for saying this, but I don't much mind the 'Hackmaster 2000' disc. Sure the new scenes are utter shit, but the original version is still there. Sure the music wasn't great, but it was still interesting to see what they tried to do with it. At least AB tried to make a good version of the film. I would much rather the 30th Anniversary Edition version rather than the other bare bone NotLD discs. I would rather have a disc full of supplements than a bare bones disc, no matter how bad the supplements may be. The Elite version is far superior and is one of my favorites, but I don't feel that NotLD: 30 version should be shit on as it does. If you don't like the new scenes, don't watch them. The disc was an ambitious effort, and I am in no way ashamed of buying it or watching it.

MovieFan
02-04-2001, 08:47 AM
I would much rather the 30th Anniversary Edition version rather than the other bare bone NotLD discs.

I'd rather have a bare bone NotLD disc than the shit that was the 30th Anniversary Edition.

rhett
02-04-2001, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by MovieFan:
I'd rather have a bare bone NotLD disc than the shit that was the 30th Anniversary Edition.
I'm glad you feel that way, but I would much rather support a company like Anchor Bay, who at least put the time in to clean the film up and add supplements, than a company like UAV, whose version is almost indecipherable and in many cases worse than the video tape.