PDA

View Full Version : my review of Junk

DefJeff
05-05-2003, 05:53 AM
so Unearthed Films brings us the fantastic zombie flick Junk, the disc and movie are both good.. but read on to find out HOW good!.......

Junk is presented in widescreen (1.66:1) and is not anamorphic. audio is presented in Dolby Digital 2.0 and is in Japanese (and sometimes English) with English subs (and sometimes Japanese subs). video looks great and audio sounds good.

for extras we get the original theatrical trailer for Junk as well as trailers for Evil Dead Trap 2 and some of the Guinea Pig movies also available from Unearthed. next up is a photo/stills gallery containing some awesome video sleeves and shots from the movie. rounding everything out are an interesting Production Notes section and Cast and Crew Bios. topping everything off is also a reversable cover that i GUARANTEE you will never flip!

good disc for a GREAT movie.....

its about 4 super-cool theives who have a deal with the Yakuza to trade some stolen jewels for some Yen. They set a meeting place and upon the theives arrival, find out its infested with some fuckin' awesome looking zombies. The Yakuza arrives and the deal goes sour... and when told about the zombies, obviously they dont believe it...that is until they are attacked themselves!!!! now its up to the people who are left alive to escape the wrath of the super intelligent zombie and her drones of typical mindless zombies. Will the virus's creator get there in time? will they escape with their money or jewels or lives? how many intestines will get chomped? will the super smart zombie ever be smart enough to put some clothes on? watch this fantastic movie to find out!!

i absolutly loved this movie-- it had SO much good stuff going for it: GREAT zombie FX, tons of violence/gore/gut eating, extremely cool/likeable characters, superb music, lots of action and even some suspense thrown in there. I honestly have no complaints about this movie and it is now one of my favorite zombie flicks ever.

the only thing i gotta ask to those of you who have seen it is-- how BAD did the American actors act huh!? jeeze, they were hideous.. espeically the Army leader dude

i highly recommend this to everyone and you zombie fans must go buy this ASAP! good disc and a great movie!

opinions anyone?

http://www.diabolikdvd.com/covers/junkntsc.jpg

Deaddevilman
05-05-2003, 06:38 AM
Good review and one of my favortie movies. Junk was shot in Okinawa which is home to a large US Airforce/Marine base. It looks like they just picked up a few locals who for some reason or another decided to stay in Okinawa after their tour of duty was over. I believe my morning stool could act better then these guys. I loved it when then spoke to the the doctor in English and he answered in Japanese and they all understood each other...fantastic. I am a nit picker on Japanese/English translations so I am anxioius to see if they did a good job.

Mortis
05-05-2003, 03:35 PM
It looks like I have another movie to add to my "to buy" list. :D

Shannafey
05-05-2003, 03:54 PM
I have the German disc, which doesn't have the greatest transfer. You now have me thinking I might want to upgrade. I'll watch it this weekend and see how tempted I am. This film is the only one of the Japanese imports that played like a Euro zombie flick. Without all the goofiness inherent in Asian flix.

KillSwitch
06-02-2003, 08:46 PM
Versus is still the best Asian zombie film. :banana:

Nick

Deaddevilman
06-03-2003, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by KillSwitch
Versus is still the best Asian zombie film. :banana:

Nick

Versus is okay at best. and it's not an Asian film, it's a Japanese film. A big difference.

Zandri
06-03-2003, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by Deaddevilman
.. and it's not an Asian film, it's a Japanese film. A big difference.

well that statement just confuses the hell out of me :rolleyes:

Zodiac-Mindwarp
06-03-2003, 06:30 AM
A damn fine review Jeff!

I LOVE this movie! To me it plays like an Italian Zombie movie with a crazy Japanese sensibility. Ultra violent.

I also have the German disc on this one, and I am not sure if I will be upgrading to the R1 disc for a while, since the German disc is pretty good on my TV, and since I have an absolute TON of movies on my wish list that I do not have yet. That is making it a lot harder for me to upgrade on a title that I already have.

KillSwitch
06-03-2003, 08:20 PM
Deaddevilman... how the hell is this film not Asian?? (Versus) Its from the far east area. Explain, I really wanna know.

Nick

thrashard76
06-04-2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by DefJeff
i highly recommend this to everyone and you zombie fans must go buy this ASAP! good disc and a great movie!

Great review o' erotic one! :lol: ;) I have this one on order and is on the way. I can't way to check this bad puppy out. :evil:

Deaddevilman
06-05-2003, 04:00 AM
Originally posted by KillSwitch
Deaddevilman... how the hell is this film not Asian?? (Versus) Its from the far east area. Explain, I really wanna know.

Nick

Sorry for the delay. I have lived in Japan for quite some time and have been infected by their homogenous thinking. Japan may be located in Asia proper, along with Afghanistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei, Cambodia, China, East Timor, Fiji, Georgia, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Korea, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lebanon and the list goes on all the way to Vietnam and Yemen. Although some of these countries are considered to be the Middle East, they are part of the Asian continent. Anyways, the Japanese consider themselves descendents of the sun god and are above all other living creatures, other Asians are considered second class at best, and actually consider being called Asian an offense. Enough of that foolishness.

What I was trying to imply was that J-Horror should be the proper name for these films coming out of Japan.

dwatts
06-08-2003, 05:51 PM
Well, I'm gonna try to cut down on the genre titles. Japan is part of Asia, so Asian horror encompasss it all nicely (hate to have to start doing Wyoming-horror, Kentucky horror, LA-horror" :)

Euro horror nicely encompasses all of Europe, after all.

I really must check this one out though.

Nemesis
06-09-2003, 01:21 AM
well i dunno about that, when i think of euro films i think of foreign languages etc etc... so i kind of think of UK films (such as 28 days later) as being different to euro films...

Deaddevilman
06-09-2003, 01:59 AM
When I think of Euro Horror I think Italian. Nothing else...

Zodiac-Mindwarp
06-09-2003, 02:01 AM
For me Euro horror is anything from Europe or England.

But hey, that's just me. :D

Andrew
06-09-2003, 05:46 AM
DDM - So Jess Franco isn't Euro Horror?

Deaddevilman
06-09-2003, 07:14 AM
The occasional Spanish film slips through, but the majority of my Euro Horror is Italian. I certainly wouldn't consider the Hammer films Euro Horror, but that's just my taste.

dwatts
06-09-2003, 12:46 PM
Euro-horror are films from Europe. While the British do not like being considered "European", they indeed are. Looking at the catalogs, such as the "euro shock collection", you'll find plenty of English based films.

The term "euro" has always defined a PLACE to me, the place where the films originated from. It has nothing to do with language (other than realizing that some European countries have their own language).

Asian horror encompasses all of Asia. Hammer is, obviously, euro. However, as a studio they transcended any of the categories and become, just... Hammer. But, they are Euro.

Deaddevilman
06-10-2003, 03:48 AM
Japan and England are quite similar. They are both island nations that have done much better then the other countries nearest them and because they are isolated, they feel little to no relationship with the local land mass. Although both countries may be part of Asian/Europe they prefer not to associate with the terms. I respectively disagree that J-Horror is part of Asian horror and the same goes for British horror.

Trucci
06-10-2003, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Deaddevilman
Sorry for the delay. I have lived in Japan for quite some time and have been infected by their homogenous thinking. Japan may be located in Asia proper, along with Afghanistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei, Cambodia, China, East Timor, Fiji, Georgia, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Korea, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lebanon and the list goes on all the way to Vietnam and Yemen. Although some of these countries are considered to be the Middle East, they are part of the Asian continent. Anyways, the Japanese consider themselves descendents of the sun god and are above all other living creatures, other Asians are considered second class at best, and actually consider being called Asian an offense. Enough of that foolishness.

What I was trying to imply was that J-Horror should be the proper name for these films coming out of Japan.

Well hellooo Mr. Fancy Pants! You stereotype an entire country of people to justify your stereotyping of even more entire countries. And why wouldn't Japan want to be associated with other Asian countries? I mean they did borrow from Chinese characters to make their very writing system kanji (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=kanji). The term "Asian" has been malleated to replace the tacky term "Oriental". Society doesn't refer to Russians as Asians even though they technically are because it has developed a meaning beyond the dictionary definition (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=asian).

I do agree that movies are better catagorized by nation, but this whole "if it's Japan or England, it must be catagorized seperately!" attitude is childish. Also, of the times I've been to Japan I haven't noticed the homogenous attitude you speak of. Maybe I haven't been there long enough to notice, but they seem pretty humble yet patriotic.

Edited for possible hostile tones.

mcchrist
06-10-2003, 01:35 PM
Edited for possible hostile tones.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Deaddevilman
06-10-2003, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Trucci
Well hellooo Mr. Fancy Pants! ...but they seem pretty humble yet patriotic.

I prefer jeans and the word I think you're looking for is Nationalistic rather then patriotic any maybe you missed the part where I wrote "enough of this foolishness".

Trucci
06-16-2003, 09:25 AM
I prefer no pants.

Andrew
06-16-2003, 10:45 PM
Not to disrupt anything, but I finally got JUNK and really enjoyed it. Very cool movie, and that guy Akira is one of the funniest characters ever put on screen.

x666x
06-28-2003, 12:04 PM
Yeah. I checked out a screening of it in Toronto and that dude is really funny in the film. I cannot see how anyone could dislike Junk.

indiephantom
07-21-2003, 07:34 AM
I've got to check this one out...:evil:

ekent
07-21-2003, 08:00 AM
This flick is good, not great. I think that it is similar in many ways to Zombie 3, especially the opening sequence. The main naked woman zombie (from the cover) was very nice to look at, and I really enjoyed the final battle when her hair turns white. I have the German disc as well, and was wondering......

I guess it is a bad translation but the main heroine was talking about a Porshe the whole time, but the dude showed up with a Corvette. Bad translation? Is this changed in the R1 release?

englishken
07-29-2003, 03:58 AM
So can we call a Canadian movie as a movie from North America:D