PDA

View Full Version : The Incredible Melting Man (vhs)

Rock
05-05-2003, 07:38 PM
(1977, MGM “Midnite Movies” VHS, coming soon to DVD)

The sole survivor of a botched space voyage to Saturn, Colonel Steve West (Alex Rebar) witnesses a strange solar flare before returning to Earth with an illness that causes his flesh to literally melt away from his bones…and creates in him an appetite for human blood, sending him on a gory rampage replete with gooey, drippy makeup FX by Rick Baker (SQUIRM, THE FUNHOUSE, AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON). Unintentionally hilarious one minute, then deadly serious the next, this somewhat obscure ‘B’ movie from American International Pictures will probably remind genre fans of past sci-fi classics such as THE QUATERMASS XPERIMENT (THE CREEPING UNKNOWN) and FIRST MAN INTO SPACE. It’s a relatively short (85 minutes), no-frills kind of early slasher as there’s not a lot of time wasted on explanations and past events. We never find out what exactly it is that causes West’s ears to fall off and stick to tree branches or his eyes to drop out of his skull while he skulks about the countryside decapitating unsuspecting fishermen and chewing through a pair of silly senior citizens out on a late-night drive but we don’t care either, and it certainly doesn’t subtract from the slender plot which wisely concentrates on his movie-long rampage. Familiar TV character actor Burr DeBenning is West’s friend/doctor/pursuer Ted Nelson, and for you chick-dicks in the crowd, both blond model-actress Cheryl “Rainbeaux” Smith (LASERBLAST, UP IN SMOKE, PARASITE, who, sadly, died last year from hepatitis) and low-budget scream-queen Janus Blythe (Ruby from THE HILLS HAVE EYES) show up as near-victims.

I managed to see TIMM in the theater back in 1977 when it first appeared and, for some reason, I seem to remember it being a lot gorier then, but I could be wrong, I was only 14 at the time and far more prone to emotion, especially after sneaking into an R-rated feature. I’m anxious to check out MGM’s upcoming DVD to see if there really is anything missing…

Shannafey
05-05-2003, 07:46 PM
I haven't seen anything about MGM releasing the dvd. When is it coming out? It's going to be unrated?

Hellbilly
05-05-2003, 08:31 PM
I thought Synapse is releasing this?

dwatts
05-05-2003, 09:02 PM
Huh, well, I tried to trade the DVD of this on the trade section, and no-one wanted it. This one is played for laughs in the vein of Dead Alive/Bad Taste.

Rock
05-05-2003, 09:12 PM
I stand corrected, Hellbilly, Synapse NOT MGM is planning on releasing TIMM late 2003.

Hellbilly
05-05-2003, 09:23 PM
Great review Rock http://www.horrordvds.com/vbulletin/images/icons/icon14.gif
I also watched TIMM in a theater back then, a few years after it's original release. Haven't seen it ever since so I'm really looking forward to that DVD.

Zodiac-Mindwarp
05-05-2003, 09:46 PM
Great review Rock.

I have never seen this movie, but after reading this review it is clearly something that I am going to want to watch, and maybe buy, after it comes out on DVD.

Shannafey
05-05-2003, 09:52 PM
I actually made a vcd of it, when I taped it off the Movie Channel a few months ago, but I might buy the dvd anyway, since it's a fun film.

Rock
05-05-2003, 10:35 PM
Shannafey, since you've seen the movie, can I ask you a question about a scene therein? As a warning to those that haven't seen it, my question may spoil an early scene for you so don't read on (I don't know how to hide the text):

Does your copy show West actually attacking the fat nurse who flees the hospital?

Shannafey
05-06-2003, 04:32 AM
No, Rock, it doesn't.

dwatts
05-06-2003, 10:53 AM
No - neither does the DVD I have.

Rock
05-06-2003, 04:19 PM
Thanks for responding, you two...

Dwatts, do you have Vipco's PAL Region 2 disc? It says "Uncut" on the cover...I'm just trying to figure out if the fat nurse's death scene was cut from most versions (and might be restored on Synapse's DVD)...

dwatts
05-06-2003, 05:25 PM
yes - it is the Vipco one. yes it is - apparently - uncut. Not sure about the scene, not familiar enough with this film (which I REALLY did not like.)

Mortis
05-06-2003, 10:34 PM
Use {spoiler}text here{/spoiler}, except use []s instead of {}s.

Like this.

Originally posted by Rock
As a warning to those that haven't seen it, my question may spoil an early scene for you so don't read on (I don't know how to hide the text):

Rock
05-07-2003, 04:18 PM
You mean like this? just place the text between brackets, thanks, Mortis!

The scene I've been referring to takes place in the hospital after West has awakened and torn the bandages away from his face...in a mirror, he sees what a gelatinous mess he's become and becomes enraged...then the fat nurse enters the room, sees him, screams and runs down a long corridor, bursts through a glass door and across an empty parking lot...West pursues her with his bloody, gooey hands outstretched...and the scene ends. We are then shown her body on a morgue table with Dr. Nelson covering her torn face with a sheet, briefly discussing how she was killed, where West might be at...

My belief is that the nurse's murder was shown during the film's original theatrical release and cut since...I could be wrong...Synapse's DVD may provide the answer later this year...'nuff said...moving on...thanks all for your comments/patience!

Daniel B
05-26-2003, 03:48 AM
Great review! I like that movie a lot!!! Very original

fceurich39
05-08-2009, 04:14 AM
i really wish mgm would release this on dvd already!

SaviniFan
05-08-2009, 05:00 AM
I'd buy this in a heartbeat if it was finally released, but in the meantime I have a very good bootleg DVD-R to get me by.

AndresG
05-08-2009, 05:58 AM
http://i12.tinypic.com/4yjsxu1.jpg

I'd buy it in a heartbeat too, got a decent vhs rip but would love to see this finally and properly released on DVD!

fceurich39
05-09-2009, 01:41 AM
i hear the mgm vhs is pretty good i'll probably just get that since i don't think any midnite movies is coming out in 2009

vampyr789
05-09-2009, 04:36 AM
is this worth watching? i have heard some mixed comments from this? it looks pretty cool...

maybrick
05-09-2009, 04:41 AM
It's great! In a completely terrible way, of course.

vampyr789
05-09-2009, 04:53 AM
It's great! In a completely terrible way, of course.

lol sounds like something i would like! :D

maybrick
05-09-2009, 04:56 AM
lol sounds like something i would like! :D

Trust me: You haven't seen ANYTHING until you've seen the sun through the rings of Saturn!

HellRazor
05-09-2009, 07:09 AM
(Cut to stock footage space shot that in no way matches the film stock of the preceding scene)

SaviniFan
05-09-2009, 12:32 PM
So you didn't buy any crackers?