PDA

View Full Version : Death Wish 1 and 2

robman795
05-06-2003, 09:09 AM
So I was wondering what does everyone think of these films? I orderd the uncut region 4 box set featuring the first two films. I havent seen many Charles Bronson films I think I saw a few of his films when I was 4. Also Michael Winner did part 1 so Im looking forward to that, and everthing I read for part 2 says its just violent trash which I should enjoy. Also other then the death wish films what other Bronson films are worth checking out?

dwatts
05-06-2003, 11:50 AM
I remember the first one being a bit cheesy, and they went downhill FAST. If I can remember right - Deathwish 4 is so bad you'll die laughing.

speanroc
05-06-2003, 02:52 PM
if this is the box set from brazil you shouldn't be dissapionted

this will feature from what i hear the UNCUT version of death wish 2,
the first film is the same as the version released here.

which in my opinion has one of the nastiest rape scenes in history

death wish 2 was HEAVILY CUT when released back in 1982

and up until this dvd box set ,and the original greek pre record
these were the only uncut versions

the only thing the boxset may be missing is some dialog, but it
has all the violence and rape scenes intact.

if you love this film(death wish 2) you won't be disappionted.

speanroc
05-06-2003, 02:58 PM
here what is missing from the u.s. prints

Alternate Versions for
Death Wish II (1982)

* In the 1994 GoodTimes Home Video Release, a brief scene of Kersey's daughter spitting blood after she commits suicide is cut.

* The most heavy censored title in the series, few countries have seen this uncut. The UK version suffered just under 3 minutes of cuts, it was re-edited for the scene between Kersey's daughter and Cutter; with BBFC cuts the scene would have jumped from him rubbing her leg to him finishing having sex with her subsequently a scene where Jill Ireland finds an unconscious Bronson was added inbetween (in the full version this scene follows the death of Kersey's daughter). The infamous scene between Rosario and the muggers suffered the following cuts:
* The shot of Rosario's knickers being removed was briefly cut.
* The shot of Cutter licking her and her reaction is missing.
* A view of Jiver removing his trousers is missing as is the cut-aways to him having subsequent sex with Rosario (the UK version renders this scene a series of reaction shots between the rest of the gang).
* The bedroom scene between Rosario, Cutter, Punkcut and Stomper cuts away just after she is on the bed, the uncut version offers several topless shots and sex scenes with Punkcut and Cutter.
* After Jiver has said "don't worry he'll come" the British version cuts to head shots (presumably outtakes) of two to the gang, the uncut version cuts to Stomper having sex with Rosario.
* When Nirvana walks into the room the British version cuts away, the uncut version follows it on with rosario crawling across the floor and him removing his trousers.
* The death of Rosario is missing several shots of her falling to and spasming on the floor.

* It's worth noting that at least three different versions of the scene between Rosario and the muggers appear to exist. A tame version prepared for American TV which uses takes that avoid nudity. The British version which uses outtakes not found in the uncut version (mostly banter between Nirvana and Jiver in the living room) to soft over some of the British censors cuts, while shots in the British version are less explicit than the uncut version (ie shots of Rosario on the bed, and Rosario's corpse shot). Although about 3 mins. longer, an uncut version which is available on tape in Greece and was once shown accidently on Irish TV is poorly edited and underscored giving speculation to it being sourced for a pre-release workprint.

* The rape scene was cut to avoid an "X" rating in the U.S. The uncut print is available on VSoM.

* The version shown by Channel Five television (UK) in March 2002 was significantly edited to remove almost all of the infamous scene between Rosaria and the youth gang.

* The Brazilian DVD and French video versions include all of the violent footage cut from the English and American videos but do not include the 3 minutes of narative footage found on the poor quality Greek video.

* The uncensored version has aired in Canada on the MoviePix cable network.

* The R-rated US version has cut both the rape scenes. While only the more violent aspects of the maid's rape scene were cut, the daughter's rape scene (where she did not resist) was almost entirely cut except for the last few seconds. Also the daughter afterwards is shown jumping out the window but the US version cuts out the part where she gets impaled on a fence.

all courtesy of IMDB

S-10
05-06-2003, 06:49 PM
Robman,where did you order this set from?

robman795
05-06-2003, 07:50 PM
Hey Dude,
You can order the brazilian DVD boxset from Xploited Cinema, Its cheap too. Also nice avatar s-10 I've been watching alot of threes company lately.:banana:

hell ya!
05-06-2003, 10:44 PM
I love the Death Wish movies, Bronson kicks major ass! I really hope MGM will hurry up and release the sequels to DVD.

robman795
05-06-2003, 10:49 PM
I really hope MGM will hurry up and release the sequels to DVD.
Yeah that would be nice, I know part 5 is out on DVD. But parts 3 and 4 are no where to be seen.

Mark Relford
05-07-2003, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by robman795
what other Bronson films are worth checking out?

Ten To Midnight and Kinjite: Forbidden Subjects are worth checking out. Ten To Midnight has a naked serial killer with a grudge against women and Kinjite deals with underage prostitution. These sleazy movies are out on DVD.
Check this out: Ten To Midnight Thread (http://www.horrordvds.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1966/)
Death Wish 3 rocks!:D I love this cartoonish sequel! It's right up there with Cobra.

hell ya!
05-07-2003, 01:37 AM
Some of Bronson's best are: Breakheart Pass, Breakout, Hard Times, The Mechanic, Mr. Majestyk

Some good ones are: 10 to Midnight, Kinjite: Forbidden Subjects, Murphy's Law, Messenger of Death(not much action but still a very enjoyable movie, underrated!) and Chato's Land

Some ok ones are: Evil That Men Do, Violent City(i got to watch this one again), Assassination.

Some great movies but Bronson isn't the MAIN star: Dirty Dozen, Great Escape and The Magnificent Seven. All great movies none the less, especially The Great Escape!

robman795
05-07-2003, 01:57 AM
The Great Escape and The Magnificent Seven are classics mag7 is one of my favorite films out there.

The Chaostar
05-07-2003, 03:11 AM
Indian Runner.;)

mcchrist
05-07-2003, 06:32 AM
All the Death Wish movies fucking rule, man! Geez, Part 4 is my favorite when he practically shoots someone in the face with a rocket launcher!!!

HAHAHAHA!!!!

:banana:

robman795
05-07-2003, 06:41 AM
that sounds cool MC. Actually I want to put a scene in one of my short films where my character shoots a rocket into someones face it jams into there eye then ......... 5 seconds later it blow up. It just takes a watermelon and some fire work to do oh yeah and one of thoes poster tubes some spray paint and a can. Also I just got and e-mail from Tony Simonelli from Xploited Cinema

hi!
the DEATH WISH 1/2 Set is back in stock and is shipping out tomorrow.

Thanks for your patience!!

Tony Simonelli
I can't wait.

Mortado
05-07-2003, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by Mark Relford
Ten To Midnight and Kinjite: Forbidden Subjects are worth checking out.

Shit, it's been a long time since I've seen Ten to Midnight.

"My name is Pedro, that means Peter and I have the biggest one in all Meyheeco!"

fatclown
05-07-2003, 07:37 AM
I thought Death Wish 3 was the most violent. I remember it receive an X rating but was trim to receive the profitable R rating.

rhett
05-07-2003, 04:49 PM
I watched the first DEATH WISH a couple weeks ago, and I loved it. It was so much more than just a cheap exploitation flick, and there were some really powerful moments. The rape in that film was pretty gritty and tough to watch. I found it to be an excellent commentary on 70's society and the nature of violence and crime. The DVD from Paramount has a great looking transfer, I highly recommend everyone watch at least the first film.

I've heard the rest are much worse than the first, but I am willing to at least give part two a chance.

Yowie
05-07-2003, 11:58 PM
According to this BlackStar link, "Death Wish 2" comes to R2 in widescreen on May 26th - from Columbia Tri-Star of all places !. No one should be surprised if it's cut, but to my mind it's the first release in widescreen, certainly anamorphic (which it'll probably be).

http://www.blackstar.co.uk/video/item/7000000079009

Joel Groce
05-08-2003, 10:41 AM
Yeah I love "Death Wish" - almost picked it up yesterday - with a great score by Herbie Hancock. Also check out "The Stone Killer" - another fantastic soundtrack! And of course "The Mechanic" is killer...

shift
05-08-2003, 03:34 PM
I just want all 5 death Wish movies on DvD dammit!! :)

The Chaostar
05-08-2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by mcchrist
All the Death Wish movies fucking rule, man! Geez, Part 4 is my favorite when he practically shoots someone in the face with a rocket launcher!!!

HAHAHAHA!!!!

:banana:

Wasn't that the ending of part III? Or was it a bazooka?
Can't believe I'm writing this...

mcchrist
05-08-2003, 11:09 PM
Hahahaha, who cares! Just watch em all and get wasted!

S-10
06-16-2003, 09:35 AM
http://www.dvdrama.net/fiche.php?3129 <--- That version is 16X9,but I can't tell if it says it's uncut.The translation sites always make the sites read like jibberish.

robman795
06-16-2003, 09:49 AM
Hmmm that set looks interesting, the menues are the same as the ones from the brazilian boxset. Personally to me for the DW films on DVD it doesent really matter to me if there in widescreen or fullscreen. I just like having them on DVD. Part 3 is out on DVD but its a german lang. only version. One of my friends a great guy by the name of David Holt is putting parts 3 and 4 onto DVDR and hes going to send me some copies of the DVDR. There both going to be copied from the US VHS'S.

Falchi
06-16-2003, 10:02 AM
The new Euro DW 1+2 versions are exactly the same as the R4 but 16x9 1.85

hassan chaup
06-16-2003, 02:21 PM
wasn't that the ending of part 3 chaostar

Yep, it was. That movie also had the all time worst haircut for a villian in film history. The capable actor Gavan O'Herlihy had to wear a reverse mohawk throughout that flick. Just a shaved strip down the middle of his head. Poor bastard.Keep an eye out in part 3 for a young Alex Winter as a thug in the gang too. Bill and Ted never had adventures like these.:fire:

r_burgos2003
06-16-2003, 03:03 PM
It's hard to watch any rape film but the series is actually pretty good. You feel so upset then Brosnan just comes at'cha with some serious anger problems.Great.

The Chaostar
06-16-2003, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by hassan chaup
Bill and Ted never had adventures like these.:fire:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

hell ya!
06-16-2003, 05:45 PM
:eek1: :lol: :lol: :lol: