PDA

View Full Version : Fearless Vampire Killers, Brazilian Dvd

Vasilis
05-07-2003, 03:11 PM
Finally one of the most anticipated movies arrived on dvd. This is the 1967 classic vampire comedy directed by roman polanski

The story follows the adventures of Professor Ambronsius, (played by Jack MacGowran of the exorcist ) and his assistant Alfred ( played by Polanski Himself ) in their search to locate and destroy vampires. They travel to a Transylvanian village, only to find that a local village has been terorized by an aristocratic Count Von Crolock and his horde of vampires. Of course they try to kill them, with some hilarius results.

For some reason fvk was heavily cut in the States, and also an alternative opening sequence was added.
This dvd features the uncut european edition with all the missing scenes intact. (thank god!!)

Video quality

This is a region 0 Ntsc disc presented in widescreen (2.35:1). The print appears to have been mastered by a slightly used vhs tape, (i don't think there has been any remastering, since it looks to have been ported directly from vhs). There are plenty of blemishes and speckles throughout the entire film and also some print damage. The colors are a bit faded, and the movie is generally dark. The quality is acceptable but not up to the standards of modern dvds.

Rating : 2.5/5

Sound Quality

There are two soundtracks on the disc. A dolby digital 5.1, and a stereo. In fact there're almost identical. After watching the movie in dd i noticed the activity of the surrounds was minimal if any, the dialogues were clear to follow, but there where plenty of cracks pops and hissing sounds. I guess not much of a cleaning job was done when remastering the sound. Anyway the sound on the disc is ok , not anything to leave you impressed.

Rating : 3/5

Extras

There are plenty of extras on the disc. There are biographies and filmographies of the cast, also the alternative opening sequence of the Us release, photographs, and also the case states that there are some easter eggs to be found, but i didn't check them out yet. The design of the menus is pretty good.

Rating : 3.5/5

Overall

This is a great film by Roman Polanski and one of my all time favorites. There's no other dvd edition of fvk, and the fact that this disc is the director's cut, makes it a must have for all. Damn i like this movie so much i would have bought even if it was full frame with a pakistan soundtrack.:banana:

Rock
05-07-2003, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the review, Vitalis, I've got it on order...and I've still got a massive crush on Sharon Tate...

dwatts
05-08-2003, 11:55 AM
Thank God, someone finally got it!

Hm, I am in two minds though. Not sure if I'll bother with this one, or continue the eternal wait for someone - anyone - to do the film justice.

ps: What's the freaking point of an easter egg if they TELL you there's one on the back of the box?

Vasilis
05-08-2003, 12:56 PM
I found the hidden easter egg. It's some nice pictures of Sharon Tate, damn she was one hot lady. :banana:

Daniel B
05-26-2003, 03:47 AM
Very nice to know that Brazilian version has such advantages as I happen to live in Brazil:):):):) - And I didn't know it!!!!!!

dwatts
05-26-2003, 10:39 AM
I think it's the ONLY version - isn't it?

Vasilis
05-26-2003, 09:41 PM
Yeap it's the only version on dvd :glasses:

Dave
06-02-2003, 09:48 PM
For some reason fvk was heavily cut in the States, and also an alternative opening sequence was added.
This dvd features the uncut european edition with all the missing scenes intact. (thank god!!)

I'm fairly certain the laserdisc I own, which I'm selling, is the extended, uncut version.

I dunno, this movie just didn't do much for me. I am going to rewatch the laserdisc and review it for the site (expect that probably this weekend, actually), as I'm a firm believer in giving movies a second viewing before making up ones mind completely.

Vasilis
06-03-2003, 11:14 AM
I think you're right Dave. I believe the laserdisc is indeed uncut :)