PDA

View Full Version : Deep Star Six (R2)

Hellbilly
05-07-2003, 08:17 PM
"Save Your Last Breath... To Scream!"

Heh, I'm allergic to seafood and Sean S. Cunningham's "crabby" attempt to cash in on James Cameron's The Abyss success almost provoked an allergy attack :D

Ok, Deep Star 6 is the name of a nuclear base located 6 miles underneath the ocean, with a crew getting ready heading home after 6 months of hard work (wow: 666. how clever! gotta give some credit to the screenwriter here).

Things could have run smoothly but after nuking the ocean floor they set free a giant and very hungry crab (I think it was a crab, not sure) - and soon the crew of the Deep Star Six are in Deep Deep Shit!

It takes about an hour till the guzzling begins and when it finally happens you almost lost your appetite anyway: Deep Star Sux doesn't got any bite!

Cheap sets, so-so action, no atmosphere and a talented actor wasted: Miguel "The Night Flyer" Ferrer is a cool actor but his uneven performance is kinda embarrassing.
"Singer-Turned-Actress" Nia Peebles (?) talks so fast you can't hardly understand what the fuck she's saying - and, um, let's not forget Marius Weyers (??), a hack who speaks with a strange foreign tongue: one of the weirdest accents I've ever heard.
The only one doing a decent job (besides Cindy "Ferris Bueller's Mom" Pickett) was that huge ass killer crab (or shrimp?). He looked kinda cool - reminded me of that headsucking worm in From Beyond.

Not a great film (Cunningham should have been used as fish-bait after this :eek2: ) but not the worst either. Makes a neat double feature with the (slightly) better Leviathan though.

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B00005O082.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

How's the DVD? Great!
German Company Kinowelt gives us a neat little SE here.
When you pop in the disc you get the option to chose between a German language or English language Disc Menu.

Video is excellent! Crisp & clean: A very nice looking 16:9 enhanced 2.35:1 Widescreen transfer. Strong colors but I did notice a little edge enhancement.

Audio (English) is ok and supposed to be 2.0 Surround but I hardly noticed any activity from the surround speakers though.

Extras include the Theatrical Trailer, 3 Making-of's and behind-the-scenes featurettes (about 3 or 4 minutes each), slide show and a Audio Commentary by Director Sean S. Cunningham & his pal James Isaacs. I didn't have any time to check out the commentary track, except for the first 10 minutes.
They talked about 5 minutes and then nothing .... 3 minutes of silence ... until they continued ...

rhett
05-07-2003, 08:40 PM
I enjoy the cheese quotient in Cunningham's films, and DEEP STAR SIX is no exception. Not a great film by any means, but I had a fun time with it. Cunningham needs to go back and start up directing again. How about SPRING BREAK 2? :D

Nice review, hellmasta.

DefJeff
05-07-2003, 08:50 PM
awesome, hilarious review!

i've only seen this movie once and i didnt care for it at all

Hellbilly
05-10-2003, 08:27 PM
Thanks!

You know rhett, I really need to watch Spring Break again after reading your review at imdb.
I wish Columbia would release a Cunningham Double Feature of Spring Break & The New Kids on DVD.
That would be cool. :banana:

Zodiac-Mindwarp
05-10-2003, 08:35 PM
Nice review HB!

I kind of enjoyed this Abyss rip off when I saw it some years back, but probably not enough to hunt down the German disc, and since the American version is full screen it looks like this DVD will most likely never make it into my collection.

Midnight Buddha
05-10-2003, 08:47 PM
The same dvd is available here in the uk, and it`s cheap.

Zodiac-Mindwarp
05-12-2003, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the tip Midnight Buddha.

I will have to add this to my wish list for my order from England, when I finally get enough cash put together to get a "good" order from there. :D

Derrick Howes
05-25-2003, 10:48 AM
If it can be called that, it only lasts about 15 minutes and is spread over the entire film, a shame, because when they do speak it is quite entertaining. Apart from that the DVD is quite good, especially for the small amount of change it is available for. Personally I prefer LEVIATHAN by George P.Cosmatos, it is a shame the DVD doesn't feature one of his great commentaries.