PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about...Battle Royale

Paff
05-08-2003, 12:21 AM
OK, you don't have to tell me how it is, since I watched it last night and I already know that it kicks serious ass.

BUT, the place I rented it from was a...less than scrupulous...Asian video store. Or to be more precise, it was a bootleg. The DVD cover (borderline Xerox quality) said there was a DTS track when there was none. The poorly designed menus were in Korean. But most of all, the English subtitles only came on about half the time. Luckily I understand enough Japanese to get by, but still...I'd rather have quality subs or none at all.

So, since I obviously need a copy of this in my DVD library, what are the different versions out there? Regions aren't important, since I have a region-free player. Do any versions have decent subtitles?

Deaddevilman
05-08-2003, 12:38 AM
I've got the Universe Laser & Video Co. version out of Hong Kong.
Dolby Digital, DTS, 5.1 Surrond, Close Caption, Region 3, Letter Boxed, 114 minutes. Audio 1 is stero, Audio 2 is 5.1 and Audio 3 is DTS. The subs were always there although I wouldn't say the translations were the greatest. I have yet to see a Japanese film with English subtitles that correctly translated more then 75% of the film. Case is point Devil's Experiment. That may have been 40% at tops. You can view my collection at http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=Dead%20Devil%20Man to see this versions cover.

aoiookami
05-08-2003, 01:23 AM
I just bought this version last week;
http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/pid-1002491296/did-0/code-j/section-videos/
its by Starmax, region free with english subtitles. 2-disk, directors cut with alternate endings and cut scenes, the second disk is all extras including making of, auditions, trailers etc.. Its 16:9, with 5.1 surround DTS, or 2.0 stereo. I dont know if they extras have subtitles, but the film's subtitles are great. So, I'm satisfied :D

Mortado
05-08-2003, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by aoiookami
I just bought this version last week;

*Snip*

I dont know if they extras have subtitles, but the film's subtitles are great. So, I'm satisfied :D

No subs on the extras but I thought it was well worth the money regardless.

DVD Connoisseur
05-08-2003, 06:51 PM
Paff, you're best going for the recent S.E. re-release from Tartan. Although I have the Universe R3 version on my shelf, all the feedback I've seen indicates that the Tartan R2 2 disc version is the definitive (and extended) version.

Alternatively, Tartan's R0 NTSC release is also a beauty.

Check out www.play.com for specs on the various releases. You'll be spoilt for choice!

X-human
05-12-2003, 09:09 PM
This website compares most of the legal versions along with common illegal ones.

http://www.battleroyalefilm.com/

Deaddevilman
05-13-2003, 02:03 AM
X, thanks for that link. Turns out I own a bootleg versions. I knew those subtitles were to good to be released from Japan! That gives me a reason to pick another one up.

Paff
06-12-2003, 06:46 AM
Today, I was at SecondSpin, a pretty generic used DVD store, and they had a copy of Battle Royale, for $12. I thought it was a bootleg, since it claims to be region 3 but plays fine on my region 1 player. Also, the DTS track advertised is not there.

But, according to the site X-Human linked, it's a legal region 0 copy. It's definitely better than the other bootleg version I rented, but I'm still gonna try to get one of those Tartan discs you guys talk about. This one'll do for the time being though.

DVD Zombie
06-13-2003, 10:14 PM
After hearing everyone around here talk about the greatness of this flick, I decided to give it a spin last night. Wow. It's easily in my top ten movies of all time, now. Unfortunately, I got the version where the subtitles aren't always there, so there are a few chunks of dialogue that I missed out on. I can't wait to get a better copy and see it again.

~Zombie

Paff
06-14-2003, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by DVD Zombie
After hearing everyone around here talk about the greatness of this flick, I decided to give it a spin last night. Wow. It's easily in my top ten movies of all time, now. Unfortunately, I got the version where the subtitles aren't always there, so there are a few chunks of dialogue that I missed out on. I can't wait to get a better copy and see it again.

~Zombie

Which disc did you watch? Check out the website above and check out which one. I rented the first disc they show (a definite bootleg), and the subs were pretty much missing. Eiga o wakaru no wa totemo muzukashikatta desu.....oops, I mean understanding the movie was quite difficult.

The one I just bought was a LOT better for subs, especially for a region 0 disc.

DVD Zombie
06-14-2003, 05:05 AM
Originally posted by Paff
Which disc did you watch? Check out the website above and check out which one. I rented the first disc they show (a definite bootleg), and the subs were pretty much missing. Eiga o wakaru no wa totemo muzukashikatta desu.....oops, I mean understanding the movie was quite difficult.

The one I just bought was a LOT better for subs, especially for a region 0 disc.

I think it's a bootleg, cause it isn't listed there at all. The company that put it out is Unit World Movie Inc. The cover is very similar to the Universe edition. The audio is DD5.1, the case advertises DTS, but it's not there. There are no features on the disc at all. Not even a trailer. As far as image quality goes, it's a relatively crisp anamorphic transfer, a little too washed out at times, but it's leaps and bounds above most of my Asian discs.

I think I'm gonna get the Korean 2 disc set, since I'm limited to Region 1/0 NTSC, and my player isn't progressive scan. I don't mind badly translated subs, so long as they're there when I need 'em.

~Zombie

ZombieDrummer
06-16-2003, 09:34 PM
i love this film so much, its actually really really sad, i red some of the in depth character analysis' at www.battleroyaleonline.com and it make it even sadder!