PDA

View Full Version : Ichi the killer

DeathDealer
02-08-2003, 01:14 AM
I am so excited about this one. Oh man I'm I excited. Does any one have any dvd menus for the film or how th back looks or something. :banana: :banana: :banana:

SaviniFan
02-08-2003, 01:52 AM
God I can't stress enough how much I love this movie! Ichi the Killer is A-W-E-S-O-M-E!! How about an uncut region 1 SE?? I'd like to someday retire my VCD.

Hernster
02-08-2003, 12:09 PM
I'm getting the 2 disc Dutch release.

But.

So far 2 people on different Forums, who claim they own their copies have different idea's as to what is on the Discs... :eek2:

One claims there is a Commentry, the other claims not.

I'll post here when I receive my copy.

:confused:

Jaffe
02-08-2003, 05:51 PM
This probably belongs in the Asian Horror Forum, but anyway.

Here's the specs according to a guy that received the DVD. He lives in the Netherlands (where the disc was released) therefore I'm sure this is the true specs.

-video interview with the director
-video interview with the cast
biographies of the cast
-filmographies
-film notes
-original trailer
-european promo
-original japanese press kit
-takashi miike interview
-storyboard
-behind the scenes
-production stills
-campaign artwork
-photo gallery

languages: japanese english
subtitles: french english dutch
16:9 anamorphic widescreen
feature length: 124 min

Jaffe

DeathDealer
02-08-2003, 06:30 PM
This will interesting to find.

Evil Disco Guy
02-08-2003, 07:31 PM
From what I know, the 2 disc Dutch release isn't out yet and no review copies have been issued. That means it's impossible to prove what is on the disc, so don't listen to anyone. There is a Dutch rental DVD out which I know many online stores were selling a bit ago (as well as some shops), no two disc release though. We're just going to have to believe what the official Ichi DVD site tells us and that still lists the commentary track as being on the two disc edition.

KillerCannabis
02-09-2003, 02:27 AM
So, the Dutch release is going to (apparently) be the uncut version with English subs, correct? Because if thats the case, then I'm sure thats the version of the film I want.

DeathDealer
02-09-2003, 04:52 AM
Yep. That's the best one out there. And it's Uncut . And I am going to get that one.

DeathDealer
02-09-2003, 05:11 AM
Oh, and is this film any good. Just to make sure, becasue you can never be sure. :)

rxfiend
02-09-2003, 07:42 AM
the film is great! i have an uncut bootleg dvd of this film (which has commentary and interviews, but are useless since they're in japanese..lol) and it's just one of the goriest movies you'll see! not really horror, but kind of like Riki Oh.

KillSwitch
02-09-2003, 07:27 PM
I thought the uncut version was 128 Minutes long?

Nick

DeathDealer
02-09-2003, 09:46 PM
Hey guys there are like so many versions of the dvd when you go to http://www.dvdaficionado.com/ and on the serach you write down ichi you get like three different ones. What's up with that.

rxfiend
02-09-2003, 10:19 PM
my uncut DVD is 128 mins. i wonder if the 124 mins could be due to the PAL / NTSC issue (since PAL is slightly faster).

Jaffe
02-09-2003, 11:28 PM
I'm quite sure you're wrong Evil Disco Guy... I'm quite sure that the 2-disc release of Ichi the Killer has been released. Every site I've been to has changed their Availability from Pre-order to 'In Stock'.

And none of the sites I've been to have listed a commentary included. But I haven't received mine yet, so I'll let everyone know when I get it.

Jaffe

DeathDealer
02-09-2003, 11:57 PM
Jaffe, Where did you get yours from.

Bods
02-10-2003, 12:53 AM
I know a few people who have recieved it, and there are no commentaries on the disc.

Jaffe
02-10-2003, 11:52 PM
I ordered mine from Directvideo.com only because it's a Canadian based website, and I live in Canada (and don't want to deal with shipping across the border... paying $10 extra once is enough).

It's also available at Hkflix.com and Pokerindustries.com (within the US).

Btw, like I said, I haven't received mine yet, but I'm positive it's released.

Jaffe

napalm68
02-11-2003, 10:16 PM
I ordered mine from LFVW.com, and haven't heard anything yet.

mcchrist
02-11-2003, 11:15 PM
I ordered mine from LFVW.com, and haven't heard anything yet.

I've ordered through Luminous Films before and while I didn't have any problems with them, I doubt I'd use them again.

Numania
02-11-2003, 11:37 PM
I thought this movie was highly unimpressive.

napalm68
02-12-2003, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by mcchrist
I've ordered through Luminous Films before and while I didn't have any problems with them, I doubt I'd use them again.

Why's that? I'm getting worried now...

mcchrist
02-13-2003, 02:42 AM
No biggie, they just never informed my when my package was shipped. I got it in a timly manner and all, I just wasn't notified. That's a red flag, a small one, but enough for me to look elsewhere. I shouldn't say anything though, because I've been guilty of this myself a couple of times.

robman795
02-13-2003, 03:36 AM
I really liked this release of Ichi The slip case looks great. But I like my japan region 2 version better. The making of on it is about an hour long.

DeathDealer
02-13-2003, 04:37 AM
Hey Robman, could you be able to tell us if the disc has a commentry track on it.

robman795
02-13-2003, 08:19 AM
The japan region 2 uncut without subs version does have a commentary but sadly nothing on either dvd is subbed. On the new 2 disk se Dutch release there is no commentary and the extras are not as good as the japan region 2 version but atleast the dutch version has a subbed uncut version on it.

napalm68
02-13-2003, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by mcchrist
No biggie, they just never informed my when my package was shipped. I got it in a timly manner and all, I just wasn't notified. That's a red flag, a small one, but enough for me to look elsewhere. I shouldn't say anything though, because I've been guilty of this myself a couple of times.

Ah, that's cool. I did email him about an address change just after I posted it, and FRED responded pretty promptly.

So I guess from what you are saying, it may already be en-route...:)

DeathDealer
02-13-2003, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by robman795
The japan region 2 uncut without subs version does have a commentary but sadly nothing on either dvd is subbed. On the new 2 disk se Dutch release there is no commentary and the extras are not as good as the japan region 2 version but atleast the dutch version has a subbed uncut version on it.

Man, that is really bad news for us.

DeathDealer
02-14-2003, 12:07 AM
Oh and dpes it have any behind the scenes footage and a press kit. And how does the flim look with the quality and everything.

Disco Stu
02-15-2003, 04:08 AM
I also orderded it from LFVW.com with much trepidation having met the guy at the Chiller Theatre convention in NJ about a year ago. I had planned to buy the Malata N996 from him, but he was so rude and condescending that I ended up waiting and buying the Malata 520 at a local video store. I only ordered Ichi from him because at the time it was $19.95.

I decided that because I was going to have to pay shipping on Ichi I might as well as get something else at the same time and so I orderded another item. My invoice stated that I was only to pay one shipping charge. That DVD showed up with a damaged case and disc and I called him to ask what he wanted to do. I also asked him that since he sent out the other disc, I assumed I didn't have to pay shipping for Ichi as well considering that that was the only reason I orderded it in the first place. He told me that I would have to pay shipping twice, despite the fact that my invoice said otherwise, that I was supposed to have told him that I wanted them sent at the same time. He also said that it was not his fault that the disc was damaged (the plastic was also open), and that I would basically have to eat the purchase.

After much argument, I convinced him that that was a little unfair, how was I supposed to know that I had to write a seperate note, even though it was his system that told me I had to only pay one shipping charge? He agreed to letting me send it back and refunding me the price and the shipping (I pushed to make him pay for my shipping it back to him, but I don't know if he intended that part), although he complained a lot about the fact that I was getting Ichi at cost for him, as if it's my fault that he decided to price it that low.

When I shipped it back I made sure I paid for delivery confirmation, so he could not claim that he never got it. I also wrote a very detailed note regarding our conversation and put it in the package. He received it almost three weeks ago and I have yet to receive a credit on my credit card statement.

When I called to ask whether or not he had received it (just seeing if he would lie about it), he said "well we get a lot of packages, so I don't know." I tried to give him my name so he could look up my account but he hung up on me before I got a chance.

The other reason I had made that call (this was Monday the 10th), was that I still hadn't gotten Ichi (I live in NY and so it only takes one day to receive packages via priority mail instate) and that checking my account it said that it still hadn't shipped. He told me that all the Ichi's had shipped within the last four days.

When I called back the next day (Feb. 11), I was finally given a chance to tell him my name so he could look up my order. Even though his website said differently, he insisted that my order had been shipped already. I finally got it yesterday, the postmark was February 12th.

Sorry to ramble on, but I figured I ought to share my story as a warning to others. From now on, I'm sticking to HKflix, benson's world and ebay for non-R1 purchases.

Oh, and the packaging on the Ichi set was worth it alone, even if the extras were not as extensive as advertised. No commentaries are evident, although perhaps we should tell that to www.ichithekiller.com who still lists a commentary (without specification as to who's giving the commentary) as a feature.

mcchrist
02-15-2003, 05:11 AM
:nervous: Fuck Luminous man, I'd be blasting caps! :fire:

DeathDealer
02-15-2003, 06:25 AM
I have been Hearing some stuff on This comapny Called Media Blasters. That are going to release Ichi on R1. Could someone explain when its coming out.

napalm68
02-15-2003, 09:13 AM
Hmm, so LFVW have probably sent mine... Just no shipping notice. So maybe in a couple of weeks to Australia...

DeathDealer
02-15-2003, 09:22 PM
Do you guys know where there is a website that shows miike news and other things about him.

DeathDealer
02-22-2003, 02:55 AM
KFFC Cinema have said Premier Asia are going to release Ichi on a 2 Disc Set with a DTS Track. And Media Blasters are releasing one to. I am going to hold back and wait to see which one is the best to get.

slinker
03-09-2003, 07:23 AM
I just viewed the 2 Disc set and its the first time ive seen the movie, WOW is all i can say.... it was fucking fantastic, i havent seen an asian film this good in ages.. although i probably had a tough time understanding everything that goes on but boy what a ride!
:D

Disco Stu
03-09-2003, 10:44 PM
I should give an update on my lfvw.com situation. They finally (after 3 emails and 2 phone messagea) refunded my money yesterday on the other disc I orderded. It only took 6 weeks.

KillerCannabis
03-11-2003, 08:34 AM
Ok, I just saw this today (my friend got the 2-disc R2) and it was fucking awesome. I dont think I've seen a film like that in a looonng time. It had all the gore I could ever want and the characters kicked ass. Kakihara was easily one of the coolest "villains" I've ever seen. Everything about this flick made me salivate. I immediately ordered this 2-disc set at Poker Ind. Glad to see its uncut, cause I can only imagine how badly cut it is in some areas.

Ichi
05-13-2003, 02:46 PM
Anyone seen this fine looking piece of asian cinema? God Damn, it kicks ass. Tadanobu Asano simply takes me breath away. Sex, gore, special effects, a good story... what more can you ask for?

SaviniFan
05-13-2003, 03:24 PM
I'm sure there are already a million threads on this if you do a search, but yes, I've seen it and it's in my top ten favorites list. I'm sure you can tell by my avatar that I'm a fan.

DVD Connoisseur
05-17-2003, 01:51 AM
Just finished watching Ichi. Wow! This is a definite candidate for my film of the year, even though we're only in May.

The Dutch 2 disc set is a beauty - this is a great addition to any Asian collection. This is one hell of a fun (but dark) ride....very glossy, MTV-visuals with a great blend of ultra-violence....

As the UK version's going to be cut by around 3 minutes (!:eek1: ), this is an absolute must for those that are R2 compatible.

I cannot stress enough what a fantastic film this is....I certainly felt that it lived up to expectation.....

SaviniFan
11-21-2003, 07:43 PM
I just picked up the region 1 Media Blasters/Tokyo Shock Ichi the Killer:SE today. Man I have been wanting this DVD a loooooong time. I'll post my thoughts on this release later. And yes I'm aware that the 2 disc Dutch release is more packed with goodies but alas I'm not region free so this will do me just fine.

dwatts
01-03-2006, 06:48 AM
Hey Savinifan - where are those comments? :D

There are so many threads on Ichi, I randomly decided to post comments here.

I finally watched this over the weekend, although I've owned it for ages. I love Miike's work, though he obviously varies a lot in quality. He's never boring. Ichi isn't boring either, it has some style for sure.

I've got to tell you though, I really didn't like it all that much. I can't fathom why (not very useful I know), but the violence did nothing for me, and the I actually found myself getting a tad bored. Now sure, I'd watched Begotten an hour beforehand, maybe that just kills the power of Ichi, I don't know. At the moment this goes down into the "overrated" file. It's not terrible by any means, but it doesn't deserve its reputation. Another viewing would certainly help I suppose.

Oh, and the SS release in R1 - which is cheap enough - is quite poor. I know better versions are out there, I went R1 for convenience/price. That was a bit of a mistake. It's too dark, with poor colors.

For added hilarity - switch to the english dub :lol:

DeathDealer
01-03-2006, 07:15 AM
Hey Savinifan - where are those comments? :D

HAHAHA!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm hoping his thoughts are pretty good, considering the fact that he spent 3 years writing them. :banana:

I want good insight, yeah hear? :D

ArrowBeach
01-03-2006, 08:38 AM
How does the prequel ICHI-1 plays? I heard it wasn't as good as the first one.

othervoice1
12-24-2008, 03:46 PM
This is coming out on blu-ray in march 2009:
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Tokyo_Shock/Disc_Announcements/Ichi_the_Killer_to_Cut_Up_Blu-ray_this_March/2357

X-human
12-24-2008, 05:02 PM
I wonder how good the transfer will be. Anyone bother to pick up Dead Riot or Flesh of the Beast on Blu-ray from these guys?

geeare
03-27-2009, 06:35 PM
ICHI comes to blu this Tuesday. I'm stoked. I have never seen this flick. I became a fan of the genre a couple years ago around the time i got my PS3 so I've been waiting for Blu releases.

DeathDealer
03-31-2009, 04:08 AM
I hope its a great Blu-disc. Gonna be one of the first Miike films to get such a release, excluding DJANGO.

geeare
03-31-2009, 03:56 PM
I'm really looking forward to this but unfortunately i prolly won't find this in my town.

Rockmjd
03-31-2009, 04:04 PM
I'm not too trustworthy of Media Blasters' ability to not screw this up. Has anyone seen their other (few) BD releases?

geeare
03-31-2009, 08:22 PM
I'm not too trustworthy of Media Blasters' ability to not screw this up. Has anyone seen their other (few) BD releases?

YUP, looks like it's going the way of the others. Amazon now has a release date of Aug.11/09. shittay :fuck:

X-human
03-31-2009, 11:56 PM
YUP, looks like it's going the way of the others. Amazon now has a release date of Aug.11/09. shittay :fuck:

Yep it's been confirmed:Hi,

Thank you for your interest in our titles. Please be advised that while we have removed Ichi from our schedule for now, we still plan on releasing it. It will be released within the upcoming months, however, the date has yet to be solidified. Please keep your enthusiasm, as we will be putting it out soon. Thank you again for all your support.

Thank you,

Donna
Sales Department Manager
Media Blastershttp://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=1767723&postcount=17

I hope it's a good sign that they're trying to get the best possible release they can. Course most of it is probably out of their control.