PDA

View Full Version : question about LD picture quality

Blade
05-14-2003, 04:58 PM
I just got my first LD player. It's a Pioneer 2950, and it has everything I could wish for exept for DD 5.1. I hooked it up to my tv with a s-video cable. Now here's the thing:

I tried a couple of laserdiscs, including Star Wars and Starship Troopers, and I noticed that on all of them the black level of the video is wrong, it's more like grey. Is this because maybe the player has a brightness setting that is high at default? Or are the laserdiscs badly encoded (I don't think so)? Or something else? Both of my DVD players don't have this problem with the same tv settings. I will try to connect the player with a scart cable, see if that will help.

One more question: will an American LD remote work on my European player? I received a universal remote with my player, but it lacks alot of LD functions. There's a CLD106 remote available on Ebay, maybe that one would work on my player too?

Aceman
05-14-2003, 06:20 PM
The CLD106 will work! I own 3 Pioneer Ld players. The same controler works on all of them!

"Man....You come right out of a comic book!"

Blade
05-14-2003, 07:43 PM
Aceman, do you think a remote will work differently for European and American players? Is there a chance your remote won't work on my player?

Paff
05-14-2003, 09:12 PM
Try going with a composite cable. LD is a composite source. When you use a S-Video cable, you're using the comb filter in the player. When you use a composite cable, you use the comb filter in the TV. Most TVs nowadays have better comb filters.

I'm not familiar with that model of player, but with LD, picture quality is VERY player-dependent. Better players provide better quality. It's not like DVD where you don't need a top-of-the-line player to appreciate the quality of the format.

Blade
05-15-2003, 04:52 PM
I tried the composite cable, but the picture is the same, so black=grey, allthough this looks to be much less the case with the Star Wars Trilogy. I will test some more LD's this weekend...

Btw Paff, those things you say about better players providing better picture may be true, but it is my understanding that the 2950 is one of the best and feature rich European players available.

RNunez187
05-15-2003, 09:15 PM
Have you ever had your tv calibrated? A properly calibrated tv makes a huge difference.

Blade
05-15-2003, 10:02 PM
I don't think it needs to be calibrated, because the picture of tv programs, dvd and video games all look excellent. It's just the LD player that doesn't look right...

wago70
05-16-2003, 01:40 AM
It sounds like you need a calibration. Why not just pop in a THX disc (like T2 or Abyss) and work that function to re-set your TV black levels. Then, try watching the LD player again - there could be a difference.
True, LD players don't have the same black levels as DVD players, but the "gray" scale being so strong certainly is odd.

Paff
05-16-2003, 02:04 AM
Well, also don't ignore the possibility that the PLAYER may need alignment or calibration.
I don't know, since I've never seen an out-of-alignment player, so I don't know how it would affect the picture.

I checked the Laserdisc Archive, and the 2950 does look like a solid player. BUT, it's a very old one, made in 1993. If it's never been serviced, or it's been tossed about, it might need a little tuning up.

Blade
05-16-2003, 06:03 PM
I'm afraid that tuning the player would be out of the question, because there simply isn't any place to have that done over here in Holland, at least not near any place I live.