PDA

View Full Version : My Review of City Of Lost Children

KillSwitch
05-15-2003, 09:12 PM
Holy God!
Ok, City of Lost Children is set in a world unlike ours. It is always raining. People are weird. Wait a sec, that sounds close to ours, but anyway. This film is awesome. Its about this old man who can't dream. He is depressed and sad. He has 7 brothers (the clones) They resemble each other to a T. (all played by the same actor) Anyway, he kidnaps children in hopes of finding out a way to steal there dreams so he can dream. They do manage to do this, but the children only have nightmares and never happy dreams. One of these kidnapped children is the little brother of ONE (Ron Perlman) He sets out to find his brother along with the help of a little girl. The little girl is part of a group of kids who go around stealing (they are taught to steal by these siamese twin girls) Anyway, the story is kinda complicated. It may take a couple of viewings to understand what everyones purpose is in the film. Other characters we meet are the Cyclops, they see through the use of a "third" eye. There is a guy who lives underwater and collects junk. There is a flea that stings you and makes you go crazy. :)
The performances are quite good. Ron Perlman is pretty good as the dimwitted One. The little girl is good too. The actor who plays the clones is awesome too. (this actor was also in Alien Resurrection, in the wheelchair thing... Jeunet also directed that film)
The special effects are amazing. When a few of the clones slap each other in the face in one moving shot, you can't help but say "Cool"or something.
The style of the film is interesting too. There are odd camera angles. The lighting in this film is probably the best lighting I have ever seen. Music is used to good effect as well.
The film is presented in 1:85 widescreen. Anamorphic video.
Languages are original French, 2 channel surround.
Eng dub 2 channel surround
Spanish, stereo
There are also french, eng and spanish subs.
Extras we get a production sketch gallery, a costume gallery, trailer, production notes and talent files. There is also a commentary by the director and Ron Perlman.
Anyway, see this movie. Buy it too :)

Nick

Zodiac-Mindwarp
05-15-2003, 10:05 PM
Another great review KillSwitch!

I love this movie. I saw it a couple of times when it first came out on VHS, but I have never seen the American DVD anywhere except online. I will have to try and remember to add it to my next order from DeepDiscount.

dwatts
05-19-2003, 11:50 PM
Yes, it is with regret that I do not own this. I saw the R1 release - they pan and scanned it!!! Pity - brilliant film.

KillSwitch
05-20-2003, 08:31 PM
The R1 release has both full frame and wide screen formats on it. It's one of those flip discs. (one side full screen, the other widescreen) :)

Nick

Zodiac-Mindwarp
05-20-2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by KillSwitch
The R1 release has both full frame and wide screen formats on it. It's one of those flip discs. (one side full screen, the other widescreen) :)

Nick

I am very glad to hear this!

There is no way that I would be able to bring myself to order this great film if it was only presented full screen.

dwatts
05-21-2003, 03:24 AM
1. I love widescreen!

2. I dislike the double-sided discs. Hard not to scratch something - or finger print it :)

KillSwitch
05-21-2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by dwatts

2. I dislike the double-sided discs. Hard not to scratch something - or finger print it :)

Yeah, same here. I am very careful with my City of Lost Children disc. But still, there are a lil bit of fingerprints on it. Grrr!! Great film though. :) :)

Nick

Deaddevilman
05-25-2003, 06:06 AM
After all the reviews, I expected more from this film. It is good, but not great. I guess this is what Popeye on acid would look like.