PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone recommend some movies based on the following...

DVD Connoisseur
12-25-2000, 09:45 PM
Picking just 3 recommendations is difficult but here goes anyway!

Check out Exorcist III - it's a very atmospheric movie with the best "boo!" scene I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing. If you liked The Exorcist, I think you'll enjoy the third installment in the series.

My second recommendation is the original Evil Dead. A classic. Enough said.

Last, but not least, why not try a Dario Argento movie? Deep Red is a good introduction and is worth repeat viewings.

Hope this is of some use.

thechile
12-25-2000, 09:48 PM
Thanks for that DVD Connoisseur.

I have seen lots of stuff on Evil Dead II but i'll need to check out Evil Dead.

I have been intrested in Deep Red for a while but i was not sure if it was in Italian or if it was 100% dubbed. If so is it a good dub?

Thanks again,
Scott

Vdlman
12-26-2000, 03:40 AM
If you like cannibal movies, check these out:

Motel Hell
Society
Flesh Eating Mothers
Gore-Met, Zombie Chef from Hell
Blood Diner

Mark Relford
12-26-2000, 04:20 AM
The Chile, here are some DVD recommendations:

Night of the Living Dead (Elite)
The Omen
Rosemary's Baby
Se7en
Living Dead Girl
Demons
Phenomena
Phantasm

------------------
"Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"

"They're back from the grave and ready to party!"

thechile
12-26-2000, 05:08 AM
Hi again,

After my last post of finaly finding out the name of a long lost movie only to discover that its not out on video or dvd http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/frown.gif i am looking for some horror/thriller dvd recomendations.

I by no means have a huge horror archive but i do like the genre and would like to buy more.

I will list some of my fav horror/thriller movies below and if anyone knows any other movies that follow the same lines then i would love to here the names of them.

The Texas Chainsaw Masacre
Cube
American Psycho
Stigmata
Hellraiser
Exorcist
Brainscan
Psycho ( original )
Blair Witch Project

Thanks for reading,
Scott

joltaddict
12-26-2000, 07:50 AM
IMO, your missing two of the best in Halloween and Evil Dead. Some might argue but in my eyes they along with TCM are must-haves. Rosemary's Baby is really good as well, judging by what you have I would recommend that over Deep Red. I love Deep Red it's one of my fav DVDs but if you taste runs more to Blair Witch and Stigmata you may find it a little inacessible.

Also seconding Mark Relford's suggestion of Seven, a great movie and an unbelievably great DVD.

------------------
Further Proof of my Obsesive-Compusive Disorder (http://www.crosswinds.net/~joltaddict/dvdcatalog.htm)

DVD Connoisseur
12-26-2000, 02:07 PM
I can't believe I missed Halloween! joltaddict's recommendation is spot on - Halloween is the ultimate slasher movie (in fact, to refer to it as a "slasher" is probably understating the movie). It is well directed, well acted and the music is unforgettable. I must have seen Halloween 20+ times and it still delights. Give this one a try!
In answer to your query, Deep Red is a good dub. In the dubbed version, there are subtitles in a few "extended" scenes.

DVD Connoisseur
12-26-2000, 02:36 PM
Further to my previous post, the Deep Red DVD comes with an Italian language/English subtitles option, so you can enjoy "the best of both worlds"!

landrvr
12-26-2000, 03:25 PM
whoa, whoa, WHOA!

let's not get into the italians just yet. Bava, Fulci, and Argento are an aquired taste. one must e a s e into them. particularly if the budding horror fan is an american.

i think Night of the Living Dead, Phantasm, and the Evil Dead are all excellent places to begin.

the Italians films are tricky - not everyone likes them. the way the directors pace their films is very different (this includes 'mainstream' films as well). i'd say the Italian horror films place much more emphasis on overall atmosphere and visual impact than plot, character development, and acting. i'd definitely recommend renting some of the Italian films before buying.

DVD Connoisseur
12-26-2000, 03:31 PM
Yes, in retrospect, I may have been hasty in recommending Deep Red. Still, it's a great psychological suspense film with more than a few shocks and surprises. Well worth the rental price, me thinks!

landrvr
12-26-2000, 03:49 PM
Deep Red also has an excellent performance by british actor David Hemmings - most recently seen in Gladiator. there's an exception to the 'acting bit' i spoke about. he gives an amazing performance in Deep Red!

Vdlman
12-26-2000, 06:20 PM
I have another cannibal recommendation, Parents starring Randy Quaid. It's available on DVD from Pioneer Entertainment. Although it's full-frame only, the transfer is pretty decent.

AceRimRat
12-26-2000, 09:49 PM
Many worthy titles offered above.

I'm inclined to agree with those who suggest a delay before jumping into the Italian stuff. Maybe, if you like gore, try New York Ripper by Fulci as a start? It's a pretty straightforward slice-n-dicer.

My taste in movies differs from yours, chile, but I'd suggest at least renting Carpenter's The Thing - it's got plenty of blood, good acting, several scares and memorable scenes, and some great F/X. And the DVD has top-notch features, though it's one of Universal's pricey collector's eds.

Looking at your list, if you like Hellraiser, have you seen Hellbound (HR2)?

I see the recommendations for Halloween, and if you like really scary slashers, the original F13 and Elm Street both have their share of jump scenes, too.

The new Se7en set rocks, as well. In the serial killer-thriller vein, how about Silence of the Lambs, if you haven't seen it yet. The Criterion version has some great special features.

And if you like religious-themed stuff (I see Stigmata and the Exorcist on your list) have you tried the original Omen? It's cheesy, but it's one of the few films that really creeped me out.

And I'll close with the only movie that ever actually made me afraid of something: Jaws.