PDA

View Full Version : Darkness Falls

Hellbilly
05-24-2003, 01:17 PM
Here's yet another "Urban Legend" type horror film.

The story goes a little something like this: 150 years ago Matilda Dixon gave children a gold coin in exchange for their lost tooth but when one day two kids are missing townsfolk blame the old hag and hang her lynch mob style - but before she dies she curses the town big time.

Many years later (same town) a boy named Kyle loses his last baby tooth and yeah, he gets a nightly visit from The Tooth Fairy a.k.a. Matilda Dixon. She doesn't got any $$$ but claims a soul for her services in exchange anyways - she kills his Mom.
The police blame him for the murder and lil Kyle is put away into a mental hospital.

Another 12 years later a gal who goes by the name of Caitlin (Kyle's childhood girlfriend) is concerned about her little brother who just lost one of his choppers thus is afraid of the dark ... and afraid of the "Tooth Fairy". Caitlin soon remembers similar events taking place back then and calls up Kyle asking for help.

After Kyle arrives all hell breaks loose in the small town of Darkness Falls, which leads to a showdown in a Lighthouse between Kyle, Caitlin, her brother and Matilda ...

"Stay In The Light!"

Surprise! I liked this :)
That tooth fairy creature was one wicked fast moving swirling & snarling nasty little bitch! Coolness! :D
Darkness Falls didn't reinvent the genre but it surely was a fun (and very short) timewaster. It's a well produced popcorn flick - a no brainer but pretty slick directed even though it borrows heavily from other movies. So yeah, there were a few corny dialogues and plot holes and it was rated PG-13 - but the story was kinda semi-interesting and the acting was ok. Heck, there WERE moments of "tension" and yes, a few scenes made me actually jump thanks to excellent sound and editing. Should be watched with a good Digital Home Theater System.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00008LUNW.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

How's the DVD? Not bad!
The 16:9 enhanced 2.40:1 widescreen transfer is excellent! No complaints here. Same goes for the DD 5.1 audio track, gave my home theater system quite a workout.
Extras include the full screen version (blech), French language track, two audio commentaries, deleted scenes that were trimmed for pacing I suppose ... a making of and a fake documentary ala Blair Witch which was kinda lame though.
Not included are Trailers (bummer!) and that "Tooth Fairy" short which will be on the Euro DVD releases though.

Darkness Falls is a recommended rental at least.

Not recommended if your about losing a baby tooth :eek2: ;)

Beastus
05-24-2003, 08:54 PM
I also liked this movie a lot. Would recommend it to anyone who haven't seen it.

Zodiac-Mindwarp
05-24-2003, 09:27 PM
Good review H.B. I also enjoyed this one.

I thought the sound on the Digital 5.1 soundtrack was excellent.

I have only watched, but I plan on buying it in the near future to add it to my collection.

Mortis
05-24-2003, 10:13 PM
Did you download the short?

Originally posted by Hellbilly
Not included are Trailers (bummer!) and that "Tooth Fairy" short which will be on the Euro DVD releases though.

Hellbilly
05-25-2003, 05:09 AM
Nope, I didn't. Is it any good?

Andrew
05-25-2003, 05:49 AM
Ack, I really didn't like this one. Wish I'd spent the money somewhere else,

onebyone
05-25-2003, 09:14 AM
I agree with your review. I thought that I was the only one who found this movie pretty entertaining. :banana: I think the fact that the tooth fairy was so well done made it an easy sell for me.